Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Front Suspension

Hey guys, I'm new here and also to karting. I plan on making a go-kart/dune buggy, I will probably make my own plans since I don't like any I can find online. Could anyone give me any front suspension ideas? Also, a parts list with a direct link to them would be GREATLY appreciated. (Full list please.)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Here's my old kart's suspension thread. The front suspension detail pictures are at the near the bottom of the page.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthr...t=10435&page=3
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,638 Posts

Here's an alternate idea for the front- trailing arms. http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10585
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 PM

I got an fl250 honda odyssey j-arm kit I can sale you. From wheels/spindles/hubs to steering wheel $75.

No tie rods though for I am out. They are cheap on ebay though.

You would beed to find a main front bar that fits the J-arms. Weld that bar to your frame and slide the j-arms on. DONE

Not much travel but over built. Parts are cheap and easy to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07212.jpg   DSC07216.jpg   DSC07461.jpg  

DSC07686.jpg   DSC07563.jpg   DSC07817.jpg  

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM

those j arm type front ends can be found on some older quads also. i think the easiest way would to find a "parts" quad to scavenge parts from!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM

i am perfectly capable of making my own, thanks for the offer though. also, i think i have decided that instead of making a kart from scratch, i am going to get a 12hp craftsman riding mower on craigslist for $100, gut it, and use the wheels, axle, tranny, motor, and steering and such... any ideas for suspensions on those front steering set-ups? and also, rear suspension possible with a vertical belt drive?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

If I'm not mistaken, lawn mower steering is sketchy for go kart use. Also, applying it to a suspension could potentially make it worse. You are not going to fair very well with a rear suspension either using that drivetrain.

I would suggest sticking with no suspension if you plan to use those parts. If you want suspension, you will have to do it right (buy the right parts). My 2 cents
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Could you please explain how mower steering is sketchy for kart use? And honestly, i'm just using these parts mainly for the 12hp B&S engine and transmission+rear axle. On top of that i get other pieces of metal and I get the tires too. All of that for $100 is a steal. I would like to keep this build around $300 so maybe I could build a completely new front suspension and steering? Also, DCProductions, I liked your kart design very much and may be stealing some ideas from you. One question though, when you have the motor and axle part attached to the frame by just the one joint, is it sturdy enough? Do you worry about stressing it too hard and breaking it? Also, is the panhard bar absolutely necessary?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyliusilver View Post
i am perfectly capable of making my own, thanks for the offer though. also, i think i have decided that instead of making a kart from scratch, i am going to get a 12hp craftsman riding mower on craigslist for $100, gut it, and use the wheels, axle, tranny, motor, and steering and such... any ideas for suspensions on those front steering set-ups? and also, rear suspension possible with a vertical belt drive?
Okay
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Okay
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Could you please explain how mower steering is sketchy for kart use? And honestly, i'm just using these parts mainly for the 12hp B&S engine and transmission+rear axle. On top of that i get other pieces of metal and I get the tires too. All of that for $100 is a steal. I would like to keep this build around $300 so maybe I could build a completely new front suspension and steering? Also, DCProductions, I liked your kart design very much and may be stealing some ideas from you. One question though, when you have the motor and axle part attached to the frame by just the one joint, is it sturdy enough? Do you worry about stressing it too hard and breaking it? Also, is the panhard bar absolutely necessary?
All parts found on a mower are engineered for speeds of around 7-10MPH. That means if used for kart purposed (faster speeds) they don't last too long. This goeas especially for wheels which generally don't use bearing but bushes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 PM

i am planning on getting ATV wheels from a 2001 Honda Rancher... that should help alot, and i have seen people on youtube go way faster then that... they say that theirs have lasted so i guess i will take my chances since i am saving so much on it, i can even reinforce things if need be, btw, any suggestions on how to put atv wheels on a lawn mower axle? and what do u guys prefer, live axle? or rear axle with differential?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
and i have seen people on youtube go way faster then that... they say that theirs have lasted
Don't be too quick to believe every idiot that posts a video. Why? 'Cause any idiot can post a video. That's the great thing about the internet- 50% of it is B.S.. You get to decide which is which.
MANY mower transmissions and transaxles are simply not up to the task of handling big torque, and/or high speed. If you do some research (not just Youtube vids), you will find out specific makes and models of mower gearboxes that WITH APPROPRIATE MODIFICATION, will stand up to the task. The Tecumseh-Peerless 700 is one such model.

Quote:
any suggestions on how to put atv wheels on a lawn mower axle? and what do u guys prefer, live axle? or rear axle with differential?
You will need to measure the diameter of the axleshaft and the bolt pattern of the wheel. Then, either source hubs for the purpose, or fabricate them. Failing that, you can have a machine shop fabricate them for you. Be prepared to dust off your wallet for custom machining.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM

I think people with banshee's hate there j arms for riding, so they might be quick to sell them for an a arm upgrade. Try looking in that direction for front suspension. There is a guy in Michigan that is selling a suzuki 230 minus wheels and a few other small things for $200.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM

My offer for $75 still stands. You get everything you need but tires and tie rods to make a front roller.

wheels
hubs
spindles
j-arm
steering colum
steering shaft with pitman arm
steering wheel with controls
shocks

after you price all the other places let me know if you can find a better deal.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 PM

what would you sell everything but the j-arm for? also do you have any idea what the shipping costs would be to CO?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM

what a deal bighead is throwing your way!!! take it!!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Estimated shipping to PA?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM

I feel like a double A-Arm suspension may be better, i have atv wheels and access to one of the most well equiped workshops i have seen.cusom making things shouldn't be too hard for me. $50 for 2 hydraulic suspensions rated at 730lb, already have tires, and can get metal for free/dirt cheap so really won't cost me that much more to make my own.
Closed Thread