Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Band to bisc brake conversion?

I have a live-axle 2 seat kart (possibly a Ken-Bar Streaker) with a 6.5HP clone on it. The stock setup used a band brake, and it doesn't have much stopping power, especially with the added weight of me (225lbs). With just the kids (or small adults) it's not so bad. I'd like it to be safer for the kids before really turning them loose, so I was thinking about a disc brake conversion.

I was thinking about going with a mechanical caliper for simplicity's sake, but I could handle hydraulic too if it's really that much better. Not sure how to accomplish the mounting and everything, though. I'm guessing it would be best to put it on the passenger's side? Here's a pic of my rear end - it's the best one I have at the moment.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Doin It!!

hydraulic would be better but the brake caliper from most lawn tractors can be used as they have plenty stopping power.

These carisles have more than enough stopping power for your kart

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Carlisle-Caliper-...item5ad001cb28
Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranM View Post
hydraulic would be better but the brake caliper from most lawn tractors can be used as they have plenty stopping power.

These carisles have more than enough stopping power for your kart

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Carlisle-Caliper-...item5ad001cb28
99% of lawnmowers use disc brakes built into the transaxle, that will not stop a mower going more than 10mph. A few use band brakes, zero to none use a good disc setup.

Snowmobiles all use disc brakes, some mechanical some hydraulic.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,638 Posts

As long as you don't get the disk brake of a teeny lawn tractor ( my stupid little Crapsman has a pathetic little 2.5" disk) you should be fine. Like the Kaptain said, that brake barely stops the tractor...Uphill...With the engine off...
Aside from that, even a mechanical caliper would likely have more stopping power than a band brake.
I have seen kits on EvilBay for 30-40 bucks that are for minibikes that consist of a hydraulic master, caliper, and hose. I don't know if they have enough oomph for a kart.
Or, hit the junkyard. My kart uses the clutch master cylinder from a Toyota pickup truck, mated to a mid '70's Mercedes caliper.
And yes, I think you'll have to put it off to the right.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Hey, that reminds me - I have the remnants of a decent sized (17HP I think) mower out in the woods - left there by the prior owners when we bought the house! It's missing the motor, but the rear end is all there. Maybe I should drag that puppy up and see what it has for brakes. Maybe I can get a cheap brake upgrade off it.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,638 Posts

Go, good sir knight. Bring forth ye relic, and godspeed! Forget not thy camera!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Doin It!!

we have those carisles setup on quality brakes discs and they have the best stopping power i have ever seen

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/album.p...&pictureid=428

I would well recommend them.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Get some snowmobile brakes! You can find them cheap, just make sure you bleed them gooood!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Kart Aficionado

A properly setup 4 inch band brake, not the trash band brakes they sell at northern tool which are just rubber should lock up your rear axle every single time, much better than a 6" mechanical disk. When in proper working order the band should be better than the comparable mechanical disk, not hydraulic but mechanical. Hydraulic would be best but also very expensive. If you want excellent stopping power using a mechanical brake go with an 8" disk though you would be cheaper off with a 6" drum and disk.

Something must be wrong, on our magnum karts we use dual 4" band brakes and it locks it up with 2 10hp Tecumsehs no problem at all.

Have you considered an internal expanding brake assembly? This would achieve perhaps the best stopping though you may spend over 100 dollars.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Doin It!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr dragster Tyler View Post
Is that the mechanical style same as the AirHeart ones from like Northern Tool? If so I have that style but the stock steel rotor that's compatable with the caliper and the brakes work OK for a bit then they really start to suck.

Yea, its basically the same idea. the rotors are the same as these

http://www.kartpartsuk.com/index.php...sc_200mm_x_6mm
Closed Thread