Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 PM

Default Need advice on parts/issues with Ken Bar DD9 go kart

Hello, first post here. I recently bought a go kart for $200 (not sure if a good deal or not), according to stickers it is a Ken Bar Streaker DD9 and seems to be all original for the most part. I have a few questions as to what I need and where to get the parts.

1.) It came with a tecumseh 9hp motor model #HM90. The PO said it was the original motor and all it needs is a tank and carb cleaning but he also said it needs a clutch. There are parts of the old clutch still left and Iím not sure if it is all there and I need to buy a new one. So my question is what kind of clutch do I need here if I need a new one and where could I find one?

2.) It also needs a chain. Iím attatching pictures of the rear and sprocket so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for a chain as well.

3.) while looking at the front I noticed that what the steering arm? Rod? Is attatched to at the tire is bent up at almost a 45 degree angle. Iím not sure if this piece is called a spindle arm or what but the passenger side is almost straight while the driver side is angled up. It doesnít seem to affect the steering so I didnít know if it was meant to be like this or if it got bent. If it needs replacing where can I get this piece and what is it called?

4.) Lastly, when looking at the front of the kart at eye level it almost appears as if the frame could slightly be bent. The passenger side where tire connects seems a tad taller than the driver side. I measured is it is maybe an 1/8 of and inch difference. Is this something that could be fine to leave or would it cause problems?

Sorry for the long first post. Hopefully these photos attatch! Thank you all for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
0853286F-EA68-4798-AD3B-772DDC875F3E.jpg   4A0FC718-F0B2-42DB-AF2F-742012ED14BA.jpg  

7A346C2B-7E56-4165-B71B-6A9E8A059D7B.jpg   45527CDF-95E1-43F7-9F95-2E753890A332.jpg  

EAA9B9DB-2379-4DBB-9ADE-B7D80D05CC26.jpg   F54C41E3-59E3-40DC-BBAE-554F4CD604CE.jpg  

93350965-20F0-44CD-A64A-9E829B6B51C4.jpg   76ECB2BE-FF62-48B2-8661-9445CF366F0F.jpg  

Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Broke

If this clutch isn't too rusty, the shaft on the other pulley goes in the plate, will probably need new bearings. Someone else will have to grab it but there are belt sizing charts online, looks like a 30 series. (Comet torque averter) I'm guessing it's a 1 inch shaft because of the engine but I'm not sure. Those carbs are pretty easy to go through, and good luck.
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:38 AM

I don't feel you went wrong spending the $200 on it, they aren't exactly common anymore. The streaker we had as kids was a different model without a roll bar and it was one wheel peel, looks like yours is live axle. I seem to recall a 5hp tecumseh on ours, so If my 30ish year memory is correct it very well could be the original, making it just a tad cooler. The 1/8th inch of play in the frame is probably not going to hurt it, I'd inspect every weld from front to back, if needed repair gently! Your rear sprocket appears to need a #40, 41 or 420 chain, and the spindle (yes that's the name for it) is bent up, needs to be parallel to the ground, also i noticed a significant toe out, almost like the tierods are too long or need adjusted bad. I agree that it looks like a 30 series comet clutch, cvt, or torqaverter (many names for the same part) and you can find everything you need on amazon, gopowersports, bmikarts or probably many other sites, eBay is also among those. Last but certainly not least, welcome to the forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Yeah that steering part that's bent on the driver's side is called a spindle arm, and NO it is not meant to be bent up like that. Bend it back gently if you can, but remember that metal loses strength every time it's bent, so it may snap if you're not careful.
And yes the passenger side does look ever so slightly bent(maybe the PO ran over a log???), so I'd try to see if there's one bend point, or if it's a long, spread out bend. If it's one bend area, then it's possible to bend it back, but if it's spread out I'm afraid it might be too hard.
Good find for $200! I'd paint it something other than that nasty John Deere green(why are there so many JD green karts out there??? It's not even a good looking color!!).
And even though I don't really like Tecumsehs, I suggest you keep that one, as it's a flathead. That means more torque which is harder to get out of Harbor Freight engines.
I've heard good things about Ken-Bar Streakers being tough karts, so you'll probably enjoy this one!
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Thanked 4,326 Times in 3,253 Posts

