Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Default What is this thing????????

I just bought this racing go kart for my son to start racing with. It has the Briggs raptor racing motor in it. It has this think on the back of it that I cant figure out what it is for. here is a picture of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Kinda looks like an oil catch can
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML-TOYS View Post
Kinda looks like an oil catch can
You are right. I did a search on google for a oil catch can and found a pic of one just like this one. What does it do and what are all the ports for?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5schlueters View Post
You are right. I did a search on google for a oil catch can and found a pic of one just like this one. What does it do and what are all the ports for?
Correct oil catch can. The hose thats on it, is the catch can vent. either one of the others go to the breather on the engine, with the rested blocked off like shown.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuck View Post
Correct oil catch can. The hose thats on it, is the catch can vent. either one of the others go to the breather on the engine, with the rested blocked off like shown.
It looks like the red hose is ran to the breather on the motor it goes in right under the carb. the other 2 with hoses on them are just that cut off hoses and the one on the far right has nothing on it. there is a valve like a drain on the bottom of it. sorry for all the NOOB questions I just want everything hooked up right.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM

Okay then the red one goes to the engine breather and the open one is the vent, which should have a filter on it. Keep the other two blocked off. You use the drain after every heat/feature race and then add the appropriate amount of clean oil back in the engine.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuck View Post
Okay then the red one goes to the engine breather and the open one is the vent, which should have a filter on it. Keep the other two blocked off. You use the drain after every heat/feature race and then add the appropriate amount of clean oil back in the engine.
So it works like the pvc on a car?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5schlueters View Post
So it works like the pvc on a car?
No, its just a oil catch can, that collects oil dispersed during high rpm's of a racing engine. As the pulse jet carb designed for the Raptor racing engine has no provisions to vent the crankcase back thru the carb. thats why a catch can is used. It is also a safety feature to keep the oil that is expeled off the track surface and it keeps your kart/engine cleaner. They do make PCV kits for that engine.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM

The extra nipples are for venting the motor in more than one location. I vented mine from the valve spring cover and the side cover (PTO side) of the engine case. Depending on how the motor is mounted (angled) it will want a unique oil level. I believe B & S calls out about 15 ounces of oil to fill the motor. All of mine would push out oil, about the same volume everytime. Once I established how much was blowing out I subtracted that amount from the 15 ounce start point and I would get very little blow by in the catch tank.

Good luck and have fun with your kid.
Closed Thread