GX390 Build

Mammoth

Reaction score
Im learning just like everyone else. I have smart friends and a pile of books that help me build things.

The best thing to do is get the engine breathing. The stock carb that comes with these engines is a restriction. Get a motorcycle carb. I like Dellorto they flow better than most and are straight forward on tuning. Good priced ones can be found on eBay if you search.

If you have a welder you can make an intake tube to the proper length. I built one out of steel for a 420cc some years back. It was made from scrap and works great.

Build a proper size and length exhaust pipe. 18 gauge 180* degree steel U bends can be found on eBay. If you don't know how to build pipes and your motivated a good book that will walk you through the steps is A Grahm Bell Four Stroke Performance Tuning. It might take a couple hours of reading and understanding, but it is possible and worth the effort.

Find a big air filter. The bigger it is the less the restriction. Here is a pic of the 420 I built.

Round off the 90* edge on the exhaust valve. It can be spun in a drill press and sanded off, or spun in a hand drill.
This lets the spent gasses pass by and out the exhaust better.

You could put a smog check valve on like I did to the 390. This always makes a noticeable difference.

When you start making hp you will put more strain on the internals like the connecting rod. These connecting rods look pretty fragile to me.
There might be enough left in the budget to get a billet rod.

The next level would go outside the budget. Take off the governor and get a billet flywheel.

When I build an engine I never set a budget aside. I more or less buy one part at a time as the money comes in. Kind of a step process.

Mammoth

Reaction score
Still working on many projects and fitting this one in. Traded a old mountain bike for a crusty jet ski trailer. Took it all the way down and built it all the way back up. Replaced lots of parts and single staged painted the rest. The previous owner couldn't believe how it turned out. He said "its like brand new".

The boat is coming along. Getting lots of practice with the welder. Getting more comfortable with it every day. Learning from my mistakes and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Its not too hard to do a straight weld, but many of the welds are at angles that make it a lot more challenging to make look good.

This is the perfect project to learn how to tig weld on. Four of the welds are over 10' feet long.

Mammoth

Reaction score
Yes this will be for exploration of rivers and lakes. I kept taking a Zodiac to British Colombia to look for Slumach lost mine, but I kept having prop strikes on the river bottoms and sunken tree stumps. I needed a nuke proof boat that won't damage the prop. This boat was the answer.

Most people build them for speed, but this one will be built for getting way out there and back. Trying to keep it as light weight as possible and use minimal fuel.

This is a learn how to tig weld project for me, no spool gun. I knew it would be lots of welding. I just got done welding about 15' feet worth and its 100* degrease Fahrenheit outside.

It will end up being like a go kart for water.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I would like to know more of this really cool build also. We know that the wheels will be the last thing you do (wink, wink). I like differently styled gokarts. I hope you will share with us.

Mammoth

Reaction score
This is a Mini Jet Inc. Avenger kit. I chose them over the others because this one looked lighter and it didn't have the top part of the windshield bent forward. I think they do that to keep water from splashing over, but thats the worst spot on any vehicle to put a forward facing lip because it causes a huge amount of wind drag which reduces gas milage.

Ive had the boat upside down for the last several days welding the inside and sweating in the heat.
Still have to weld on the windshield, and then begin constructing the tunnel for the propeller.

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
Mammoth this has been a very impressive project the GX390 you built for this boat is the most impressive build I have seen anywhere on the internet for recreational use. The only other engines of this caliber are meth drinking monster that only see race tracks or drag strips. Your build made me feel better for the fact that I just spent over 2500 on parts to get my 460 pushing my off road go cart going like I think it should. I only wish I had the means to build a head like yours

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
Denny you need to checkout Mammoths GX390 thread and that is the heart of this river monster. I promise you it would cost me close to 2000 to have a head like he built.

Mammoth

Reaction score
Ive been meaning to get some work done on that head so I got to it today. Drilled the hole for the compression release. This is the third one I've done. The other two worked out, but this one had a little too much angle and it ended up right next to the valve seat. Its always a tough guess at the angle, but it should work just fine.

Drilled and tapped holes for studs.

Still have a few things left to do, than I will clean up all the welds and it will be ready.

IsaiahRide

Reaction score
The progress of this project looks nice. I am excited to see how it will turn out.
By the way, you can check 4WheelOnline in case you need a new set of tires on your upcoming build.

Last edited:

Mammoth

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what it puts out. People claim all sorts of numbers on the web, and if I've learned one thing over the years most of the numbers people claim are usually far north of reality. So I will get to see for myself what these do on a properly tuned dyno.

I spent part of the day strengthening the dyno frame. It will run a 150 hp four cylinder engine no problem, but when we put this high compression single on it shook the beans out of it during start up and idle. Big singles are hard on dynos.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Nice job on raising the ports. Aren’t you worried about the intake valve being so shrouded or is there more room than in the pictures? The hole you drilled for the decompression valve makes me a little nervous. I wish I had a tig and could use it. I always had to preheat with a torch and then mig a little and back and forth. Your doing a beautiful job on everything!

Mammoth

Reaction score
It was cut with a radius tool so it has a good amount of space, camera angle doesn't show it.

Yeah I'm not too happy with the hole location, but thats where it landed. The valve seat has enough tension to hold itself in place so I feel its safe to run.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
🦣 please don't take this wrong, why did you miss the angle using a sine plate? Couldn't you draw the chamber and pick up center of the sparkplug hole and use that as x/y zero? Just curiosity, I love this build.
How exactly does the valve work? Just pull up, start and push back down?

Mammoth

Reaction score
Well, really the angle was good. Where I messed up was going too far in. If you look at the pic you can see a half circle sharpie mark on the fin. If I had gone through that mark I would have nailed it. At the last minute I second guessed myself and went deeper.

With the valve I follow a step process. Pull the cord slowly until compression. Depress the switch. Pull the cord slowly almost through the compression stroke, then reset the pull cord and give it a full pull. Upon combustion the valve closes itself.

Never had a pullback using this method thank goodness. Those things are brutal.