Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Default Carb on gas tank to float carb swap?

These stupid carbs mounted on gas tanks are pricey, the jets can't be removed without drilling , they leak especially the older ones with the pull chokes. Has anyone had any experience replacing them with a float bowl carb and remote gas tank setup. I mean I've done it with a Tecumseh carb and intake but it's crooked and runs a little rough even adjusted properly. Is there an intake that you can get for them or can one be made with steel pipe and a welder? Any info will be much appreciated I hve all of these briggs 5hp engines that run so great but I don't have any I the stock carbs anymore because theyre crapped out now lol
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 AM

When converting from gas tank mounted carbs to intake mounted carbs, we use Tillotson carbs and intakes. HL357 manifold for 5hp Briggs and HL357A for the carb. To keep a B&S tank mounted carb from breaking we use a carb. saver and a tank brace.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM

What about a mikuni vacuum adjusted carb from a small dirt bike engine and thanks Zanuck for the info on what to use!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM

I was thinking about taking steel pipe and welding a flange on it to bolt to the engine and using ones those carbs that hose clamp with a round price of rubber they work on the bikes and quads I mean why wouldn't it work on my Briggs
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM

Hellrazor1200, you are Welcome. Masteryota, We use B&S Raptor carb., which has no choke/breather tube provisions. Having none of these provisions adds strength to the front of the carb. the carb. saver we use attachs to the head and the front of the carb. which adds additional strength, the tank saver reduces fuel tank vibration and increase carb. life. I forgot to mention, that you can buy the Tillotson HL357A conversion kit, HL357AK for is the alky kit and HL357GK is the gas kit. These kits contains everything but the fuel tank and the throttle hook up. Don B.
Closed Thread