Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Thoughts on a 32 roadster project

Hi,

first time poster here. First of all great forum, I have been reading up lately - many great builds and great fun to read!

My background is from mtorcycle repair and mods and I have over the years aquired waht is now a pretty decent home machine shop.

Now I want to make a kart for my kids I have this image of a scale 32 Ford roadster in my mind which just won't let go. I am concentrating on the chassis for now. It involves an I-beam front axle, which I believe I could fabricate. It would be hung in radius rods / hair pins and a small leaf spring. Steering would be cowl steering, for which I would need a small steering box.

First question: any one have an idea for a steering box? My only idea so far is on off of an old VW beetle, but even that seems overkill. Anyone?

Next up is the rear axle. It would definately be sprung and I really would love an enclosed axle. I am thinking an axle off of an ATV here. I've been searching Ebay but have come up short. There are enclosed exles out there but all I've found have wires going into the differential indicating they have some sort of function I don't need and many of them have offset differentials. Granted that could be modified but I guess I am still looking for an suitable axle. Also I have really no knowledge about ATV's meaning I don't know which are common and for which the market offers plentiful and cheap parts.

Any input on which axle I could use?

That's it for now

Hopefully I'll start a project thread in the near future

JT
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM

How about this for your steering?
http://www.bmikarts.com/item/Rack--P...nds-05635-4987

Also, about what size will this kart be?

Threw in a few pics I've been keeping....
Attached Thumbnails
R & P.jpg   102_1738.jpg  

102_1740.jpg   bucket01.jpg  

barrow kart.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks for replying

That of course is a nice (and cost effective) steering rack. It however won't work with a beam axle. I really think it would look great if a beam axle could be pulled off on a build like what I am hoping/dreaming to build
Btw really like the pics you threw in
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM

As for size I was planning to use this:

http://www.wescottsauto.com/Tech/FrameDiagram1932.pdf

It can be scaled and printed to any actual size

I'm thinking along the lines of 1.2:2 scale of the original 32 roadster. That would give a total length of about 89" and a WB of about 64".

However I would be very interested in views on what scale/size might be good to use here.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtband View Post
Also, about what size will this kart be?
After reading your post this was my first thought! A kart for kids is one thing, another toy for Daddy would be something all together different.
For a kart, keep it simple (in reference to what you're thinking anyway). That way if it breaks your kids might be interested in fixing it or at least learning how - if it's complicated, they'll have to wait for you to do it. JMHO!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,694 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I will be watching this closely. I have been hashing out similar plans for a year or so. I think I will be producing a somewhat smaller end result, but a similar concept, nonetheless.

One difficulty I have had is with the front, transverse leaf spring. It's a bit tough to find a leaf that is soft enough to actually do anything on a go kart. I have thus concluded that I have two basic choices. The first would be a small utility trailer spring. You could disassemble the spring pack and leave only the main leaf, or leave the pack intact, but either way it will be for looks only. Too stiff for the job. Option 2 is nicer, but harder to come by. Vintage snowmobiles used to use a leaf on each front ski. If you could find one, I think that's as good as it gets in terms of spring rate.

As for the ATV axle thing- The differential is most likely to be off-centre. If you're using a conventional drive shaft with universal joints, then it's not a problem except for the aesthetics. Then again, an ATV rearend doesn't look like a vintage auto rearend, anyway. Do not be concerned with the wires. Whatever is in there is going to be non-critical, such as a speed sensor.

Steering- Engineered carefully, you can do it all with bellcranks- no box required.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
...One difficulty I have had is with the front, transverse leaf spring. It's a bit tough to find a leaf that is soft enough to actually do anything on a go kart. I have thus concluded that I have two basic choices. The first would be a small utility trailer spring. You could disassemble the spring pack and leave only the main leaf, or leave the pack intact, but either way it will be for looks only. Too stiff for the job. Option 2 is nicer, but harder to come by. Vintage snowmobiles used to use a leaf on each front ski. If you could find one, I think that's as good as it gets in terms of spring rate....
Golf carts have a single leaf going across the front between the two wheels. This was brought up before in a thread as well, but I cannot remember it ATM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman000 View Post
Golf carts have a single leaf going across the front between the two wheels. This was brought up before in a thread as well, but I cannot remember it ATM.
Yeah I had been thinking along the lines of a golf cart spring as well. If the spring is too stiff still it could be machined or cut to narrow it along it's length to soften it.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladinbama View Post
After reading your post this was my first thought! A kart for kids is one thing, another toy for Daddy would be something all together different.
For a kart, keep it simple (in reference to what you're thinking anyway). That way if it breaks your kids might be interested in fixing it or at least learning how - if it's complicated, they'll have to wait for you to do it. JMHO!
Good points. It will be a daddy project in the near future as the kids are way to young to be driving a kart anytime soon. I had been thinking this would be a fun project for myself to build the next couple years and then for them to drive when it is finished. Any repairs if they wanne come along that would be great
Closed Thread