Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Mechanical Brake mounting question

Hey guys - seeing as most go kart parts come with no instructions...I mounted this mechanical disc brake and caliper as shown below on my live axel assembly, as well as I could could figure out.

Does this look close to correct? The stopping power is only fair during first test runs. I'd imagine if mounted and adjusted properly this brake should be able to lock up the rear wheels?

I know the mount is ugly - it's home-made - but it is pretty rock solid and plenty strong.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0438.jpg   IMG_0437.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
the names 'mater

i think it should be free floating? mine on my kart is free floating you may also have to adjust it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post
i think it should be free floating? mine on my kart is free floating you may also have to adjust it.
When you say free floating - can you give me a bit more description of what that involves? Is it mounting the caliper on a pivoting bracket of some sort?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
the names 'mater

mine is different from yours mine has two bolts goin through the main part of it that looks just like a cars brake caliper and thats just alowed to move side to side... not sure of your set up tho.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
KartRacer695

do both of the little brake pads move when you operate the brake? if only one moves then it should be free floating. which means the break caliper is kinda on rails and it can move side to side to apply equal pressure on each pad to the disc brake.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

That looks like a posi-stop brake. They dont float, both pads should move. I dont think those brakes have alot of stopping power, but better than band brakes.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,638 Posts

Where did you get it? If you can post a link to a sales page, we can examine it better.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Where did you get it? If you can post a link to a sales page, we can examine it better.
It came from Northern Tool - and there is a good picture of it at this link with product specs. In hindsight - I probably should have sprung for the hydraulic one, but was drawn to this one because it was (slightly) cheaper and looked like it was pretty heavy duty.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_24403_24403
Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer695 View Post
do both of the little brake pads move when you operate the brake? if only one moves then it should be free floating. which means the break caliper is kinda on rails and it can move side to side to apply equal pressure on each pad to the disc brake.
Both of them are supposed to move it seems - although one moves better than the other does. It reminds me of the same principle as a bicycle brake - with the two pads being forced together against a rotating surface - basically grabbing it from both sides.

Here is the link to the product:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_24403_24403
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM

well you could always add a second caliper to the disk and try to link the linkage... I think you can purchase the caliper seporate on other websites. You should also check to see if you could use a hydrolic set-up on that same disk... if you can then maybe you should just go hydrolic like you were saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshpit2003 For This Useful Post:
Stratogeezer (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratogeezer View Post
Both of them are supposed to move it seems - although one moves better than the other does. It reminds me of the same principle as a bicycle brake - with the two pads being forced together against a rotating surface - basically grabbing it from both sides.
On a bicycle V-Brake, there is an individually adjustable spring on each side to pre-load the arms such that they will pull equally. Otherwise, they will tend not to. I think that's the problem here. I also think based on leverage principles, you can't expect too much from this design. You might be able to get more oomph out of it if you can manage to extend the arms for more mechanical advantage.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Closed Thread