Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Make my own stator/charge coil?

On my gas driven Kart I have a honda gx160. There is a stock part that is a charging/stator coil that spins on the flywheel and recharges a battery to run an electric start. Looks like this http://www.bajamotorsportsonline.com...roducts_id=859 I want to run the current through a regulator/rectifiyer and a battery to power some lights.

I am intrested in trying to make my own coil. I have a whole gaggle of spare copper wire that I have pulled off of different motors that were going in the trash. Assorted gauges, lengths, insulated and not. Anyone know what they are doing here?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Should be in the shop...

i want to do the same. any help would be great.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 AM

This is a good start

Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Theres a GX160 wiring diagram showing the charge circuit here: http://www.honda-engines.com/Engines...s/37Z4F602.pdf

Unless someone has removed your origanal GX160 Rectifier it should still be in place. Look for one of these bolted on somewhere: http://www.2lcstore.com/catalog/item...56/6871288.htm

If your origanal Rectifier/wiring is still in place, It looks like all you'd need to do is conect your 12v. batteries + post up to the starter solenoids battery post connections, and run the battery's ground to the karts frame or engines base plate. This should be all you'd need to supply a few amps of charging curent for the battery, lights/etcetera whether you still have/or are using the electric starter or not.

As far as building your own coil, I assume your goal here would be for a higher output level for big driving lights. (right?)

Re-winding the corect number of turns of larger gauge/single strand wire with the special lacquer type insulation around your old charging coil pole pieces should theoretically produce more curent than stock. Doing this corectly on the first try would probably be a miracle. You'd also probably need a bigger rectifier and other related wiring to handle the increased output, and even if everything was done corectly and working... The charging circuit would take up more of your engines avalible power when it was producing more than your stock charging system.

A more realistic approach here might be swapping out the complete charging circuit from a larger sized engine that was designed to have a higher output level.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Should be in the shop...

what i was thinking was, do ignition coils produce a big enough votlage/ amps to charge a battery? if so could you mount a second ignition coil on the engine?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_chez_08 View Post
what i was thinking was, do ignition coils produce a big enough voltage/ amps to charge a battery? if so could you mount a second ignition coil on the engine?
No, this is a GX160 ignition coil: http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-10462.html Its only function is to produce spark to run the engine.

A Charging coil like this: http://www.bajamotorsportsonline.com...roducts_id=859 might look kinda simalar but Is diferent. Its made to conect through a rectifier to charge the battery and run the 12 volt accessories.

Both of these 2 diferent types of coils mount similarly and work off the magnets spinning by in the flywheel but they have 2 completly diferent functions. GX160 (and many other) engines that came with electric starters usualy have both types of these coils instaled . Pull start only models were usualy just equiped with the ignition coil.

So... you'd have to instal a charging coil, rectifier, wiring and the matching flywheel to have a charging system like the electric starter engines have.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 AM

I installed a lighting system on mine but was not happy with the battery only lasting an hour and a half. My engine is a gx200 clone with no charging system, I looked into getting the Honda parts to install but it was twice the cost of what I paid for the engine.

So, I did a little google research and found out you can use a 12v motor as a generator. I mounted an old 12v motor to the engine, used a vacuum cleaner belt off the spacer on the crank to spin it, and regulated the volts with an old Harley Sportster voltage regulator, and now I'm good to go. It didn't cost me anything seeing I had all the parts laying around. I will post some pics when I get my kart back to my house.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM

That reminds me of an old bicycle I had, it had a little generator that was powered by the wheel. Just flip it down to contact the wheel and the headlight would come on when you pedaled. The faster you went the brighter it was.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Mitsub, that's where my idea started, I had on of those at one time, but couldn't find it. That's when I used the 12v motor from an RV electric water pump, if you spin the armature it makes DC voltage. It is recharging a 12v 7 ah sla battery. But I had to install a diode inline to keep the battery from powering the motor. Also had to install a voltage regulator because it was putting out over 19v when I revved the engine, didn't want to fry my battery
Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
expert garbage picker

what did you use for a regulator i was trying to find a cheap option for a similar project
Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_head View Post
what did you use for a regulator i was trying to find a cheap option for a similar project
The regulator I used was off a '72 Harley Sportster
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Occational Annoyance

Wow, I was just talking to Freakboy about this.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
the names 'mater

lol weird eh? only one problem with the alternator it gotta spin pretty freely so it doesnt rob to much power from the engine.... mabey you have it geared so it dont spin to fast thus its easy to spin it and takes less energy to move it?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Occational Annoyance

Are you talking about the video?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
the names 'mater

no im talking about it was weird we were talking about that last night...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Occational Annoyance

Oh yeah... Last night.. Lol
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
the names 'mater

lol yeah.... the bike alternator is a good idea tho... small and easy to turn
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Finally got my kart back home. It has it's winter clothes on now
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0004.jpg   IMAG0005.jpg   IMAG0006.jpg  

IMAG0007.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
thinker and tinkerer

looks good daveon. with 19v being put out, you might think of doing the same for an electric motor to give you reverse. just a thought. that is a d.c. motor right? no need for a rectifier.:thumbs: we used to have those types of batteries for our torque masters, my brother used one to jump off our e-150 van. surprised me it had enough juice.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Mike, yup it's d.c., but I don't think it's working quite right with that regulator. At idle the motor only gives me about 7v, when I rev it out the max I get thru the regulator is only 12.6v. I guess I could change the pulleys to increase the rpms, but I put that together with parts I had laying around. My other thought is that the regulator was from a kickstart bike with no battery, I don't know what the max output is from it, but I would like to get it to about 14v. Does anyone have an answer or another way to regulate the voltage?