Restoration of my childhood Kart

dsiek

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. I was just reunited with my childhood go kart and want to bring it back to life for my kids. And yes, I still remember hitting that oak tree resulting in the bent bumper as a child. I am debating on installing a Predator 212 or refurbishing the 5HP Briggs. The briggs runs, however the carb is worn out and would need replacing at minimum. Also, does anyone have recommendations on the max size tire to run? I need to get a little more ground clearance to utilize this machine on my property. With larger tires, I am also planning to run a hydraulic disc brake system on the rear axle. I am open to hearing any recommendations and suggested modifications!

IMG_2026.jpgIMG_2029.jpgIMG_2030.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Harbor Freight cost (more so if on sale), reliability, and ready status of a brand new Predator 212, save money overall.
Don't know what rims/tires you have there, but the largest gokart SPLIT rims for tubes are 6". If they had 4.10/3.50 x 6 tires on them, the overall height of the tires would be 12". Think you can get 14" for a split rim if you bought a wide enough rim.
Above that, it's all one piece tubeless rims. For example, my 8" rims have wide and narrow tire sets that are both 16" tall. You just figure half of your sprocket and if brake disc diameter subtracted from half of tire height to gauge ground clearance.
Add a double-sided sprocket guard if still worried about clearance.

dsiek

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Harbor Freight cost (more so if on sale), reliability, and ready status of a brand new Predator 212, save money overall.
Don't know what rims/tires you have there, but the largest gokart SPLIT rims for tubes are 6". If they had 4.10/3.50 x 6 tires on them, the overall height of the tires would be 12". Think you can get 14" for a split rim if you bought a wide enough rim.
Above that, it's all one piece tubeless rims. For example, my 8" rims have wide and narrow tire sets that are both 16" tall. You just figure half of your sprocket and if brake disc diameter subtracted from half of tire height to gauge ground clearance.
Add a double-sided sprocket guard if still worried about clearance.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will need to order larger rims to try to get 16" tires on the rear and 13" tires on the front. The tires on the front now are slightly under 9". This will probably require me to also need longer spindles in the front to manage the clearance issues with the frame.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You'll only get 16" tall tires by going to 1-piece 8" rim, and the hub pattern to match. Seems most bolt patterns being used are 4 x 4 (4 lugs, 4" bolt circle). Got both my sets from craigslist, 2 different golf cart owners.
The 6" size I mentioned before is as cheap as you'll find, but only 12" tall.
Most kart parts suppliers (BMI, GPS, MFG..........) sell spindles in axle lengths of 3", 4.5", 6".
For split rims, be sure the tubes are L-shaped stems, not straight ones.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Neat kart.

What do you mean when you say the carb is worn out? It very well could be, but it can be easily fixed with a carb rebuild kit and some seals.
I'd keep the engine but just freshen it up some--and then you will have your kids riding your childhood kart with the original engine (if it is indeed the original engine)...

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you are restoring this kart with your kids that would be the coolest thing I have seen here since the ones that built karts with their kids. Most Mommy/Daddy time like that they will remember all their lives. I still all these years later remember mine.

Hellion

Reaction score
The OP may never come back to read this (looks like life got in the way) but what IS that contraption over the right front wheel? 🤔

And why is there only one?

Hellion

Reaction score
My opinion:
I wouldn't do anything to this kart that couldn't be undone. It's not a restoration if you alter it from original. 😉

Get a set of larger wheels and tires
Set aside the cast Manco rims (and the Azusa Tri-Star on left rear)
Forget about hydraulic brakes. Just get a new band and drum if needed--they work fine
Get matching rim sizes front and rear--saves on the tire logistics: 1 size tire fits all. Why make the front lower than the rear?
I'd go for something like a 15x6.00-6 tire and get 6" rims at all corners; 5/8" ball bearings rims for the front and 5/8" keyed
live axle rims for the rear, or whichever fits. Not sure what your rear axle diameter really is.

Something like this Build Your Own 6" Tire Assembly but just for illustrative purposes. Not sure I'd want to buy from GPS anymore!

Here's the manual. It's a Manco 375 but has had various names like Lime Limo just like your Green Machine, as you know.
https://assets.americanlandmaster.com/uploads/manuals/Fun-Kart/375_operatorsmanual.pdf

dsiek

Reaction score
Hello,
I am back. Progress has been moving along slowly, but making progress.
I have the frame stripped and painted.
I have taken a lot of your advise and have started ordering parts.

I also fabricated a device to allow adjustable pedal positions (allows for a shorter child). I will post some pictures of that soon.

