Getting this go-kart running for my granddaughters

Boompa

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the sprocket, found one and it arrived here a couple of days ago. It is installed and looks like it will work well. I have taken some time off the project for health reasons, but I'll be getting back to it after the holidays. All the help I have getting is greatly appreciated.

Boompa

Reaction score
We'll started back to work on the project a few days after Thanksgiving. Everything is installed, we put in a Briggs & Stratton 306 cc 10 HP engine electric start tested it last Saturday it ran good, top speed thirty five mph. We had some wobble in the front right wheel decided to replace the struts. The struts will arrive tomorrow final tests should take place this weekend. If all goes well I will post some pictures of the finished product.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
Nice! what is the gear ratio? must be a 7:1 or a 6.5:1 for it to only go 35 with 10hp. I hope the final test goes well so you can post some more pics

Boompa

Reaction score
We are running 6:1 with a 420 chain this weekend we are also going to try a 4:1 with a 50 chain just to see the difference in performance. We are a bit concerned about chain ware if we stay with a 420 chain.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
4:1 is very high. I would stick with the six to one. but pics would be greatly helpful. If you want to go faster I would remove the governor, and also make sure you have the throttle screw backed all the way out.

Boompa

Reaction score
We received the struts on Sunday and put it all back together. Staying with the 6:1 ratio it ran a top speed of thirty four which is fast enough. Going to test run it for the next couple of days, than put it in the barn till Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_171539995.jpg
    IMG_20201213_171539995.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201213_171525116.jpg
    IMG_20201213_171525116.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

Boompa

Reaction score
If all goes well we plan on loading it on the trailer Christmas day and taking over to my daughters. She lives on ten acres at the end of the driveway we are going to cover it with a big red and green sheet than drive down to the house.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
super cool, I hope It is a beautiful day on Christmas so the sheet does not get all gross. I hope your granddaughter love it!

Boompa

Reaction score
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, I will try to figure out the video thing and post after the holidays and once again thanks for the help.

Boompa

Reaction score
We'll the holidays are over and all went well. We delivered the kart to my granddaughters on Christmas morning, to say they were happy and surprised would be an understatement. The weather was nice and the girls spent most of the day driving. Later in the afternoon the youngest (10 yrs old) came walking back to the house. She told me the kart had stopped the motor was running but the kart was not moving. My son who was on leave and visiting for the holidays went with me to check it out. The chain had come off, in my hurry to finish before Christmas I forgot to install the chain tension sprocket. We took it home that night and the next morning finished it up. The girls came over and had a ball and no more chain problem. The 13-year-old drives with great reserve while the 10-year-old is very challenging she has already set up a half mile course for herself and is running time trials. Once again thanks for all the help and advice.