Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Default I need help identifying this Yerf Dog

I cleaned up one and now I have the second one to tackle today. I have a couple parts to pick up but do not know the model number, do you? Thanks for the help guys. Sorry the photo is dark.

Doug

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

The model is 3020. its a recalled model do to steering issues. good luck. myself and a member called bighead also have these karts. he may know a little more than me about them.

but if you have any questions ask. i know good amount about them.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Perfect thanks I'll try and find a diagram online. I picked them both up for $400 bucks 2 nights ago. They both looked abused and didn't run but I like a challenge. I fixed one. Do you know the correct torque belt. The belts on there now have been replaced but they jerk you hard when starting out so I'm thinking they replaced it with the wrong belt.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

if they have stock Max-torque converters then they will use belt MXT-98. there are no diagrams.as if this kart was completely removed from records. one looks pretty good.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Can you believe that the one looked just like the other (minus the broken weld)! Thanks - I've ordered the belt.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM

The torque converters may also be dirty inside and that's why they jerk so violently. Fortunately, these things are very simple to clean and maintain.
The Following User Says Thank You to redsox985 For This Useful Post:
quinnstr (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Good point - I'll reinspect. Thanks Sox
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 AM

Here is the one I have and fixed up for my handicap nephew. His clutch was also dirty and jerking. A good cleaning and it is much better.

Be carfull wih these karts on pavement. The front wheels can fold into the frame. Bump steer is crazy as well. We are waiting on a fix from another member. He has done the mods to correct the problem. This one of yerfdogs first karts they made.

Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2104.jpg   CIMG2105.jpg   CIMG2106.jpg  

CIMG2107.jpg   CIMG2109.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Here is the one I have and fixed up for my handicap nephew. His clutch was also dirty and jerking. A good cleaning and it is much better.

Be carfull wih these karts on pavement. The front wheels can fold into the frame. Bump steer is crazy as well. We are waiting on a fix from another member. He has done the mods to correct the problem. This one of yerfdogs first karts they made.

its like the second ever made.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank for the reply. I had to pause this video several times just to look at all your mods (I wish I was a welder) great work - above and beyond. These carts are for my son, 8 and my daughter, 10. I'm hoping to only have them ride in open fields! Your right on with the bump steer - crazy. While riding one down the road the other day I kept wondering how I could better that (please keep me informed about the mod). I wish I had that clutch cover (x2). You're a wealth of information Bighead - Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnstr View Post
Thank for the reply. I had to pause this video several times just to look at all your mods (I wish I was a welder) great work - above and beyond. These carts are for my son, 8 and my daughter, 10. I'm hoping to only have them ride in open fields! Your right on with the bump steer - crazy. While riding one down the road the other day I kept wondering how I could better that (please keep me informed about the mod). I wish I had that clutch cover (x2). You're a wealth of information Bighead - Thanks.
I just made thread calling out Blaze. He should chime in soon. I am ready to do this mod. With his help I can get started on it. I will make vids so you guys can copy.

It has to do with making the steering arm longer. If you look at the kart. You will notice that the steering arm and pitman arm are the same lenth. You will also notice how short and small the steering arm is. Thats the problem. The mods has you extending the steering arm out and back about 3" or so. This way the tie rods are not straight like they are now. With the steering arm so short the tires can fold with no force to hold it back. The travel is to short. Basicaly you are adding leverage from the steering arms to the wheel. This giving you more control of the wheels. With the steering arm inside the wheel. You have no control really. With the arm extended out like normal karts. You probably have 3 or 4 times the leverage control at the wheel. Bump steer will be less for things are not going on as fast and you have more leverage now. (just guessing on my numbers)

Yerfdog did make a kit to fix this problem. Thats why I always ask to see the spindles when these come up here. I am hoping to get some good pics of the mod. You said you do not weld. if you like my work you can send me your spindles and I will hook you up for your kids sake. Although the kart would be fine for small kids and slow speeds. That being said Blaz has told me about these karts folding and flipping over at speeds. So basicaly avoid any bumps and higher speeds. I think at hi speeds and a good road bump is when the folding take place.

I must say I am not a steering guy. This is just how I understand it from Blaze. I will know more soon.

I will get on this mod as soon as I hear from Blaze.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM

That's awesome Bighead. Thank you for posting to Blaze and offering to help with my mod. The information you supplied regarding safety will be followed. It's all about having fun and being safe. Talk with you soon.

Doug