Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Khandi ATV won't run

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot why my Khandi KD-200GKH-2200 won't run.

I took it to a licensed mechanic before the summer months. He installed a new carburetor and got it running again.

I left for the summer and had hoped the folks watching our home would start it periodically. I've tried several things and can't seem to get it to run.

Below are the things I've tried:
1) Putting Stabil into the gas tank with the remaining gas that was left after returning from the summer.
2) Putting Mechanic In a Bottle in the gas tank
3) My mechanic recommended spraying starter fluid in the air intake. I was able to get it to start, but once the fluid runs out, it dies.
4) I drained as much as I could from the gas that was left from the summer w/ now the Stabil and MIB. There was about an 1" of gas left in the gas tank.
5) I put in fresh unleaded grade 91 gas, sprayed the starter fluid in the air intake, and again it would start, but die again once the starter fluid ran out.

I'm out of ideas. I've read on this forum that the carb is the likely culpruit, but having recently replaced it, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of removing it, inspecting/cleaning it.

My husband bought this cart for our kids for Christmas a few years ago, and they really enjoy riding it. But my husband has no interest in working on it. I'm tired of spending money on things and not maintaining them, and having toys that don't run.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you for your time!
Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

You have a dirty gummed up carb. Putting Stabil in old gas won't do anything.
You will have to either open up the carburetor and clean it out(not really that hard), or get the carb replaced again.
The cost of cleaning a carb is only the cost of a can of spray carburetor cleaner and your time.
I'd just clean it, but then again, I've done it before.(BTW I'm 13 so it's really not that hard)

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Oh yeah, and you will need to drain ALL of the old gas.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

And also: Be warned, these Chinese powersports toys are usually poorly built, and replacement parts are essentially non-existent. Just a heads-up.
tmax11 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Default Carb location

I believe based on the diagrams that I looked at, this is the carb. Is that correct? Should I just remove the two screws shown below the red arrows?
Also, what is the best way to empty the old gas? Should I remove the tubing above the filter and just let it drain from there? See the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3037_arrow.jpg   IMG_3036_arrow.jpg  

Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

I think that's the carb but I don't know. Someone else with more experience with these engines will be able to help.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Yes, that is the carburetor. Talk to these people for support and possibly links to repair manuals.

https://www.kandiusa.com/

http://www.jmotorworld.com/
Old 09-27-2019, 03:57 AM

Thanked 3,462 Times in 2,823 Posts

If it were me i would kick your husbands rear end and get him to help you out.

YouTube is your friend when it comes to this type of thing. I have learned pretty much all I know from YouTube vids. Search for some that show you people cleaning the same sort of carb as yours.

Also, take loads of pics as you dismantle and clean the carb so that you know how it all goes back together again. Doing this has saved me much heartache and anguish
Old 09-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Not an expert, but...

1) new carburetors are starting at $15 - $20....maybe it would be easier for you to just put there new carburetor; than to trying to take it apart, clean and put back together?

2) you should probably clean the jets; they are hidden in the bowl on the bottom of the carburetor, you will flip carburetor over, remove 4 bottom screws to remove the bottom of the carburetor, and then screw out 3 golden jets that you find inside (with lot of tiny holes in them) and clean them + clean the vent that is blocking/allowing flow of fuel into carburetor

3) isn't that fuel filter on second photo problem? is it clean and is fuel going through?

4) is the petcock (that switch above filter) open?
The Following User Says Thank You to vybrano For This Useful Post:
Hellion (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmax11 View Post
I left for the summer and had hoped the folks watching our home would start it periodically. I've tried several things and can't seem to get it to run.
You hoped. Unless you specifically tell people to do things, they won't. Periodically starting it, while a good idea, still means you had stale fuel in it that was slowly going rancid.

Don't ever store power equipment with fuel in it. Turn the fuel 'petcock' to OFF while the buggy is running and let it run out of fuel. Try to start it a few more times, especially with the choke on, to make sure the carb is dry. Draining the fuel tank would be step two. Buy a siphon hose just for this purpose or disconnect the fuel hose and let it drain into a jug. Leave the gas gap off or loose to let the residual fuel evaporate, then tighten it.
EDIT--In the second photo, that is a great place to disconnect the fuel line and drain the tank.

Switch to using gasoline with 0% ethanol in it. It's known as 100% gasoline, E0 [ethanol 0%] or often called "premium" unleaded in some states. Ethanol is bad news because the ethyl alcohol is hygroscopic, meaning it draws moisture out of the air and into the fuel. Water causes corrosion in steel gas tanks and the alcohol dissolves and degrades rubber. Both of these create particulates and residues in the fuel, basically helps turn the fuel into a soup. I use this site to find it: https://www.pure-gas.org/

You don't need high octane [91] for these engines, that's overkill, but if that's the only grade you can get that's E0, it'll be fine.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Thanks for all the pointers!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm currently draining the gas tank and will obtain some ethanol free gasoline. I'll see if that gets it running, and if not, I think I'll have to resort to pulling the carb off and cleaning it.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,116 Posts

Ethanol-free gas and draining the tank and engine before storage (or inactivity) was just your long-term remedy for the trouble you're having now. I fully suspect your carburetor is clogged with dirty fuel or gummed/varnished up.

If you need help and have a million questions to ask, you could definitely "bring this forum to your workbench" and query us each and every step along the way if that suits you. I mean removing the carb and photographing it on your workbench (or kitchen table)...

I think at the least you should buy a can of carburetor/choke cleaner at this point.

Your fuel tank might need attention. It could have dirt in it, bits of crushed leaves, sand, anything.
It might need a good flush.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 AM

That filter is definitely part of the issue, it should be clear and fuel visible, you can get a 3 pack on Amazon pretty cheap last time I looked.

Petcock does intact look to be closed in your photo, if it's closed it's not getting fuel from the tank to carb.

And the carb likely does need cleaned, but I believe your picture shows the top, and I seem to remember it being a diaphragm under that cap, bowl should be at the bottom, and the one I had was very similar to a honda/clone carb. There should be a nut or bolt in the center on the bottom, remove that and the bowl should drop, float and needle inside, the needles seem to get stuck closed preventing fuel from running thru the carb. Usually carb cleaner and a very small nylon brush will help get rid of all the gummy stuff inside. I would make buying a carb the last resort, when I tried to order a replacement it was entirely too big, and never was able to return it for the right one, got aggravated and sold the minibike it was on.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Default update

I got a new fuel filter and installed it with the magnet at the top (towards the fuel tank). The petcock is turned to "on".

I put in ethanol free gas (see picture).

I sprayed starter fluid in the air filter again to start it. It started, but again died after the fluid ran out.

I was a little surprised that the fuel filter didn't show fuel flowing through it. Should it?

If that all seems right, then I'll need to dig into the carb.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3076.jpg   IMG_3077.jpg  

IMG_3078.jpg  
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Senor Member

Yes, the fuel filter should have gas in it. Try it with the gas cap off. Or maybe your petcock is faulty. Maybe disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and see if gas comes out as you move the petcock lever to different positions. The petcock usually has a rubber insert inside of it that can turn mushy.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Just pull out fuel line from carburetor and confirm, that fuel is freely flowing out of line.

You will confirm that gas has clear route: tank => petcock => filter => carburetor and that problem is in carburetor itself or between carburetor => engine.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 AM

I don't bother to clean those carbs. They go bad pretty quickly. I just buy one from Ebay every year and that solves the problem. You loosen the screw in the yellow circle and remove the air cleaner form the other side. Yours has an electric choke, so follow the wires and unplug it. Then plug the new one in. You can remove the throttle cable easily also. That's what I would do.
Attached Images