I was able to remove the graphics mostly intact. I am trying to find a local sign shop to make up new vinyl decals to replicate.

tempImage3FVlfr.jpg

dsiek

Reaction score
My opinion:
I wouldn't do anything to this kart that couldn't be undone. It's not a restoration if you alter it from original. 😉

Get a set of larger wheels and tires
Set aside the cast Manco rims (and the Azusa Tri-Star on left rear)
Forget about hydraulic brakes. Just get a new band and drum if needed--they work fine
Get matching rim sizes front and rear--saves on the tire logistics: 1 size tire fits all. Why make the front lower than the rear?
I'd go for something like a 15x6.00-6 tire and get 6" rims at all corners; 5/8" ball bearings rims for the front and 5/8" keyed
live axle rims for the rear, or whichever fits. Not sure what your rear axle diameter really is.

Something like this Build Your Own 6" Tire Assembly but just for illustrative purposes. Not sure I'd want to buy from GPS anymore!

Here's the manual. It's a Manco 375 but has had various names like Lime Limo just like your Green Machine, as you know.
https://assets.americanlandmaster.com/uploads/manuals/Fun-Kart/375_operatorsmanual.pdf
Thank you for the info and recommendations. After some thought, I have decided to keep it fairly original, with some fresh paint, new wheels and tires, and a predator 212 that I purchased a while back.

I will set aside all of the original parts, the briggs and wheels. I like the idea of using the same size wheel all around.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I like the idea of using the same size wheel all around.
Remember about the 6" (largest) SPLIT rims..............No help or tire changer needed ever, they just bolt together onto the tire. Here's a sizing chart for understanding the numbers.................. 6" Studded or Knobby Tires for Go Karts & Mini Bikes | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply ..............Remember that only L-shaped valve stems on the tubes are easy............8-357 - 15 X 600 X 6 Tube L-Shaped Valve Stem | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply ..................Want to buy 1-piece (8" or more) tubeless rims? Here's some help..............
Manual Tire Changer (harborfreight.com).......................................Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Might I suggest one change. Instead of putting a clutch back on it you might want to consider going to a 30 series CVT with a back plate. If your ground is that rough it will live a lot longer. Just remember to use a Genuine Comet belt.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Might I suggest one change to that Predator 212cc also..............Predator 212cc Performance Stage 1 Kit | 621599P | BMI Karts And Parts

It's a little bit pricey, but not by much. Everything is bolt-on if you call screwing in the new jet a bolt-on thing. I mainly just wanted to highlight a kit that comes with the right kind of air filter adapter, an engineered venturi instead of just a hole in a flat billet block of metal, huge difference.
Note: It doesn't list them in the description, but you see in the picture it comes with 2 new longer studs for the carburetor. Rare, most kits have no new studs, or only 1 of them.
The stage 1 kit gives the biggest power increase for the dollars spent (bang for the buck) that you can get. Except maybe it would be a tie with the CVT Denny mentioned.

dsiek

Reaction score
Might I suggest one change. Instead of putting a clutch back on it you might want to consider going to a 30 series CVT with a back plate. If your ground is that rough it will live a lot longer. Just remember to use a Genuine Comet belt.
It has a Comet Torque Converter on it. I have the new Genuine Comet Belt on the workbench. Thank you for the advice. I have made the mistake of buying off brand belts before and have had terrible luck.

dsiek

Reaction score
Might I suggest one change to that Predator 212cc also..............Predator 212cc Performance Stage 1 Kit | 621599P | BMI Karts And Parts

It's a little bit pricey, but not by much. Everything is bolt-on if you call screwing in the new jet a bolt-on thing. I mainly just wanted to highlight a kit that comes with the right kind of air filter adapter, an engineered venturi instead of just a hole in a flat billet block of metal, huge difference.
Note: It doesn't list them in the description, but you see in the picture it comes with 2 new longer studs for the carburetor. Rare, most kits have no new studs, or only 1 of them.
The stage 1 kit gives the biggest power increase for the dollars spent (bang for the buck) that you can get. Except maybe it would be a tie with the CVT Denny mentioned.
Thank You,
I was thinking about upgrading the engine a little, just because it's fun. I am going to see how it runs stock first. Remember my kids will be driving this kart the most. I was actually thinking about getting the top speed limiter for the Comet CVT if the rig is too fast for my kids to be safe.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you go to Gokart Supply website I believe there is a speed calculator on there somewhere. Just punch in your tooth counts and tire size.

dsiek

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if taking a grinder to the converter back plate is a better idea than adding a spacer to attempt to get this Comet TAV2-30 to fit properly on the Predator 212.

Right now it's hitting on the oil fill port as well as bumping the cooling shroud on the cylinder head. It appears that it would need to come only about 1/8 - 3/16. But I haven't figured out if I will be able to adjust the primary clutch to align with the secondary correctly if I do shim it.

Did a little looking around, I guess it is a common problem. Just not convinced of the correct solution yet. I will definitely need to trip down the oil cap as well.

tempImagebFqLUW.jpgtempImageXbDjOL.jpgtempImagevzwSqt.jpg