Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Default Go Kart... TRACK?

I don't know where to post this so I think this sub forum is the most fitting.

My wife wants me to have my brother in law put in a small go kart track. I don't know much about it was I was thinking just a simple dirt oval would work well enough. I have probably 200-250 x 99 feet to work with specifically for a track so I don't think I can get too fancy. I hate to dig up my lawn but considering my wife is more gung ho about a track than I am makes me think I should probably get on board the fun train with her.

I don't really know how I should go about making it, if I should have sand or gravel brought in or just take off the grass and run on the top soil beneath. I also don't know about how wide it should be or anything other aspects of race track design.

Any suggestions or input I should consider?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,684 Posts

I've always dreamed of doing that! I'm jealous- and yes- if the wife's on board, run with it!!!

Part of what you do with it depends on what you envision. Me? I'd have some dips and maybe a very mild tabletop. Perhaps a straightaway up the one side, and a bit of a jog down the other. I'd leave the corners flat, maybe even one off-camber (banked in the wrong direction) for some serious sideways stuff.

As for the surface, the dirt decision may hinge on what you find under the grass. Decent soil? Sand? Clay? Who knows?

How many karts will be running simultaneously? You need enough width to safely pass.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Right now I only have two karts. I think it should be good top soil underneath. Previous owners used to or has tilled most of it and had quite the garden going on years ago.

Basically this is the area as viewed from last summer. It seems a lot bigger on the ground to be honest haha. The property is 99 feet wide and it should be able to have a 250ft straight away. I wish I had more land but I don't so I have to make do. My neighbors have yet to complain about snowmobiles or go karts or any of the other obnoxious things I am sure I do without trying.

The straight will always be on side with the dirt drive way because that is flat and straight. There is some (5ft maybe) elevation change on the "north" side just below where the blue lines come to a corner. The ideas so far have been an oval with two straights, a triangle shaped course with a wide fast corner on the "garage" side with a tight hair pin on the "river" side, or an oval with the river side inverted to make it go from a straight to a hard left to a sweeping right to a hard left into the straight (it would sorta like a rounded version of the letter M with a U under it) but really the sky is the limit. The backyard is not visible except to my neighbors and myself, mowing it sucks, and life is too short to be a prude!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 AM

Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,630 Posts

With that much space, & the go-ahead from the wife, I would do something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled3.jpg  

2013 Build-off Winner http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21076
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM

I like that, thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM

You are going to have serious dust issues.... hope your neighbors don't mind having their siding/pool/cookout covered in dust.

Otherwise the best way is to drag a piece of chain link or a tractor rake to get the grass up. You'll want to get a larger tank sprayer or some type of even watering device so you can water the track before you race and then use the chain link or the rake to level it off every time.

I would just do an oval myself. If you have success you can start to grade the inside deeper over and over to build a slight banking and put some hay bales or tires on the outside edge to keep the dirt/dust down and the karts from flying out.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Why not just mark the course and leave some of it grass? That way you can change the course once in a while.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

My neighbors don't have anything for me to bother. No pools or anything like that. One is only around for 5-6 months a year tops and the other is far enough away that he is hardly even line of sight.

I did some up with this though and I think it offers some good qualities. I figure make the track widths 15 feet except the straight will be 20 feet and it should be narrow enough to allow a good amount of bumper room between property lines.

I don't know if I want to rip up the lawn but it is very rough from being tilled and gardened previously so riding a track into it isn't much of an option. I will talk to my brother in law who is doing the work and see what he has for input on it. I can always import sand/dirt/gravel from another brother in laws family concrete business if the need arises.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Kart Krazy!!

I actually did this in my yard over the winter, and i wouldnt worry too much about the layout at first. I have an area 200ft x 270ft in my backyard, and started with a simple oval track. Since then i have added to the center with s curves and stuff. As long as you leave it fairly flat it doesnt take much time to modify it in the future.

I have a few pictures after drifting the oval track in the mud, i will try to post them here. I was so covered in mud but it was worth it. LOTS OF FUN!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM

I just took my karts out and did some laps where the theoretical track would be. I think with loose dirt it will go better because the karts don't like tight turns too much.

I am going to take about 6 inches off the top of the lawn in about 15 foot swaths which should allow plenty of room for racing. If not then it isn't hard to modify stuff. I need to figure out how to make one kart faster because it is quite obviously slower, however it turns much better. The faster cart can turn well but thats when both tires are breaking loose and the rear end is coming around haha.