I think 200 was a good deal, that's a nice kart, and the engine is -albeit not exactly beloved- a very robust and reliable powerplant
(apart from the carbs which allegedly are prone to failure and expensive to replace)
the old 'clutch' is a torque converter which seems to be complete except for the belt that connects the two pulleys. post a different angle of the pulley sheaves for us to determine if it's a series 30 or 20 (I think 30 which is actually not the original setup IIRC)

the series 30 has the inboard sheave being nearly straight and only the moveable outboard sheave at an angle calling for an "asymmetric belt" a series 20 has both sheaves at the same angle (and thus a symmetric belt)

The sheaves are pretty rusty and certainly need a good maintenance, but a true comet TC is a valuable piece of equipment and well worth the effort (and maybe money for replacement parts when necessary)

chain appears to be 1/2pitch, so a #40/#41 if #40 go with that if #41 go with a 420 instead
(measure the thickness of the axle sprocket to tell if you can fit a #41 or 420..
also measure between two adjacent teeth tips to know i it's indeed 1/2" between them.

the link on the spindle is bend up a bit, but by far not as much as you might think..
Some karts have different angles to the links in order to clear the frame rails
especially with the tierods being mounted in that very fasion
(one above the pitman arm, one below)
the goal is to have both tie rods running nearly straight and levelled from the pitman arm to the spindal linkage. (and that doesn't look too bad on pic #6 IMHO)

I can't seem to see what you mean by taller passenger side ?
spingle? the bracket? the ride height due to a bend frame rail? I can't see it...

Anyways, 1/8" is alot for a race track kart, and essentially not noteworthy on a true offroad beater..
if you want the ebst possible handling, get it back straight as good as you can, if you just want to distract some underwood in the local forrest, leave it for now

'sid
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Thank you everyone for the help! Iím attatching more angles of the TC as requested. Hope this helps to identify. I noticed (20) in small letters on the same side as the the word (Comet). My concern is that if it is a 20 or 30 series will that be enough for a 9hp? Online it said a 30 series is rated up to 8hp?

Also, Iím attatching a photo of the front of the kart with a red line drawn to hopefully help see a ďtwistĒ or ďbendĒ in the frame since someone said they couldnít see it.

I will upload measurements on the sprocket when I get a chance.

Again, thank you all for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
33502A63-D14E-42FE-89C9-0ADD26A2C673.jpg   85BBF11B-9534-4CE1-A3B9-00B0E53FFB9D.jpg  

185B4277-9C29-4DC7-B4B8-4E2F03401D4F.jpg   57C0BE55-29C9-49DC-A3AF-61CD0548CBA4.jpg  

3A91A2FF-3031-4D54-9739-84C7E26D8EAD.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Youngin For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

That's a 30 series, since it's not symmetrical. Dunno why it says 20. It's a genuine Comet, and that's a good thing!
Putting 9 HP through a 30 series should be fine, and 40 series are much more expensive and are for 1" output shafts anyway.
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM

yes, certainly series 30..
the "20" denotes the cam angle on the driven cam (where it's stamped to)
and yes, that IS confusing at times .. no worries

it needs a ton of love though, but can be brought back to near perfect condition I bet.

The TC itself will be fine with a 9horse engine, the belt might suffer more than one would like,
but still within a reasonable amount.

