Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM
furyus's Avatar
furyus furyus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Percival Hellcat

Bought myself a way cool old kart - 1960 Percival Hellcat. Gonna take a bit of time and a pile of money to get her where I want her, but looking forward to the process. Not even going to attempt a factory restoration, but will be building a custom live axle rear-end with the help of a very talented chassis builder. I love vintage karts, but I look at them more like hot rods, where you keep the look but update components. It'll definitely be one of a kind when she's finished - someday.

More to come.

furyus
Attached Thumbnails
hellcatprofile.jpg  
  #2  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 AM
sideways's Avatar
sideways sideways is offline
Unfinished projects king.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,508
Thanks: 42
Thanked 147 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyus View Post
Bought myself a way cool old kart - 1960 Percival Hellcat. Gonna take a bit of time and a pile of money to get her where I want her, but looking forward to the process. Not even going to attempt a factory restoration, but will be building a custom live axle rear-end with the help of a very talented chassis builder. I love vintage karts, but I look at them more like hot rods, where you keep the look but update components. It'll definitely be one of a kind when she's finished - someday.

More to come.

furyus
What kind of engine are you going to use? Something 2 stroke?

Hayden
  #3  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 AM
furyus's Avatar
furyus furyus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
What kind of engine are you going to use? Something 2 stroke?

Hayden
Long way from powerplant selection yet. If you had original on one end of the spectrum and stupid radical at the other, I'd say I'm in the closer end of middle towards stupid radical, if that makes sense.

furyus
  #4  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
sideways's Avatar
sideways sideways is offline
Unfinished projects king.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,508
Thanks: 42
Thanked 147 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyus View Post
Long way from powerplant selection yet. If you had original on one end of the spectrum and stupid radical at the other, I'd say I'm in the closer end of middle towards stupid radical, if that makes sense.

furyus
Okay, I was saying a 2 stroke because they look "right" on karts like that, where as a clone is quite ugly in comparison IMO. 2 strokes also go faster .

Thanks

Hayden
  #5  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
furyus's Avatar
furyus furyus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Okay, I was saying a 2 stroke because they look "right" on karts like that, where as a clone is quite ugly in comparison IMO. 2 strokes also go faster .

Thanks

Hayden
Can't really say what'll end up powering the Percival. The only real issues I have with period-correct two-strokes is parts availability and cost. I've got to get my Rupp shredding tires before I spend much time or thought on the Hellcat, anyway.

If you need an idea of where I'm coming from, I removed a perfectly good B&S ohv engine from the Rupp just because it looked awful. The kart came from the factory with a Tecumseh 3 1/2, but will probably end up with a smaller B&S flathead.

furyus
  #6  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Kenny_McCormic Kenny_McCormic is offline
Kartless....
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan Troll
Posts: 4,537
Thanks: 10
Thanked 197 Times in 179 Posts
Default

You could use a KT100 (or three) that would look right.
  #7  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM
solomon solomon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 1,585
Thanks: 60
Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I have a Tecumseh HS50 (5hp?) its old, 50s-60s? I have no idea i can get the numbers tomorrow, could be 70s. Anyway its all taken apart, i would tale $55 for it, has a rebuilt carb, lapped valves, honed cylinder, just needs reassembly.
  #8  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Russ2251's Avatar
Russ2251 Russ2251 is offline
2 Cycle Powered GoKarts
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,936
Thanks: 121
Thanked 504 Times in 448 Posts
Default

Of the 2 I've seen, both had West Bend power plants.
__________________
Completely Clueless
  #9  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
furyus's Avatar
furyus furyus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2251 View Post
Of the 2 I've seen, both had West Bend power plants.
According to the old ads I have, they came with Clintons and West Bends. Aren't you the one who has the dual Lawn-Boy kart? That's pretty cool.

furyus
  #10  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Russ2251's Avatar
Russ2251 Russ2251 is offline
2 Cycle Powered GoKarts
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,936
Thanks: 121
Thanked 504 Times in 448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Aren't you the one who has the dual Lawn-Boy kart?
Yup...I like it when the 4 cycle guys to think they're having all the fun.
__________________
Completely Clueless
  #11  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
fowler's Avatar
fowler fowler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bullsbrook West Aus
Posts: 5,101
Thanks: 54
Thanked 381 Times in 350 Posts
Default

biggest is best
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.