Harbor Freight Welder (Chicago 125 Flux) Good For Go Kart Frame?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Anybody ever build a frame with one of these HF flux welders? I recently picked up a Chicago 125 Flux harbor freight welder for $70 on OfferUp. Only 3 weeks old. It already had an upgraded ground clamp and new wire. Been welding on some scrap metal to practice, and also welded a crack on my kart's frame, but I'm just wondering if this welder would be good enough to weld together a whole frame with.

jamyers

Reaction score
Best recommendation I can make it so head over to youtube, and pull up Weld.com's videos on flux core welding. Watch them, then practice, practice, practice...

Also, lots of people overlook the importance of getting the metal they're welding CLEAN. I say, it needs to be CLEAN!

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Best recommendation I can make it so head over to youtube, and pull up Weld.com's videos on flux core welding. Watch them, then practice, practice, practice...

Also, lots of people overlook the importance of getting the metal they're welding CLEAN. I say, it needs to be CLEAN!
I think he forgot, you need to practice.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
trust me the importance of cleaning is insane on flux on this weak little welder if there is a speck of dirt r rust your weld will be real bad and not stick

jamesdow

Reaction score
I'd recommend using the Hobart Handler 140. It's pretty cheap and easy to use. You can flux core. Here is a review and tutorial to weld flux core with this hobart welder:

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I used a similar Century flux core welder to make a battery platform for the back of my kart and it has held the 49lb battery with no problems even with extremely rough riding. I also made a gokart hitch to pull my kids in their bike trailer (slowly), fixed and strengthened the front assembly for an electric jeep, and built a strong trellis for a misfit rose bush that destroyed the previous store-bought trellis. I found that dialing the settings a bit lower than suggested worked best (6/6). I don't doubt the strength of the welds; they can just require a bit of cleanup with occasional spatter.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Done correctly, flux core welding is as strong as stick welding. It's basically stick welding in a spool. Go look up "Welding tips and tricks.com"; his breakdown on how to do it is way more in depth than I can try to explain using just word's here....

Jims83cj5

Reaction score
I'd recommend using the Hobart Handler 140. It's pretty cheap and easy to use. You can flux core. Here is a review and tutorial to weld flux core with this hobart welder:

My first welder, loved it, it runs on a 20 amp 120, flux core or gas, good welder made by Miller now I think

lug-nuts

Reaction score
IF you go the HF route, then I recommend doing the rectifier mod. That machine is A/C output, the bridge rectifier makes it D/C output, and it welds way better. You can pick up 100 amp 1000volt 3 phase bridge rectifier on amazon for about 10 bucks. There are videos how to install it, but its basically undo a few wires inside and install this between them. Pretty easy and makes that cheapie unit run really good. Now the videos will tell you to add a GIANT capacitor to it, you dont need to. I did the capacitor, and it wasnt worth the time, money and effort. Welds were way better after the mod.

I got about 400 hours out of the HF unit before it died. I now have the Hobart handler, great machine. Whatever your budget is either will work, just know the HF wont last as long as a good name brand.

Rat

Reaction score
I just realized this thread is 2 years old. Guess im a day late and a dollar short.
As they talk trash on the little Chicago Electric welder, I've been abusing one for the last 4 years and it works just as well as the day it struck its first arc... it's a solid unit even without whatever mod you were spouting off about

lug-nuts

Reaction score
I didnt see anyone talk trash about the little mig welder that could. It will stick metal together right outta the box, but the penetration and the welds tend to be a bit lacking.

Based on my experience, it's one of china's finest welding machines for under 100.00 I put well over 400 hours on mine before it gave up the ghost.

As for as spouting off, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've actually done the mods and wore one of those cheap mig welders out. That unit is ok at best. I'm not knocking it, im simply telling everyone what my experience was with it.

My post was for squidbonez, apparently you thought I wrote it for you. It's too bad you're not open minded enough to accept suggestions, which would otherwise make your life better. That little mig is a way better machine with the 10 dollar mod and 30 minutes of time invested.

Have a great day !

mouthfulloflake

Reaction score
I will look into that DC mod for my little cheap wirefeed welder, thanks Lug-Nuts!

I also have the little inverter TIG machine from harbor freight, and it works pretty well too