Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Default 10 tooth clutch vs 12 tooth clutch

Hi,

After much searching on a subject that I'm sure has been covered a million times.(with no luck)

10 tooth clutch vs 12 tooth clutch

I have a old 1 seater thunder kart that came with a 10t clutch. The thing would literally come unglued on our rock roads with just a tap of the gas pedal after I replaced the motor with a HF 6.5hp.

Well while trying to resurrect an old murry 2 seater with the stripped gear, jack shaft removed, I burnt the clutch. Wont try that again!!!!

So I'm hunting a replacement and was wondering the difference as the one I have (10t) seems to be a bit hard to find in a 35 chain and I hate to change a setup that worked really well. The 10t was awesome for this little kart. I mean we were drifting this thing around turns like crazy. Rocks flying everywhere.

If my logic is correct the 12t would make things better cause it will get more revolutions per turn then the 10t or am I just a moron?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro Junk Collector

12t will add a little top speed and take away a little acceleration. What size tires and axle sprocket do you have?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Thx for the quick reply KK. I've read many of your helpful replies.

It's one of those single wheel setups with about 60 teeth. The tires are kinda odd, 145/70/6. They are like 12" tall mudd grips.

I think I'm leaning towards the 10 teeth if I understand you correctly. I/we just love the radical takeoffs. Besides I dont need my son flying down gravel roads to fast. I was getting 29mph (gps checked) with the old 10t clutch so why fix it if it aint broke...ya know..

how do i find this speed calculator I've heard discussed? just math right??
thx
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Pro Junk Collector

speed calculator is here.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM

thx KK, I must be blind.

Now I know why this hasn't been covered much.

After further looking it seems like the chain dictates how many teeth will be on the clutch. I could only find 10t clutches in #40-41 chain without looking at the high dollar stuff.

I did find a used barstool contraption clutch with 18t. The speed cal says I would get 72mph with my setup. Yeah If I get a pull from a truck for take-off... I'll stick to 10t

Think I got lucky, found 2 new max torque clutches 10t/40-41 on egay for 23 bucks each? Well see if even 1 arrives...lol
thx
Closed Thread