Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Comet TC belt adjustment

I just got a new go kart which has the comet 30 series with asymmetrical belt. How do i go about adjusting the tension on the belt, right now it is loose? I was able to put it on over the assembly without having to take anything apart.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM

No adjustment needed that's normal to be able to put the belt on that way, as long as you have to correct belt length for your TC setup just measure from the center of your crankshaft to the center of your jackshaft then go to here http://www.gokartsupply.com/beltchart.htm to confirm your belt size.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofarnorth View Post
No adjustment needed that's normal to be able to put the belt on that way, as long as you have to correct belt length for your TC setup just measure from the center of your crankshaft to the center of your jackshaft then go to here http://www.gokartsupply.com/beltchart.htm to confirm your belt size.
I measured the center to center distance and got 6.4 in instead of the smallest distance that website supplies. They said it would work and it does, but it wants to slip when you first give the kart gas and seems to be fairly loose.
30 Series
3/4" Asym
6" Driven
Outer
Circumference

994-70 6-15/16 to 7
Old 08-05-2009, 04:45 PM

If your jackshaft setup looks similar to this one http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachm...0&d=1247862787 I'd suggest that you drill new holes to mount your engine 1/2" further forward, you might get lucky and have slotted holes already. Your kart might have had a 7" driven pulley on originally and someone switched it with a 6", that would account for the length not being in the correct range.
The Following User Says Thank You to toofarnorth For This Useful Post:
lrs97gst (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
If your jackshaft setup looks similar to this one http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachm...0&d=1247862787 I'd suggest that you drill new holes to mount your engine 1/2" further forward, you might get lucky and have slotted holes already. Your kart might have had a 7" driven pulley on originally and someone switched it with a 6", that would account for the length not being in the correct range.
ah ha! there's the kinda answer i was looking for! so there is a motor mount plate and then this jack shaft plate sits on top of that? guess i need to pull the motor off and see what the deal is! but when i tighten the belt up by adjusting the motor plate, how are you supposed to getthe belt off and/or a new one on, if the new center distance is 6 15/16 like it's supposed to be?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Put the belt on the driven pulley and pull it so it bottoms out in the pulley then with it bottomed out it should have enough length to hook over the edge of the driver pulley and you should be able to turn the crankshaft to roll the belt on. That's how I did it on my gokart but I had a 7" driver so my longer belt might have had more slack then yours. If you feel like you might be damaging the belt doing it that way you should just take out the bolt that holds on your driver pulley and slip your pulley off enough to get your belt over it, and while you have your driver off you can clean and lube it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

so last night i got the opportunity to try to dismount the motor and see if i could do something with the jack shaft position. First of all the motor is mounted on a slotted plate which i would think is good news for me to get an initial adjustment. However, i don't see a mounting for the jackshaft, it seems to be connected all together...don't really know if i'm right, here's some pictures, any advice would be great.

ONCE AGAIN, I'M TRYING TO ADJUST THE DRIVER PULLEY AND OTHER PULLEY FURTHER APART TO GET RID OF BELT SLACK.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM

you have a comet Torq-a-verter It's different from what I described, as far as I know the tav only came with the 6" driven pulley so the distance between the pulleys should be optimal for a 203589A belt, are you sure you got 6.4" when you measured from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the jackshaft the welds on the backside of it look kind of ugly, like maybe it's been repaired at some point and the length got screwed up. You can probably get someone on here to measure their tav and see if it's the same length as yours. The slots that allow movement of your engine are so you can adjust your chain.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
you have a comet Torq-a-verter It's different from what I described, as far as I know the tav only came with the 6" driven pulley so the distance between the pulleys should be optimal for a 203589A belt, are you sure you got 6.4" when you measured from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the jackshaft the welds on the backside of it look kind of ugly, like maybe it's been repaired at some point and the length got screwed up. You can probably get someone on here to measure their tav and see if it's the same length as yours. The slots that allow movement of your engine are so you can adjust your chain.
yeah im almost positive that the distance is 6.4. i will re-measure tonight. So whats the welded plate for? how would i go about adjusting this 6.4 distance if i need to? I know i got the right belt, but let's just say after one day, there are several teeth missing on the belt
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM

You may want to just replace the plate. You can get one for 50$ on BMI.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead_hall View Post
You may want to just replace the plate. You can get one for 50$ on BMI.
why would i replace it? it was brand new? it's just going to do it again.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
the welds on the backside of it look kind of ugly, like maybe it's been repaired at some point and the length got screwed up.
This is why, If it was torn apart and re-welded its going to be hard to nail that exact measurement again. A new part from the factory would be more precise and possibly eliminate the issue your having. If not thats cool too. Whatever works for yah.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Is your driven pulley still true? it looks kinda beat up from the chain hitting it. Also it's hard to tell from the pics but are you sure that the driver pulley is a 30 series the sheave face on the engine side should be almost flat. One way to get more length out of the tav would be to drill new holes where it mounts to the engine you might have to elongate the hole where the crankshaft goes through too. I would start by starting a new thread asking others to measure their torq-a-verters just to confirm that yours isn't the right length though.
Closed Thread