Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 PM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default Overhaul on the Carter Brothers 2435 continues

After riding the kart for a little bit I decided to tear it back down and throw some color on it. Let my daughter pick the color, Sunburst Yellow.

Need to touch up the wheels and I have some perforated sheet metal that I'm going to make a guard at the front that wraps underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190818_144430.jpg   IMG_20190922_170654.jpg  

IMG_20190923_195727.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2019, 05:26 AM
Budget GoKart's Avatar
Budget GoKart Budget GoKart is offline
Aka a kenbar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: indiana
Posts: 976
Thanks: 19
Thanked 102 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Nice paint job
__________________
quotes from me: I didnt do it. i broke it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2019, 07:26 PM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Got the tie rods back on and almost finished the front end and realized I never trimmed up the steering arms. Also want to get some new shiny hardware for it. Have to get some new bolts for the steering wheel as well. Over all though I'm definitely liking how it's turning out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190924_184735.jpg   IMG_20190924_184743.jpg  

IMG_20190924_185003.jpg   IMG_20190924_185051.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2019, 12:48 AM
landuse's Avatar
landuse landuse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Posts: 17,357
Thanks: 2,124
Thanked 3,462 Times in 2,823 Posts
Default

Looking good!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Hellion's Avatar
Hellion Hellion is offline
Disc brakes'r for cowards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 4,721
Thanks: 1,680
Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5814SpeedCo View Post
Got the tie rods back on and almost finished the front end and realized I never trimmed up the steering arms. Also want to get some new shiny hardware for it. Have to get some new bolts for the steering wheel as well. Over all though I'm definitely liking how it's turning out.

Nice deluxe heim joints.

I like your spindle steering arms--they're offset to fit inside/with the rims. You'd obviously have a tire rubbing issue without them. Are they custom?

What's your spindle axle length and the size of your front rims and tires? I'm kind of asking on behalf of throttleman who's having fitment issues. See this thread: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42091
__________________
"I'm just here for the gasoline"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Nice deluxe heim joints.

I like your spindle steering arms--they're offset to fit inside/with the rims. You'd obviously have a tire rubbing issue without them. Are they custom?

What's your spindle axle length and the size of your front rims and tires? I'm kind of asking on behalf of throttleman who's having fitment issues. See this thread: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42091
Cut off the old arms and welded on some step out arms to clear the tires.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5814SpeedCo For This Useful Post:
Hellion (10-30-2019)
  #7  
Old 09-28-2019, 09:24 AM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

The original pedals were to far gone to restore so I have a set from a Manco that I'll be setting up. The brake lever will need a spring to pull it back into place once depressed. After that they will get paint and maybe something out on them for grip.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190928_091913.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5814SpeedCo For This Useful Post:
Hellion (10-30-2019)
  #8  
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 PM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Been ripping around on the kart but decided that it needs some assistance with driving at night so.....I am adding a 12" LED light bar to the front. It looks pretty tough and will definitely light up the road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191016_181229.jpg   IMG_20191016_181244.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Hellion's Avatar
Hellion Hellion is offline
Disc brakes'r for cowards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 4,721
Thanks: 1,680
Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default

I’m often repeating this but those pedals are interchangeable left and right—the best way is have them arching away from you and they’ll provide a foot rest as well in that orientation.

So the right pedal should be rotated 180 degrees and mounted on the left (as the brake), and do the same with the left pedal turning it into the gas pedal. Way more comfortable in my estimation. Just a thought.
__________________
"I'm just here for the gasoline"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM
5814SpeedCo 5814SpeedCo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I’m often repeating this but those pedals are interchangeable left and right—the best way is have them arching away from you and they’ll provide a foot rest as well in that orientation.

So the right pedal should be rotated 180 degrees and mounted on the left (as the brake), and do the same with the left pedal turning it into the gas pedal. Way more comfortable in my estimation. Just a thought.
If I had the pedals as you suggest, the left tire would be rubbing on the pedal at full left turn. Plus my daughter is only 7 and wouldn't be able to reach the pedals.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Hellion's Avatar
Hellion Hellion is offline
Disc brakes'r for cowards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 4,721
Thanks: 1,680
Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5814SpeedCo View Post
If I had the pedals as you suggest, the left tire would be rubbing on the pedal at full left turn. Plus my daughter is only 7 and wouldn't be able to reach the pedals.
Check again, the pedals have the same offset whether facing towards you or away. No rubbing should occur. But....your mileage may vary.

I didn’t know your daughter was 7.
__________________
"I'm just here for the gasoline"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.