Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Default Manco Project/Revival

Hello all, new guy here and thought it was time to get a project thread going on this Manco 2 seater that I picked up in exchange for 2 used tires sitting around my garage. There has been a few goofy things done to the drive wheel and I will need to be investing in some new wheels/tires for this thing. I am also in need of a carb for the 6hp engine. It's branded as Craftsman but I think it's a Tecumseh? I'm not going to go crazy on this Kart and I'm not concerned about keeping things "original" as that's already WAY too late! I just want to get this running and driving good and safe for my two kids to have some fun on.

Never worked on small engines before but I know I can get this kart going good with a little help and guidance. Here's a few pics of the machine and the drive wheel that someone fabricated a "spacer" to fit it. That needs to go first! Not sure how to pursue new wheels that'll fit and function so any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Also, anyone that has a carb that'll work for this that might want to part with, lemme know! I'm just getting started and need to tear it down to clean it up. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1892.jpg   DSCN1897.jpg   DSCN1901.jpg  

DSCN1908.jpg   DSCN1905.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Pick up a new harbor freight predator 212cc motor for $100 and slap it on there. They are an awesome bang for the buck.

I'd ditch the centrifugal clutch and pick up a TAV2 torque converter. Much more torque and a little more speed with those, and they won't burn up like a centrifugal clutch will.

Is the kart single wheel drive, do both rear wheels turn when you turn the sprocket?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM

That's almost definitely a dead axle kart. I wouldn't necessarily suggest a torque converter (TC) for a stub axle kart.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM

i was gonna suggest slap a live axle on it. piece of cake.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM

The kart is single wheel. All of those suggestions sound good to me but I really don't know much about that stuff, much= nothing. If I can get a new motor for $100 then I would definitely do that instead of searching for a carb. I got a couple of links to kart parts websites but don't know what would fit? I can't imagine anything on this kart is hard to tear down/replace so if I can get an axle and TC without spending tons of money I'd be game for that! Appreciate the suggestions, I'll check out Harbor Freight tonight!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM

sign up for harbor freight coupons at the store (might be able to do it online, dunno). it's worth it!

live axle is easy. figure out the length of axle you need, 1" thickness solid axle will be what you want. go to bmikarts.com and order 3 1" bearings, 3 bearing flanges, and 3 bearing hangers. bmi will make you custom axles for a reasonable price. i made my own from 1" rod from the scrap yard and notched out my own 1/4" keyway with a grinder to accomodate the sprocket and brake rotor. you can get sprockets (60 tooth, #41) and brake rotors (8"-10") on ebay for $20 each that already have a 1" bore hub.

figure out if your rear wheel hub's bores are 1" or not. some are 3/4", some are 1" to 3/4" step-down. if using a solid axle with no threads, then you'll want to figure out an appropriate way of keeping the tires in place that can handle the stress of the motor and riding. i used rear hubs from a quad, drilled 5/16" holes in them and the axle for a 5/16" cotter pin bolt (grade 5 hardness or better). works like a charm.

if your wheels have an odd bore hub, you'll want to replace the hubs/rims with something that can accept a 1" axle.

a TAV2 torque converter will run you about $140. get one that has a #41 10t sprocket, and a 3/4" bore driver. most motors under 8hp have a 3/4" shaft, with a 1/4" keyway.

you'll also want to order some 1" locking collars from BMIkarts to help keep wheels, hubs, sprockets, etc. from sliding around on the axle. 6 of them would be a safe number.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM

id use that motor. its a tecumseh H60. very well built motor, and i usually dont say that about most tecumsehs. the H60 were tanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,652 Posts

His current wheels are irrelevant if he's converting from dead to live axle as the current wheels would have bearings.

2013 Build-off Winner http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21076
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Sincerest thanks and appreciation everyone! This is beautiful, sounds like I can have this kart slingin' gravel in no time. Now I'm undecided however on the engine. I was literally almost ready to hit submit on the engine from Harbor Freight and saw Bluethunder's post about the Tecumseh. Any ideas where I can find a carb for this thing? $127 (with shipping) is nothing for a new engine and I like the thought of the ease of installation + the newness. If I can get my hands on a carb for this engine cheap, might as well try that route first. I'm a bit on the fence about the live axle and TC only because I have no idea what I'm doing with that. If you guys would be willing to provide some insight and guidance regarding installation, I guess I'd be game for the conversion. I definitely will need new wheels/tires. I know my kids would like new shiny aluminum or chrome? wheels and in all honesty, I'm kind of diggin' that as well. I really appreciate the specifics mysteryboy, that's what I need to do first, get a SPECIFIC list of needs together and start chipping away at it. My daughters birthday is coming up on August 6th, I'd love to be able to let her go for a spin on that day. If I can get the parts here, should be an achievable goal right?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t002530 View Post
My daughters birthday is coming up on August 6th, I'd love to be able to let her go for a spin on that day. If I can get the parts here, should be an achievable goal right?
That depends on how fast you work

