Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Default Briggs 3HP Engine Questions

Hi guys. I just picked up a homemade kart with a 3hp Briggs on it. It seems to run kinda slow-ish and I think by removing the governor, I might be able to get the speed up a bit. What RPM's should I start to worry about grenading the engine around? Any other ways to up the power a bit? I'll post specs on the engine below.

No idea on gear ratios, but I might buy a lower gear set soon since I think the clutch is getting worn out. I want to drive it off-road (just in the dirt around my home) but if I stop in the dirt, it BARELY has enough power to get moving again.

I weigh about 230 and the kart weighs about 70-80, I think. Maybe 3HP is a little to low for me and the kart?

Briggs 3HP
Model Number 80212
Centrifugal Clutch
Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Unfinished projects king.

You don't have to worry about blowing the engine up with the governor removed, the valves will float before it blows up.

Sounds like a good idea to gear it lower, how many teeth are there on both sprockets and what is your rear tyre diameter? Also, what top speed are you aiming for?

3HP probably is a bit low, when geared low enough it should go well though.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 AM

Ok well, good to know it won't blow. What happens when valves float? And how do I remove the governor?

I'll post tommorow with the teeth count on both gears (clutch gear and axle gear/sprocket) & as for the speed, maybe 30-40 on the road and around 30 top in the dirt. We have a small dirt track out back. Was a couple gardens that died off. So we made a track.

And I was thinking 3 maybe too low. I wanna go up to a 5 or 6, but the cost of motors are high right now for my wallet. Unless there are some clone engines or something for under $150....

EDIT: I forgot to ask, can I get some kind of aftermarket exhaust, air intake & carb for this engine?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 AM

hey i have that exact engine, same modle number and everything, i took off the govener and it runs great, but at times i do get scared sometimes, it backfires and makes a very loud sound, and it overheats alot, but im in the same boat as u, i need a larger engine and a higher gear ratio, right now my gearing is around 16:1, but it has very high rpm soo it still books, all i did was take off the govener and but new jet screws and some gaskets, and a new plug, but yea, tomarrow ill go outside and look and tell u how i got my govener off
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Unfinished projects king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcperry18 View Post
Ok well, good to know it won't blow. What happens when valves float? And how do I remove the governor?

I'll post tommorow with the teeth count on both gears (clutch gear and axle gear/sprocket) & as for the speed, maybe 30-40 on the road and around 30 top in the dirt. We have a small dirt track out back. Was a couple gardens that died off. So we made a track.

And I was thinking 3 maybe too low. I wanna go up to a 5 or 6, but the cost of motors are high right now for my wallet. Unless there are some clone engines or something for under $150....

EDIT: I forgot to ask, can I get some kind of aftermarket exhaust, air intake & carb for this engine?
When the valves float your engine wont rev any higher, simple as that. The governor is probably just a simple wind vane type, if it is it's just as simple as removing the linkage.

If you mean MPH then you'l need a lot more horse power, that's asking to much of a little engine like that, especially when only equipped with a centrifugal clutch. If you mean km/h then that's pretty reasonable.

What country are you in? If you're in America then you should be able to pick up a 6.5hp clone from Harbor Freight for under that, if you're else where you'l need to look at second hand engines. Also consider that you'l probably need to buy a new clutch too, your 3HP probably has a 5/8" shaft where as others will most likely have a 3/4" shaft.

You can quite easily make high performance parts for it, they aren't really worth spending the money on IMO. For example, the exhaust uses a standard pipe fitting thread so making a strait pipe is as easy as going down to a hardware store and getting some pipe fittings. Some use a flange exhaust but I'd say yours is threaded, most are. If you have a look through this thread then that should give you some ideas for higher performance, most of the stuff in there applies to your engine too.

Thanks

Hayden
Closed Thread