Anyways, work begins tomorrow, I will keep you guys posted!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Thanked 2,725 Times in 2,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifkin View Post
I just took my karts out and did some laps where the theoretical track would be. I think with loose dirt it will go better because the karts don't like tight turns too much.

I am going to take about 6 inches off the top of the lawn in about 15 foot swaths which should allow plenty of room for racing. If not then it isn't hard to modify stuff. I need to figure out how to make one kart faster because it is quite obviously slower, however it turns much better. The faster cart can turn well but thats when both tires are breaking loose and the rear end is coming around haha.

Anyways, work begins tomorrow, I will keep you guys posted!
Give us the stats on the slower kart, and we can help you out. Things like tyre size, engine, sprocket tooth and axle tooth count. It could just be that you need to gear it differently
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Stock specs are, I think, 9t to 60t and it has a series 30 comet on it. It has 16 tires on it and in 5-7 days will have a 6.5hp predator. The new motor might liven things up a bit, only time will tell. It is a Manco Phoenix Eagle II LXT according so a sticker on it. I think that equates to a 486 series model. It is pretty hard looking up these kinds of things, or has been for me. Manco only has had a million different models.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM

You could maybe get a 55T sprocket, and smaller tyres. That should give you a little more speed. A better engine won't make any difference in speed. You will just get to the top speed faster. What will give you more speed is gearing
Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Top speed isn't really an issue, as it clocked 22.7 in the same distance the other kart did 26.4 and that was in a distance longer than the main straight of the track. Getting there faster/more power/being the same and the other kart is kind of what I am going for. I think once the engines and power are equal and I can compare and contrast then I will get into the world of gears. I was also thinking about the nr racing "hop up" kits, specifically stage 1 to get some more rpms, but that isn't anything that will happen soon. First I need to build the track and see how the karts go. The Manco handles so much better than my other one that I think with similar power it will dominate. The other kart has wide back tires which I think contributes heavily to the under steer and maybe undersized fronts. Backs are 18/950X8 fronts are 14.5/7x6.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Custom builder

This sound like a fun track keep posting!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
A better engine won't make any difference in speed.
...it will if the old engine was a clapped out bag of s#!t...

Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Top speed isn't really an issue, as it clocked 22.7 in the same distance the other kart did 26.4 and that was in a distance longer than the main straight of the track. Getting there faster/more power/being the same and the other kart is kind of what I am going for. I think once the engines and power are equal and I can compare and contrast then I will get into the world of gears. I was also thinking about the nr racing "hop up" kits, specifically stage 1 to get some more rpms, but that isn't anything that will happen soon. First I need to build the track and see how the karts go. The Manco handles so much better than my other one that I think with similar power it will dominate. The other kart has wide back tires which I think contributes heavily to the under steer and maybe undersized fronts. Backs are 18/950X8 fronts are 14.5/7x6.
That seems like a reasonable combination.

You also have to look at power:weight ratio. Is the second kart bigger/heavier than the other? If so you'll need a more powerful engine to keep up with it

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 AM

Tuesday we started the track but didn't get far due to rain and time. Maybe Friday we will pick up again but we will Saturday and Sunday without a doubt. I didn't really expect to have so much excess dirt from this so storage/dumping will get complicated soon but I will worry about that later.

Once the track is dug out I am going to probably get a few loads of crusher dust and run the karts on that. It will make everything smooth and should be easy to maintain, albeit a little dusty.

I got new front tires for one of the karts. Now I just need to have them mounted haha. New engine gets here next Wednesday and will have the same type of straight pipe exhaust as the other kart. I do need to order a new belt though. I figured out how everything adjusts with the weirdo jack shaft engine plate set up and it doesn't adjust the belt tension, just the chain tension. So my chain is tight but the belt is loose as all get out. I don't know if the belt is stretched or if so how stretched. I guess buying a new one is the only way to tell.

Anyways, just an update so you know I am serious business
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Yup, it looks like you mean business. You are going to have a killer time on the track when it is done
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I didn't really expect to have so much excess dirt from this so storage/dumping will get complicated soon but I will worry about that later.
You could use it to build up the sides of the track or, now just throwing this out there, don't dig it out so deep.

Closed Thread