What I think will NOT be up for the task is the pressed sheet steel backplate you still have on the engine;
So two options
1) a aluminium cast series 30 backplate
2) a proper jackshaft mount (either a plate that mounts underneath the engine, or to pillow blocks fixed 'somewhere' on the kart

The easiest thing IMHO:
buy a clone series 30 TAVKIT on ebay (they're cheap)
and use it as a partsdonor for all that needs replacement (weights and garter springs maybe.. the backplate surely)
and it comes with the now missing belt (a cheap one at that likely.. but if you're lucky it'll do)
you could even mount the clone,
and take your time restoring the original comet with some elbow grease and patience.

hehe a crooked hand drawn line doesn't actually help I'm afraid

I drew a 10px wide straight line between the vertical center of each spindle.
And while it's at an angle (not perfectly straight on pic)
I cannot see any deviation in the front tube (or axle you might want to call it)
There could still be one I'm unable to detect of course..
pictures can be deceiving, in fact even my monitor can trick me into things incorrectly.

So easy test:
draw a string between the Kingpin heads (the bolts that hold the spindles to the chassis)
tight that is.. if you have nylon or even steel wire if you can get it really tightly stretched between the kingpins.
Then use a ruler to check the front beam against the string.

But yeah, chances are PO hit a curb or tree hard enouh to move one spindle back, or up or both..

'sid
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Nice kart. Unfortunately someone has modified the original axle. That kart came with dual disk brakes and a differential at the sprocket. But that's no biggy unless you really wanted it original like anyway.

Your bent front spindle arm looks worse than it is--just as the above posters mentioned. If you decide to bend it back down do so with care as those things have a tendency to crack along the stress points from work hardening. And it doesn't take much either. I would actually advise you to go ahead and inspect it closely for cracks asap. I have straightened them by using a crescent wrench slipped onto the very end of the tab and slowly bent like a lever arm. I don't hit them with a hammer.

Minor bends in an old kart frame are not uncommon. Depending upon severity it may or may not be a concern. Yes you can straighten them out. And so can a body shop. Think cash money.

Check over the tie rod ends really good. Trust me. I have three Ken Bars and those tie rod ends will strike like a rattlesnake out of nowhere if it has any wear. They are far less forgiving than a heim joint or a spherical bearing.

You will hear a lot of people complain about the Tecumseh. If you know your stuff it will run just as well as any of the other engines in it's class. You just gotta be on your game and know your way around it's carburetor.

When I get home I will take better look at the pics! Thanks for sharing and good luck!
landuse (10-01-2019), Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies! Yes I admit that hand drawn line was not the best idea lol!

Since it came with dual disc brakes originally will one be enough stopping power?

Also, as for seat restoration, do you all prefer to make your own or buy a new one? I like the look of the original with the stripe but could not find an exact match. Thanks.
ēMERGEDē
Iím posting more pics of the seat because Iím the first post it looked ok but you can see here itís pretty rough.
Attached Thumbnails
518A3752-9EA6-44A2-93A6-EAFD18DB5493.jpg   C9D881C4-A992-4394-B016-5397ABA99D3E.jpg  

43C28703-B267-4909-90E8-81C3C3623B30.jpg   C81E5BB7-B4A3-4302-A6A9-59AEE0FC7276.jpg  

Last edited by itsid; 10-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:01 PM

One disk will stop it fine. You need two only if you use the differential. As for the seat let me know if you find anything. I would like a factory replica myself. They aren't particularly comfortable but they fit and feel right on the frame and have that classic kart look.

Do me a favor Youngin...please! Please remove that godforsaken, unholy, hollow wall anchor bolt from the front of the roll cage! Throw that piece of junk in the trash can and walk away from it! Replace it with a suitable bolt. A grade 5 will be plenty fine. Actually it wouldn't hurt to replace them all with good hardware. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

upon closer look at your pics on my computer instead of my phone I am thinking the tie rod ends on your left tie rod are worn pretty bad. I suggest replacement.

I agree with itsid...at least from the view the pic gives...the front cross member doesn't seem to be bent that much. It can be bent slightly and still be adjusted out by the tie rods so long as you aren't doing any aggressive high speed road riding on it. If you are just gonna rip the yard I wouldn't give it much thought. If you are gonna build a hot engine and go crazy with it you will want it as perfect as possible.

It's a good frame. Look it over for cracks. Get them fixed. And enjoy it. A predator 212 will pull it fine if you do your part with gearing and tuning. I promise you.

