Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Snow blower engine?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm building a go kart for the first time. I'm trying to decide what engine to put in it and I thought a snow blower engine would be a good idea, but I heard that snow blower engines don't work well in go karts. Could someone please clear this up for me and if a snow blower engine is as bad as I heard it is, then what's good?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM

That all depends on what motor you're talking about. What do you have?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,638 Posts

Snowblower engines (as a general rule) are a lovely choice for go karts! I use them all the time. The only thing you'll want to keep an eye out for it the PTO (output) shaft. Occasionally, you'll come across a shaft that is quite short (can be difficult but manageable). Have you got a specific one in mind?

Welcome to the forum. Here- in case the issue of cooling has crossed your path, I\ll quote myself (to avoid re-typing)-
Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd
I have a lot- and I do mean a LOT of snowblower engines pass through my hands. There's one on my Alley Kat right now*. I ran the he// out of this engine in 100+* heat with ZERO cooling issues, as I have done in the past with other engines (many of snowblower origin).

Do you all know what makes an industrial engine a snowblower engine? Not much. Sometimes a box around the carb to help keep it from icing up, and to aid in the fact that they tend NOT to use air filters. They sometimes have a special D-shaped recoil handle to make pull-starting with gloves on easier. Sometimes a shield over the top part of the recoil to keep ice out. Often a primer bulb in addition to the choke- or other cold start enrichment device.

None of this has anything to do with the cooling system, and I openly defy anyone to prove otherwise.

Sorry. This is Canada, home of the snowblower. IF your cooling system is operating properly, it don't matter WHAT the engine came from.

*My Alley Kat is powered by an early '80's Tecumseh H60. All factory shrouding is intact, as are all cooling fins. Cold-start enriching primer has been removed. The governor is gone, I'm overgeared, and have a heavy foot... I PUNISH that thing. Oil is not-particularly-expensive SAE 10w30 per factory spec, spark plug is factory spec, and I maintain my junk.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
gaspipegokart (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtband View Post
That all depends on what motor you're talking about. What do you have?
I don't have a snowblower engine. I just wanted to know what was good before I go out and get one. The reason I ask about snowblower engines is because they're are very easy to come by in my area.
Closed Thread