Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Main Area

Notices

View Poll Results : 2019 BUILD OFF VOTE!
Yard Kart Therapy 11 40.74%
Ultimate Yard Kart 12 44.44%
MyloRam's Thumber 8 29.63%
Scrap Rod Build 7 25.93%
Yerf Doge 2 7.41%
Duropower El Cheapo Ressurection 6 22.22%
Road Runner Kart 8 29.63%
New Grandaddy Build (contd 2018) 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,041 Times in 435 Posts
Default Build Off Voting - Vote Now!

OK folks, VOTING IS OPEN!

It's that time again! Everyone has put down the welder for a minute, and it's time to see who had the coolest build of the last year!

Each year we encourage all members to enter our "build-off competition" in which members log how their progress is coming on their build, and if they finish during the calendar year, they are in the running for "Build of the Year"! We've had some great builds documented over the years and this year is no exception! What a list of great builds!

THANK YOU again to all the folks that help out newbies here on DIYGK. Karting is a fun hobby, and I'm glad when I see someone 'catch the bug' and get excited about building! That person may be next year's build off champ! Who knows!

This should be a list of everyone's qualified entries. If I have added a disqualifying (or missed a qualifying entry) please let me know ASAP.

We had a lot of great entries, so rather than only getting ONE vote, you can vote for your TOP 3 choices.

Take your time on voting. The poll is open for the next TWO weeks. Check out the build logs and see what looks good to you. Results will be released after voting is over!

Voting Guidelines:
Vote for the best build, in your opinion. We like to award points for several categories, including, but not limited to:

Overall design
Difficulty of the build
Uniqueness
Construction quality
Paint
Awesomeness factor

In short, it's a subjective vote, and you get to vote! Weigh the options before voting!

The WINNER will receive full bragging rights! (and a T-shirt if we have your size!).

ENTRANTS: IF YOU CAN EDIT YOUR ENTRY OR POST A 'FINAL' UPDATE ON YOUR BUILD IT HELPS PEOPLE IN THE VOTING

AND NOW, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Check them out, take you time, mull it over, and give a vote to your "TOP 3" Builds!

2019 - Yard Kart Therapy

2019 - Ultimate Yard Kart

2019 - MyloRam's Thunder

2019 - Scrap rod build

2019 - Yerf Doge

2019 - DuroPower (El Cheapo) Resurrection

2019 - Road Runner Kart

2019 - New GrandDaddy build (contd 2018)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:13 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

I'm not sure if the New GrandDaddy build is finished, it's a little unclear.
BTW - Is it allowed to vote for your own build??
Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 AM

I'd like to know if voting for our own is allowed too, and do we just type in who our votes or?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:05 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

To vote, just click/tap on the desired check boxes, then click "Vote Now".
Old 01-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanked 4,425 Times in 3,328 Posts

you can vote for your own build of course..
as JT said.. tick box checked, button pressed, done!

you can also just vote for one or two if you so desire, just no more than three.

'sid

PS Myloram Thunder appears to not have a remote kill switch
(can't see it mentioned or on anwhere near the seat/steering)
So that I'm afraid it might need to be disqualified
[EDIT]
just to be clear, the killswitch is present and all is good.. it just wasn't shown in the log

Last edited by itsid; 01-09-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 AM

Since I'm a big dork, I need some numbers/metrics to help with the voting. A few items come to mind:
  • Hours
  • Top Speed
  • Amount of fabrication (hours?)
  • Other?

I'll start in case anyone else has some interest in the same:
  • Age - 12 & 45. Sadly the 45yo did 90% of the work.
  • Cost - $50 initial, ~$500 total, $250 net with generator sale
  • Hours - lots! Guesstimating 65
  • Top Speed - 40mph+, we estimate 50-60, but it is not safe at that speed.
  • Amount of fabrication - approx 75% of the build hours - 48hrs
The Following User Says Thank You to snowjob For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-10-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:24 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Well, I'll play, and I'll put it in the build thread soon along with a video.
  • Age - 13, started when I was 12
  • Cost - $60 initially, about $160ish spent on parts and tools for an approximately $220 total
  • Hours - Probably somewhere around 150!
  • Top Speed - 38 MPH at 5400 RPM
  • Take off/acceleration - Pretty darn good for high gearing, it will sometimes spin the drive wheel, and it is a DRIFT MACHINE! Sometimes it will get sideways even when I don't expect it!
  • Fab work - Does defabbing count?? I had to undo a LOT of things that the PO messed up. Probably about 65% of the build time.
  • Rarity - VERY high since there's only 11 known Starbirds, and this one has a rarer variant of the Briggs flathead.
  • Vintage cool factor - Totally epic. I'm trying to keep original parts with the kart, and modifying with pretty vintage parts(i.e Raptor rod instead of ARC billet, vintage racing header).

