Reusing a billet rod?

Coverfire

Reaction score
Hello, I was just curious if it is ok/safe to reuse an ARC billet rod on a new Predator 212 after my current engine is worn out? Could I just get new bearings check oil clearances and use the old billet rod? Anyone have any experience reusing one or breaking one?

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
Technically yes, although aluminum connecting rods do have a finite fatigue life. It's going to be a judgement call on your part.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Hello, I was just curious if it is ok/safe to reuse an ARC billet rod on a new Predator 212 after my current engine is worn out? Could I just get new bearings check oil clearances and use the old billet rod? Anyone have any experience reusing one or breaking one?
You should be fine with new bearings and a good oil clearance, as long as you don't have any play in the wrist pin, or exessive wear at the wrist pin.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Good to know! Thank you for mentioning this. So I take it that you have reused rods and just replaced bearings and rod bolts without any issues?
Yes, I do it a lot actually.
I race outlaw modified dirt karts and go through the engine every 4-5 races. I have a rod in one from 2014 that holding strong, and it’s seen 9000+ rpm on many Saturday nights.

Coverfire

Reaction score
Wow! A new engine every 4 to 5 races? Well, I just youtubed outlaw dirt karting and I see why! That looks fun as hell! What engines do you use and how much run time per engine do you think? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long the built Predator 212 on my yard kart will last. I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on driver and abuse but just trying to get an idea how long before I have to swap engines. How do you know when to swap yours? Do you just feel the power dropping?

Last edited:

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I
Wow! A new engine every 4 to 5 races? Well, I just youtubed outlaw dirt karting and I see why! That looks fun as hell! What engines do you use and how much run time per engine do you think? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long the built Predator 212 on my yard kart will last. I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on driver and abuse but just trying to get an idea how long before I have to swap engines. How do you know when to swap yours? Do you just feel the power dropping?
its preventative maintenance. I run a 238cc Tillotson on my kart which is similar to a predator, but bigger.
On a yard kart you can get a whole lot of enjoyment out of a built predator, we rpm the heck out of ours, so they’re higher maintenance.