Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Belt width on a Vector 4170 Go Kart

I replaced the belt on our kart with one from a local lawn & garden shop. However, now the kart wants to move forward even when the throttle isn't being pushed. The manufacturers site doesn't give any "specs" on the belt and I was hoping to find one locally. The driven pulley is 6" in diameter and the distance between the shafts (center to center) is 7 and 1/8". Manco's part # is 14704 and it's asymmetrical. Can anyone tell me where I can find out how wide this belt should be? (5/8" ...3/4")
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Kart Aficionado

What was the number of the belt the lawnmower shop gave you? I'd like to refer you to the post I have regarding Torque Converters.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthr...near#post91867

If that link works, if not, thats cool too.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM

I saw your other post but I'm a little confused as to how I would figure out the cross referenced number.... I don't think the belt from the L&G shop was even the right belt... it looked square to me... he just tried to find one the same length as the torn up one that came off of it. He didn't reference any numbers. (by the way, your post did help me understand A LOT more than I did previously....I didn't even know that the driven pulley was called a torque converter)
The Following User Says Thank You to gofortheheart For This Useful Post:
Blazkowiez (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Kart Aficionado

You know its Asymmetrical. Typically Manco used a #203589 belt, it was the corresponding number to Manco 5959. Measure your driven clutch for its diameter, then measure the exact center to center on the bolts down to the 1/16th of an inch.

Is there a number on the belt he sold you?

Good to hear its doing some good.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 AM

threw the cardboard sleeve away.... I think the belt he sold me is too short. When idling, the driven pulley closes up and pushes the belt out to the edge...when that happens, it's pulling the belt tight against the engine drive shaft... as I said in the original post....driven pulley is 6" in dia and the distance from bolt to bolt is 7 1/8".... looks to me like the chart you posted cross references the 203590A ... 994-75 ... does that sound right?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Kart Aficionado

It doesn't sound right for Manco, it does however sound right for a Chinese kart. I'd bet he sold you a 203589 belt. It will have markings on the side of the belt, post all the numbers. The packaging doesn't matter that much.

If Manco is importing these karts from China then it would make perfect sense that it would be using a 203590 belt. Those Mitsubishi karts they sold at Northern tool use that belt, as does the Baja Blaster 65. Both of those are Chinese.

Traditionally though, Manco used 203589. If you have this thing engaging immediately you may have weak springs, and/or a dirty drive clutch. With the engine off and the drive clutch disengaged (put your hands around the drive clutch and pull very hard until it returns back into the clutch, running the kart without a belt will leave the clutch engaged, it is your duty then to pop it back into place, if clean its not too hard, if dirty you may need to disassemble.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM

I was wondering which belt was the one to use. I have the same cart a 4170 and the part number is 14704. Which one do I need to use?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I was wondering which belt was the one to use. I have the same cart a 4170 and the part number is 14704. Which one do I need to use?
Dont bump 9 month old threads. Start a new one. Welcome to the forums.