Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Coleman KT196

We bought the KT196 for my kids and was wondering if you guys had any good tips for maintaining and using our first go kart? Also how do you adjust the governor/speed limiter on it? Thanks
Old 12-16-2019, 07:34 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Wow guys, really?? No replies?

gokartdude,

Take off the air filter and post some pictures of the governor arm linkage! We should be able to help you tweak it for more speed. I was looking for a post that said how to do it, but I can't find it for some reason......

Shoot, while you're taking off the air filter, go ahead and upgrade it! Try getting a Stage 1 kit, should get somewhere around 7-8 HP, but it may be a little noisier due to the straight pipe. But it comes with a muffler, so all you have to do is screw it on, and it will still boost the power, plus it'll look good!

This is a Stage 1 kit for a Coleman CT200U minibike, but it's the same 196cc Honda clone, so it'll work. Plus the exhaust is shorter, so you don't have so many things hanging out!
https://www.ombwarehouse.com/stage-1...-or-212cc.html

I think you'll find that an adjusted governor and Stage 1 kit will be more than enough speed for you and your kids!
gokartdude82 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Road Hazard

On the throttle plate under the air filter (the filter really doesn't need to be taken off at first), there's a screw running parallel to the throttle cable, that the throttle arm (the one that moves when you push the pedal) comes over and hits. That screw can be backed out, or removed. With the screw removed the engine should turn somewhere near 4300 rpm. I really don't see a need for a performance kit at first, the stage 1 really only makes the engine flow a bit better, producing some more power. It'll still have the same top speed, it'll just get there a bit faster. And it will be louder.

Now for the maintenance, being a honda clone engine, it'll call for the engine oil to be changed every 20 hours, that's usually good if you use it often. Now, I can get away with changing it out seasonally (every spring and fall). I run Castrol GTX conventional in everything. Synthetic can be used, but not for the break in (it's too slippery and nothing will seat properly), and once you run synthetic in an engine you can't switch back to conventional. Also conventional is a bit cheaper, and that's all these little 1/2hp per cube engines need.

For fuel I recommend recreational (non-ethanol) gasoline. It is more expensive, but it won't gum up your carburetor like ethanol blends will. Also, each time you get done riding, turn the fuel off (using the valve on the carburetor), and either drive it around a bit, or let it sit there and idle. When it starts dying flip on the choke, that'll clear out the rest of the remaining gas. There will still be a little bit in there, but it won't be enough to gum up the carb.

And I'll usually change out the spark plugs every year. For the clutch, each time you get done riding, put two or three drops of oil on the bushing behind the snap ring and move the kart around some (mostly back and forth). These clutches have an oil impregnated bushing that will soak up the oil when it's hot (when you're done riding) better than when it's cold (before you ride). You can also pull it apart and add some grease to the bushing. But the one thing to remember is to not get any oil on the clutch plates or the clutch bell. That'll ruin the clutch.

Personally I'd let your kids get used to the kart before adding the stage 1 kit.
gokartdude82 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Hello! Wow thanks for the replies. I am definitely just gonna start off adjusting the screw and see how comfortable I feel before I go getting that stage 1 kit. Also I don't need to upset my wife lol. I just test rode it yesterday and it felt pretty good . Just gotta painfully wait till Christmas to really see how my 9 yr old does on it. I know I will have a ton more questions. Nice to know there is a site I can get my answers. Thanks !!
The Following User Says Thank You to gokartdude82 For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:42 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

That's what we're here for!
I think that 9 year old is going to bug out when he(?) sees it! Merry Christmas!
gokartdude82 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:32 PM

So rode it today. It was great. Couldn't do much grass/off road stuff since everything was so muddy. Had to stay on road. It does seem to vibrate a good bit while driving. What could be causing that?
Old 12-26-2019, 02:17 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Some vibration is normal. It shouldn't be excessive. Make sure the engine and all parts are bolted down and everything is straight. Also make sure you put fresh gas in it.

Why'd ya stay on road? What was the limitation off road?
Old 12-26-2019, 04:42 PM

I was real tired when I typed that sorry. It's been raining a lot here lately so it was super muddy. Vibration felt a little too much to me. I might need to check all the bolts.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:10 PM

Some of that is because it's new and needs break in. Definitely do a good preflight inspection. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Make sure everything is in its place and properly secure. Let your new rider delegate how the governor should be adjusted by his display of responsibility and skills not your own personal desires. You don't want any of the previous listed 3 things end you young rider up being injured or worse, just something to think about. I'm all about turning it up mind you. So long as all involved can handle it. Get back with us and let us know what has been going on with you guys and the bike. I enjoy hearing about the fun.
Flyinhillbilly (12-29-2019), gokartdude82 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 PM

Gonna try to drive it on Wednesday as long as yard has dried up. I will definitely do a pre ride inspection this time around. I will let you guys know how it did. Thanks