Last edited by JTSpeedDemon; 01-06-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Another one LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to JTSpeedDemon For This Useful Post:
snowjob (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
[*]Rarity - VERY high since there's only 10 known Starbirds, and this one has a rarer variant of the Briggs flathead.
Look what I found on my local CL, if I still drove my forester id consider picking it up, little out of range of my 1 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
star.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to karl For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 AM

I'll play too!
Cost: roughly $60, steel for the rear axle, chain, cheap clutch, and a sprocket.
Hours: oh man, somewhere between 110-120 between parts removal and salvage, along with welding and grinding time.
Top speed: I've reached 47mph with plenty more to go, but chickened out because, well pavement HURTS!
amount of fab work: about as close to 100% as it gets, frame was built from two bed frames, two angle iron rails were welded end to end on six foot seams, for a total of 24' of a bead for the main frame alone.
Rarity: there can be only one! Never seen another identical, and probably wont, too much work!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Aka a kenbar

Ill play

Age 16
Cost: $150 for frame $100 first engine $200 tires 60 for rims second engine $10 third engine $50 fourth engine a go kart.
Hours: didnt count
Top speed: havent tested but est is 45-50mph
Old 01-06-2020, 11:17 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Take note: You only have 1 chance to vote! You can't vote for one, then come back and vote again! Once you hit the "Vote Now" button, your vote is CAST.
I voted for 2 and then realized that, otherwise I would've voted for a 3rd.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
Take note: You only have 1 chance to vote! You can't vote for one, then come back and vote again! Once you hit the "Vote Now" button, your vote is CAST.
I voted for 2 and then realized that, otherwise I would've voted for a 3rd.
As long as mine was your second vote it's all good! 😂😂😂
Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

^^
Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 PM

<edit - This is Yard Kart Therapy>

OK, so one of the big reasons I got into the build off was accountability... I wanted to have something fun to drive and wanted to make sure I could see the project through to completion. I finished, so for these reasons this experience is a personal win no matter the outcome of the voting.

Having the kart finished got my son excited to be outside in the mud. Something I have not seen him willing to do up until he started to ride in November.

Here are the nerdy details...

Builder Age 57

Cost. About $600 spent (~100 a month for the project... thats my entertainment budget)

Hours about 300 hrs...figure 3 hrs for the progress that goes into one of my posts @100 posts, or 22 weeks at 12 hrs/wk.

( So it cost about 2 dollars a pound and took an hour per pound to make)

Top Speed. 41, but have not tested with new TC driven and max RPM.

Amount of fabrication - made the round tube frame on the fly, no plans used. Touched every single part on the kart... cutting, bending, welding, scraping, brushing, sanding and painting everything except the motor, tires, seat and and steering wheel.

Other:
Unique design for my motor plate doubles as the chain adjuster by raising the motor.

Biggest bang for the buck was definitely the governor delete. Cost only $6.50 for a gasket and misc parts. Best improvement in driveability too, since the additional RPM brings the speed and power needed to drift or turn donuts with the big rear tires.

I have had a blast making a yard track and can hardly wait to have a second kart so we can do some racing right here at home.

BTW, it is not intended for top speed, but who can resist winding it out to see if the changes are working ? The speed on the yard track has almost doubled with one months worth of testing and tuning work.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gegcorp2012 For This Useful Post:
landuse (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

There, summed it up in my build thread as well, with a video! http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthr...827#post539827

Excellent job everyone, and may the best kart win!!

PS - Did anyone else notice that Robert changed his username to RobertD??
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM

PM'd the last three participants to see if they want to provide similar info. I have it all consolidated and will post once I hear back from them. I can already see we need multiple categories.......cheapest, most hours, youngest, fastest, etc. I should have known based on the data I chose to collect :-)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Yah, stats can give you a headache.

I started with a pile of scrap and made a point to try to do the build with used parts, but to make it drivable and safe, my spend went over $500, so it was good for me to go through and add it all up. The sad part is I have another $150 in spindle/hub/brake upgrades in my shopping cart...

