Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Default trailing arm suspension

Hey guys, just curious about a rear suspension set up kinda like this.
1. Would a setup like this work, meaning, would the arm be able to move up/down (please take note that the shock is turned 90 to the direction it would be in reality).
2. How would you drive the wheels? What are my options?
3. Is it a logical set up?

The kart I would put would something like the one in the picture. What I'm really aiming for is something that is similar (slightly larger) then a fl250, with a bigger engine and a more advanced suspension setup. Oh, and this project would come much later. I need to work out some minor kinks... such as plans that have little to no accuracy .

Thanks
Ethan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suspension 1.pdf (98.1 KB, 314 views)
File Type: pdf suspension 2.pdf (79.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: pdf suspension 3.pdf (104.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: pdf mini buggy.pdf (75.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

maybe. with te right axle.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 AM

I think that is a great set up as it offers good articulation, I have been planing something like that for my next build
Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 AM

It is kind of whats on my Ody racer.

Also go to this link and scroll down to photo A-5. Basically identical to what your doing. May give you some ideas.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/challengercat1.htm

Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0330.jpg   CIMG0333.jpg   CIMG0334.jpg  

CIMG0337.jpg   CIMG0351.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B man View Post
maybe. with te right axle.
Can you give me an example of an axle that could work?

Bighead:
Thanks man. I have followed your fl250 sled conversion thread and it kinda inspired me to build something with a 400cc to a 600cc engine (aiming for a 500cc). Thanks for the link, I think it will come in handy.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Tecumseh FTW!

i dont know the correct name. i bet bighead dose though.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Hey Bighead, any input.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:59 AM

I have no input for I did not make the axle set up in my yellow buggy. Others here will now what you need though as far as what axle.

In the link I posted was the pics of my axle in pic A-5. That is almost the same axle setup I am using. A tractor store should have all you need as far as splined axles I would guess.

minibuggy.net would have lots of pics info and ideas for you.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 AM
NZ Nutta :|

The kind of suspension big head is very primitive, in its performance. That way will have very limited travel, due to only having a single universal joint.

For what you are looking to do, I would look a driveline with 2 articulating joints on each side. For an example, use a PTO shaft off a tractor, these are great as they slip with in each other great for AA suspension.

IMO it should be like this.

Single A arm suspension can use a single universal joint at the pivot point of the arms, this is because the wheel will move in an arch, not like Double A arm suspension.

Double A arm suspension should us something with two articulating joints, as the angle of the wheel changes throughout the range on movement.

Trailing arm suspension should be the same as the one above, to maximize its effectiveness. If you use a single UJ the travel will be limited to inches, compare to 10+ inches with 2 UJ.

If I was you, I would be looking for CVs out of a car or tractor PTO drives.

I am currently making a GPZ750 Piranha, I will be either using PTO shafts or CV joints, depending on what I can get my hands on, as well as using double A arm suspension.

Jeremy.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydog2010 View Post
The kind of suspension big head is very primitive, in its performance. That way will have very limited travel, due to only having a single universal joint.

For what you are looking to do, I would look a driveline with 2 articulating joints on each side. For an example, use a PTO shaft off a tractor, these are great as they slip with in each other great for AA suspension.

Single A arm suspension can use a single universal joint at the pivot point of the arms, this is because the wheel will move in an arch, not like Double A arm suspension.

Double A arm suspension should us something with two articulating joints, as the angle of the wheel changes throughout the range on movement.

Trailing arm suspension should be the same as the one above, to maximize its effectiveness. If you use a single UJ the travel will be limited to inches, compare to 10+ inches with 2 UJ.

I am currently making a GPZ750 Piranha, I will be either using PTO shafts or CV joints, depending on what I can get my hands on, as well as using double A arm suspension.

Jeremy.
Great post. I learned a lot. Yes my buggy was built in 1981. At one time it would have been the very best though.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Great post. I learned a lot. Yes my buggy was built in 1981. At one time it would have been the very best though.
Cheers Bighead.
I have no doubt, your buggy is very cool. If that concept hadn't been designed I doubt we would have what we have now.

Jeremy.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Rustydog,
Thank you. That helped me a ton.
Would there happen to be a thread on the green buggy?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydog2010 View Post

Jeremy.
could a setup similar to this work in a high-speed application? such as with a 1000cc motorcycle engine? looking to do something like that suspension/axle setup, but i am not really sure on:

1) what type of diff/axle/rear end to use (ATV? car diff w/CV Shafts?)

2)tires/rims would be big and wide enough to accommodate disc braking on all four corners. (15x7 with a 225-55 race tire)

3) HOW to connect such an assembly to a motorcycle transmission?

basically, i'd like to be able to put this thing on a road course and lap the crap out of supercars lol. i love watching the gixxerkart vids, but the main thing that annoys me is all they're good for is DOING DONUTS and not much else. i want one that is practical and can do 175+ safely, handle well and slow down well enough.

first post on here, but i have been planning this for years. the frame is the easy part for me; the hard part is figuring out exactly what parts to use and how to put them to use reliably
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 AM

first of all 175 what kph or mph

second of all are u after a buggy or road cart

and for the suspension u will probs want doulbe a arm independent

like this buggy http://www.edge.au.com/The_Barracuda
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM

175 mph lol. i know it's fast for something like this. i am going to work out some sort of aero package on it eventually.

kinda something similar to a Rage Buggy. more specifically, the RT200. just not as ugly lol
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Most high end sports cars in the US are limited at about 150-160 MPH because it's highly unsafe at any higher speeds. And where would you achieve those speeds? If you build a kart with that kind of potential, your acceleration will most likely be crap. Oh, one more thing, put your will in a black box somewhere in the kart. Have fun and more power to you, prove me wrong.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod View Post
could a setup similar to this work in a high-speed application? such as with a 1000cc motorcycle engine? looking to do something like that suspension/axle setup, but i am not really sure on:

1) what type of diff/axle/rear end to use (ATV? car diff w/CV Shafts?)

2)tires/rims would be big and wide enough to accommodate disc braking on all four corners. (15x7 with a 225-55 race tire)

3) HOW to connect such an assembly to a motorcycle transmission?

basically, i'd like to be able to put this thing on a road course and lap the crap out of supercars lol. i love watching the gixxerkart vids, but the main thing that annoys me is all they're good for is DOING DONUTS and not much else. i want one that is practical and can do 175+ safely, handle well and slow down well enough.

first post on here, but i have been planning this for years. the frame is the easy part for me; the hard part is figuring out exactly what parts to use and how to put them to use reliably
Why use a 1000cc MB engine? If it was me I would get the largest 2 stroke I could find. I have a 750cc inline 4, 4 stroke, 6 speed to go into a off road buggy, it weights an absolute ton. That compared to my 400cc, 2 stroke, 5 speed single cylinder MB engine. The a 400 weights next to nothing, I can carry it around all day.

ATV rear end? It will fail big time with that speed and power.
I personally would just run a live axle on the rear, maybe some single A arms up front with push rod suspension to try and keep it sleek.
The hard part will be trying to find rims and tyre that will be able to handle high speeds, without falling apart.

If money is no object, then it should be sweet.

Jeremy.

Edit: Maybe you should start up your own thread, and we can have a more indept disscussion. This sounds like a cool idea.