Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Yerf dog 3202 VS hammerhead 150

The family and I took the yerf dog 3202 with a 6.5 hp tech motor out this weekend. This motor would not pull up one long and steep hill. I want my kids to be able to go wherever they would like on the trails. So here are my questions. I can buy (2) hammerhead II 150cc karts for $1500 that will have everything I want on the kart. I would have to put about $200 into the hammerheads, for batterys and such. Or I can upgrade the 3202 with an emergency break, new shocks, rack and pinion steering and a 9-11 hp briggs for around $500. I still would be lacking a reverse gear that I would like though. My issue is the Hammerhead is made in China and the yerf and briggs would be made here in the good ol' USA. I also am just guessing that I could by the steering from another cart and "graft" it onto my kart.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM

I really don't like the look of the hammerheads. They look like kids toys and look very fragile. They look cheap and they are made in China so they must be. I like the strong look of the yerfs and I think they are really well built. IMO you should upgrade your yerf instead of buying that Chinese crap.

Oh and welcome!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Kart Aficionado

If and when you upgrade that yerf-dog consider beefing up the back deck to handle the torque, they've got issues with twisting from the factory. Also, torque converters generally won't handle steep hills, powering out of ditches, powering through deep mud, etc without hurting the belt.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Tecumseh FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowiez View Post
If and when you upgrade that yerf-dog consider beefing up the back deck to handle the torque, they've got issues with twisting from the factory. Also, torque converters generally won't handle steep hills, powering out of ditches, powering through deep mud, etc without hurting the belt.

oh really? mine has done all of that just fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Ya isn't that what tc are for in the first place?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM

My thoughts on the China stuff exactly. I have access to steel that they scrap out at work. I will look into how i can strengthen the back deck. Does it twist out of square or out of vertical? Also what type of system would be better for me than the comet 30 series it has on it if a TC is not good for loads? I am looking at a rack and pinion from a yerf spiderbox. Do any of you know if this has been done before. It is 34" joint to joint, I need about 32". It May adjust down or I may need to change out the linkage tubes. Or should I get an entire spiderbox front end to graft onto the front. Anyone know how much the spindles would cost me?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Kart Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by B man View Post
oh really? mine has done all of that just fine.
I'll just say that you have a separate model with a technically worse rear end then the one we're mentioning. The 2 braces were not the best design and actually ends up having the motor mount plate bend down excessively with use.

Yerf-Dogs are typically decent karts but without help they all have issues eventually.

You may think you have issues with your kart but if you ended up buying the Chinese karts the issues would NEVER end.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Good for 100,000 Miles

DON'T buy the Hammerhead. I have their cheapest one and I can say it is almost a complete engineering disaster. Poorly designed. Yerf dog all the way.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1701 View Post
DON'T buy the Hammerhead. I have their cheapest one and I can say it is almost a complete engineering disaster. Poorly designed. Yerf dog all the way.