Two questions:
1. Do you have a welder?
2. What is your skill level?
Acceptable answers are 1. yes & 2. medium or high

But seroiusly, depending on your budget, this is totally do-able.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Should be in the shop...

I may have a carb that could possibly be used.
Could you please get some pictures of where the carb mounts to, as well as the distance between the two carb mounting studs.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabroman View Post
That depends on how fast you work

Two questions:
1. Do you have a welder?
2. What is your skill level?
Acceptable answers are 1. yes & 2. medium or high

But seroiusly, depending on your budget, this is totally do-able.
1. Yes
2. Medium or High - in many areas, just not sure if kart building is one of them! :biggrin5:

Always seems to come down to money eh? As I suspected, that's very similar to working on old Camaro's also! Guess the question is: Do I wanna go fast or the kids? The parts don't seem too outrageous, I just need to get some more specifics together on what I'll need.

Here's a few more pics of the carb location, I'll measure the distance on the carb today and let you know, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1901.jpg   DSCN1906.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 AM

If youve got a welder and youre crafty - thats all you need. Id never touched a welder or owned a go-kart before august of last year. Since then have built 3 karts (each with increasing complexity and style), and have owned a total of like 7 karts and 3 mini-bikes. Ive worked on all of them, with no former training. Just used this site, google, and youtube. Got a few pointers from minibuggy.net too.

Meanwhile, if you plan to ride the kart too, youll want that torque converter. My oldest daughter is as big as a 12 year old boy, so i know a centrifugal clutch would wear out quickly and not be anywhere near as fun as a TC.

Live axle drops in easy. Just cut out the old one, leaving the frame intact. Slide the axle through the bearings that you have mounted in the bearing flanges that you have mounted in the bearing hangers. Drop the whole kit n kaboodle onto the go-kart where you want them (center bearing being as close to the sprocket as you can get it for support so that the axle doesnt flex when you hit the gas). Then weld the bearing hangers in place. Done.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
1. Yes
2. Medium or High - in many areas, just not sure if kart building is one of them! :biggrin5:
Good to hear Just think of it as a small, uncomplicated car

Quote:
Always seems to come down to money eh? As I suspected, that's very similar to working on old Camaro's also!
See comment above

Quote:
Guess the question is: Do I wanna go fast or the kids? The parts don't seem too outrageous, I just need to get some more specifics together on what I'll need.
Most of the parts you need are reasonably priced, but they add up pretty quick. Go back over mysteryboy's post, he's pretty much got it

Old 07-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Looking at bmikarts and not sure if I should get 2 hole or 3 hole bearing flanges? I see they have a kit that I can save a couple bucks on but only 2 in a kit, why would I need 3? Just curious.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM

I wondered that myself; perhaps mysteryboy is hinting towards a centre support to reduce axle flex. Also consider pillow block bearings; the advantage to these is that the axle will sit closer to the original axle height than a flange will

Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Yep, you're right. I see above where he mentions having center bearing as close to the sprocket as possible to reduce flex. Not knowing anything about these parts at this point, I wasn't sure about the 2 or 3 hole flanges. Think I'll buy one of the kits and then one more each. I'm going to try and watch some youtube videos on this procedure (hopefully there's some out there) so I can get a better understanding of how this all goes together. Right now I'm pretty confused about the axle setup. After I get that figured out, I'll tackle the TC setup. Anybody have any pictures that could be shared showing what this procedure kinda looks like? That would be superb! I'd like to get a lot of these parts ordered by tomorrow so they can be here before next weekend.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM

There's heaps of axle conversion threads here, just search for "live axle conversion" & you'll find lots of pics & detailed instructions

Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Should be in the shop...

Could you get a centre distance between the screw head and the stud on the other side? The carb I have may bolt straight up on those two points.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Way to go chez

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabroman For This Useful Post:
r_chez_08 (07-15-2012)
Closed Thread