Here are a few pics of my Ken Bars to give you some ideas, mine are old junkers and are being rebuilt this winter. Right now only one is up and running. The black one which someone hacked up. I will eventually try and put it back right. The one with the big knobby tires has a jackshaft plate that works great. Or you can do as itsid advised and get the tav unit. The jackplates are tougher in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_181739148.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	112438

Name:	IMG_20190525_133207948.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	112439

Name:	IMG_20190611_185500839.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	726.3 KB
ID:	112440

Last edited by itsid; 09-30-2019 at 11:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigWes For This Useful Post:
Youngin (09-30-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Yes, I planned to replace that lol. I didnt think about just going ahead and replacing them all with better hardware. Yíall have given some good advice thanks!

And thanks for sharing pics of your kart bigwes. Iím glad to see other streakers for ideas, I couldnít really find too much on the DD9 model except that it got a 4 out of 10 on buggymasters review so hopefully Iíll get more joy out of it than he did lol!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin View Post
Yes, I planned to replace that lol. I didnt think about just going ahead and replacing them all with better hardware. Yíall have given some good advice thanks!

And thanks for sharing pics of your kart bigwes. Iím glad to see other streakers for ideas, I couldnít really find too much on the DD9 model except that it got a 4 out of 10 on buggymasters review so hopefully Iíll get more joy out of it than he did lol!
Their review compares a gokart to an off road buggy. Do you feel this is a fair comparison? Do you think a gokart with no suspension was something designed or intended to be used for jumping sand dunes or hills? I certainly don't think so myself. It's a robust kart for sure. But without springs, shocks, or any kind of true suspension it should not be compared to or against with something that outclasses it in that area. Jump a few dunes and the tie rods and spindles will go first. The axle will fail or bend in short order. And it won't be long before the frame will be cracked or broken and bent.

Check out some of the kart sites. I do recommend a larger steering wheel. The small one it comes with doesn't have enough leverage for my liking.

Trust me. It's a good kart. But it's still a kart. Not really a buggy. It's an awesome platform for a solid build and you got a fair deal. It needs some work but nothing you can't do.

I'm waiting for the heat wave to end.

Name:	IMG_20190622_124118862.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	112450

This is the black one I was talking about

Last edited by itsid; 10-01-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Yeah I didnít think it too fair of a comparison either just couldnít find much. Iíll check some other sites.

I like that seat! Where did you get it??
Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 AM

That sir is a boat seat...it came on the kart when I got it. I don't recommend one but it will work. I just haven't swapped it out yet. It's comfortable, the major issue being your backside tends to slip around in it as you are cornering in the kart. Imagine my surprise as I was unaware of this an almost slung myself out of the kart the first time I drove it!

This kart has a ways to go yet!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Here are some pictures of the sprocket measurements that I said I would post. If anyone could point me to the right chain that would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
B3AFEC9E-3FB5-44FC-832D-19B574AADEF4.jpg   5757CD0B-AB3A-458A-B2EE-256171E85BAA.jpg  

Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 PM

half inch pitch 3/16" wide sprocket suggest a #41 chain..
I'd go with the much stronger (similarly sized) 420 chain instead, but both should work fine.

#40 chain will also work, but tends to be a tad floppy on the sprocket since it's a bit wider than the previous two
[EDIT]
For the seat I'd make a new one I guess..
with you worn out one you have a very nice template to go by,
and the rest is a sewing machine and some vinyl (and a fair amount of effort)...
Grant made a nice how to that I cannot seem to find atm..
but you can find a handfull of home made seats around here.

'sid

Last edited by itsid; 10-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsid For This Useful Post:
Youngin (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Aka a kenbar

hey dont forget me i have a ken bar too just not a dd9 i named it bgk or budget gokart hence the name
Old 10-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
hey dont forget me i have a ken bar too just not a dd9 i named it bgk or budget gokart hence the name
I'm gonna try and do a little more to my black one today budget...

I need to replace the sprocket and clean the driver... maybe I can take a few pics and do a post... separate from here and make it general so we can join in and have fun.