It would be interesting to know if there are some standardized performance measurement outlines for yard and pavement karting sports, so builders/drivers can compare their build to other builds.

I see mention of drifting and donuts, burnouts, etc.... OK, so that is possible in many conditions, (check out the last 2 minutes of my testing video where I am drifting around the driveway and parking near the big tree ).

My yard track has a downhill leg with a sweeping high speed turn where I get my top yard track speeds, but the speed varies day to day with the track conditions. However, the kart is built for the yard and my yard is the safest, most convenient place for me to ride and test. (better with both hands on the wheel and my phone with GPS app in my pocket).

A nice shale type of surface or a dirt track to run eveyone side by side would be ideal and lots of fun, but that ain't happening with everyone competing in the BO all over the country or WW.

I see minibikes run 300 foot drags (pavement with slicks, etc). Theres also top speed, but there should be some distance specified as you know there are differences in sport like 1/8 vs 1/4 mile vs Bonnevile or Pikes Peak.

I am still looking for a "limited access" or vacant stretch of pavement to do measured distance or top speed testing on.

>> Think you could find a safe place to do some 300 foot top speed runs this weekend ?

The distance is not too far to measure with a 50' or 100' tape, and a GPS phone app that records the max speed should be all that is needed

As a bonus, have someone video the run so you can tell the start and finish to get close to the elapsed time.

Ideas, or other suggestions ?

(BTW, my kart is still in its "2019" build condition. I added the 7" driven and new Comet belt and welcome the opportunity to do more thrash testing)

Old 01-08-2020, 12:44 PM

How about this... a "race against the robot" to do some top speed benchmarking.

Weigh your machine and enter your other build specs in the KartCalc app.

http://app.kartcalc.net

That would give each of us a digital benchmark to compete against as a builder to deliver your personal best. (your specs are different than my specs, so we can compete against our own digital representation of our build-off entry plus @itsid is a Mod here and can advise if you have questions about the approach.

Then go out and do a top speed run (record top speed and RPM) and determine your score against your own build profile on KartCalc.

For example, I loaded my 2019 DIYGK build Yard Kart Therapy specs in the KartInfo app, and I have been 41.5 MPH (with my 6"driven, so I need to get my new top speed)

If KartInfo says my build may be capable of of going 48.7 MPH, so my score could be 86.45%. (41.5/48.7*100)

How does yours compare ?
KartInfo by kartcalc.net:
Code:

KART
Kartname : gegcorp2012 DIYGC Thunder RW diameter : 20 in Weight : 554 lbs
ENGINE
Engine type : Predator 212 HP : 6.5 Torque : 9.48 ftlb | 12.86 Nm RPM : 5500 Governor removed : true Assummed HP : 7.25 Mods : carb jet, header, air filter
TRANSMISSION
System : Torque Converter Clutch sprocket : 10 TC type : series 30 7" driven TC sprocket : 10 Axle sprocket : 60 Final Ratio : 6:1 Lowest Ratio : 18.78:1 Highest Ratio : 6.72:1
PERFORMANCE
Min Torque : 63.74 ftlb | 86.42 Nm Max Torque : 178.13 ftlb | 241.51 Nm Acceleration : 6.96 fps | 2.12 m/s Top Speed : 48.7 mph | 78.37 km/h
Old 01-08-2020, 01:36 PM

What about those of us that can't reach top speed safely? My build gets super scary in the 40-45 mph range, but it's not even hitting a high rev yet, it's actually pretty quiet at those speeds, but has more to give for sure, top speed run isn't worth the risk for me, and as I've said somewhere before, pavement HURTS!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Ahh, the balance between safety and brass. Thats part of the build off too, right (?)

I love competition and trying to squeeze the most you can out of a system.

Im open to other ideas of how we can we compare performance of my 212 powered kart at 554 lbs (edit: with driver) to your 420 powered scrap rod that weighs next to nothing...

Want to use a cable or chain and hook up some weight and do tractor pull or something ?

<Edit: I mean Scrap Rod respectfuly, as in the name of your build.

Also, the speed/comfort factor works against the model.... like I stopped at 41 MPH until I find a better place to ride within my safety comfort zone, so I am comfortable up to a speed of 86% of theoretical model for my build.>

Closed Thread