how to break in a 420cc engine

Reaction score
ive read a bunch of stuff saying this and that but what is the proper way to break in a honda clone
start it up idle for 3 hours? go from reving up to idle to rev and cool down? run for 30 min full throttle and cool down?

what are your guys opinions on how to break in, everything i read basically disagrees with one another and i have a 420cc i need to break in and i have not broken in a engine before so lookin for some info on how
thanks for any help

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
3 straight hours of runtime at any rpm is wrong on many levels. There's only manufacturer's recommendations that can be called the official way of doing it, but I don't agree with them either.
I won't say any given set of rpm's is the best way to do it. I'll just say that steadily increasing levels of rpm for a few minutes each can't hurt. What few seem to recommend, but I believe strongly in, is running the engine to full operating temperature, spending a while at whatever rpm you're choosing, and then to full cooldown a handful of times during the break-in period.

opminipart2

Reaction score
ive broken in 420's many times heres a guide:
1. warm it up for 1-2 minutes
2. vary throttle from 1/4 to max for 10 minutes
3. vary throttle and revv under load for 20 minutes
4. change oil
5. you're done