Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Default My problematic Honda GX160

I bought myself a go kart last summer that I have been toying with. My problem arises in getting it to idle. I replaced the carburetor thinking that would solve the issue. I bought another OEM carb and installed it. It runs better but still refuses to idle. I have removed the external parts of the governor. Could this be part of my issue. When driving I can keep enough gas on to keep cruising around, however when I stop it dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In keeping with accuracy to the category is posted under I have a question not just about engines but about a clutch too! It is a centrifugal clutch that is supposed to be held on by a bolt through the end of the crankshaft. The issue is that there is a broken bolt stuck in the threads of the crankshaft. The clutch does have two allen head screws that torque in and attempt to hold on the clutch but never quite do the job.

Is there some other solution to hold on the clutch? Anyone ever drilled out the spots that those allen screws hold the clutch into the crankshaft? Should I take apart the engine, remove the internal parts of the governor and take apart the crank shaft (big deep breath) and have it machined? Any pictures that would help could easily be taken. I appreciate You taking the time to read this, and hope you will respond.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM

im sure you tried this for the idling problem..but i might try..did you check the idle adjustment screw? air/fuel mix adjustment also

the crankshaft..they have bolt out sets you can buy..might try one
Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Universal Remonster

you should to remove the internal parts of the governor before they become a problem, and it sounds like your Idle problem is lack of fuel. Maybe try to get a bigger jet for your carb or a # bit set and drill it out a bit bigger.

but do try that mixture screw first.

as far as your clutch goes you can take out the set screws and dimple the shaft with a drill bit and loctite them back in that should do it.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM

skid- i wasnt aware you can drill the jet bigger, i can do that?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 PM

I tried the bolt out method, it broke inside of the crankshaft. That is why I am inclined to not try to drill and tap myself as there is hardened steel encased inside it now. The idle screw I did play with and I haven't been able to find much success. The gx160 carbs are somewhat of a bolt on and go kind of carb not a ton of adjustment is my understanding. There is a "pitot seat" adjustment screw that is supposed to control the idle but hasn't. I thought replacing the carb would fix the issue. I suppose perhaps I should more fully explain the problem too, it doesn't come back down from high rpms as quickly as I would expect it to. I don't have a tach so I don't have a precise number, but I would guess after I hit the gas it hovers above 3k, and then very rapidly falls down to dying. Could it not being under load lead to the floating in high rpms? Either way it still does not want to idle.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

On a whim I decided to go take off the carb and clean it. When I went to take off the nuts holding it on I realized they were all quite loose. Silly me, apparently I ignored to put the thing on properly. I tightened them up and it is now idling like a champ. I think I had an air leak around the carb there. Skid I will try the dimpling/locktight plan. I hope it works out. I appreciate your guys quick response to my questions here.
Vandancouver as far as drilling out jets I found a excellent article and actually a excellent site for some engine tuning in general. http://www.affordablegokarts.com/Dri...ain%20Jets.php
Closed Thread