Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 PM

All depends on $ and time. If you aren't going to miss $40 get a new one! Sure makes getting components off and on much nicer. I admit I've been known to use some nasty ones before. Yeah I just tiller our garden, got around 40 tomato plants. I was going to water them afterwards but just walking by them I sweated on them enough I don't have to now. It's crippling. Going thru the headbands. I don't like wet jeans so stick to shorts. It's 830 here and still 90.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:43 PM
2018 Build-Off Contestant

Itíll work, I just donít want it to damage the new componentsÖ
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 AM

Thanked 3,462 Times in 2,823 Posts

That keyway looks a bit out of shape. Is the axle still round in that area?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM

Due to some incompetent welder issues, I didnít get what I wanted to weld yesterday done but I am in the process of doing them today. I had to preheat it and Iíve only got one of those burnz-O-matic torches.

Over the past few days I pulled the front wheels, steering push rods(and quick painted them), pulled the rear axle assembly, cleaned some areas for welding, welded part of a support for the rear portion of the suspension, welded two of the four hinge pieces, and I had my father cut the frame with his sawzall cuz I knew he could cut straighter than I could. So now I donít have to worry about getting the hinges to line up in that axis. My father also tried welding the back of the seat on and it is definitely a lot more solid than when I welded it(I had the feed too high).

Sorry the pictures were taken at like 12:00 last night, Iíll post some more once Iím done welding the other two hinges and some other things.

As far as I know the axle is still round there, the keyway is a bit widened though, Iíll post a picture of the key that was in it and a close up of the keyway. Iím thinking if Iím doing this much, I mind as well go a little bit further and get a new axle. Iím not certain yet though.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Put everything back now and go for a spin, now with joints .

Looks beautiful, now awaits springs, independent rear suspension, limited slip torsen diff, turbo EFI, and a full ECU.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Lol, I wish I had enough money for all those.

The other sides keyway isnít as bad.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Default 2018 - Manco Dingo suspension & a little extra

Welp my welder hates me, yet again the weld seemed solid, gave it some good smacks with a hammer, didnít budge. Later when the other welds were completed and I was working the joints in, it snaps. If these still donít hold once Iím done with some other things, Iím thinking Iíll have to A. See if my neighbor can weld it, he has a stick welder. or B. Bring it somewhere and pay for it.

Anyways I got the rest of the support bar welded and the other 3(now 2) hinge pieces welded. Again sorry for the pictures at night.

The black piece on the support bar is the main strength but since itís only like 1/16Ē thick square tube, I added a piece of the 1Ēx.125Ē flat steel(?) to the underside so that if I hit a log or something it wouldnít collapse.

And yes the welds arenít the prettiest but Iím still learning and trying to figure stuff out. The beads are definitely nicer than before, but still not as smooth as Iíd like.

I may not be in for part of tomorrow and Saturday & Sunday so no updates unfortunately.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,007 Times in 808 Posts

I would recommend either spending a day practicing on scrap, or taking this somewhere where a welder with some penetration power could be employed. You are not getting into the metal, these welds will not hold up. Sorry.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
You are not getting into the metal, these welds will not hold up. Sorry.

Thanks, I had a feeling it didnít quite penetrate as well as it should have. Could I use it for the 1/16Ē thick walled square tube that will be used for the shock brace/support, the fender frames, and possibly the backup tank mount/cargo shelf(if I have materials and time)?

EDIT:
I wasnít quite sure exactly what welder I had so I looked it up(Iím not home) and I found what Iím pretty sure is one of the reasons for it not penetrating. And itís quite stupid that my father and I over looked it, we have a ~100í(2 50í) extension cord going out to our garage.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:12 PM

Sorry about the lack of updates, I havenít really gotten to work on it this past week because Iíve been working for my father and Iíve been quite burned out when I get home.

Today I got $50 for replacing a blade pulley on a ride on and removing 20-30 rocks from a lawn for that older guy I was talking about. Some time later this week Iím gonna go over and do some more, he likes his lawn mowed on 1 and it isnít really suited for 1.

Tomorrow Iím going to install a carb on a push mower so I can sell it. Then Iím gonna work on the Gokart. I also intend to order some parts and look for an axle that will get here sooner than later.

The sprocket came in today and I got a ďdry fitĒ of the mount and everything. It fits snug. Iím thinking Iíll put the old mount on there without a key for a little extra support.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 PM

I didnít quite get to work on the kart today but I believe I solved the welder problem.

Now Iím running a 25í heavy extension cord from an outlet in the basement(less than a foot from the breaker box) and Iím welding right outside our basement in the grass(itís green). I didnít get to do that much testing but it definitely seems like the weld not only penetrated a lot better than before but also had less than a quarter the amount of spatter from before as well.

I didnít do that much prep work beforehand either and the weld was only cleaned quickly with a wire brush.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 AM

Thanked 3,462 Times in 2,823 Posts

Have you checked your welds with the hammer test? Just looking at these pics I am not sure how sturdy those welds actually are
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Joe-405 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 AM

I didnít hv my hammer within reasonable distance(I was to lazy to walk 100í) and it was getting dark out but I did put the small portion in the vice and give it a good pull and ended up bending the larger bar. I also hit it a few times on the end of the vice(donít judge me, I intend to take care of it). Iíll put it to the hammer test later, I gotta go to work.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Try cleaning or prepping your medal better. Grind it down to bare shin metal before you weld. A dirty weld is bad. Wire wheel is not good enough in many cases.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Try cleaning or prepping your medal better. Grind it down to bare shin metal before you weld. A dirty weld is bad. Wire wheel is not good enough in many cases.

Thanks, I was in a hurry last night and figured it was clean enough to at least prove that the shorter extension cord would fix my problem. As for the wire brush, I was saying after I welded it I cleaned some of the spatter and stuff off with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Try more heat and bigger circle pattern motions for the welds. It should help.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM
a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaterofAincrad View Post
Sorry about the lack of updates, I havenít really gotten to work on it this past week because Iíve been working for my father and Iíve been quite burned out when I get home.

Today I got $50 for replacing a blade pulley on a ride on and removing 20-30 rocks from a lawn for that older guy I was talking about. Some time later this week Iím gonna go over and do some more, he likes his lawn mowed on 1 and it isnít really suited for 1.

Tomorrow Iím going to install a carb on a push mower so I can sell it. Then Iím gonna work on the Gokart. I also intend to order some parts and look for an axle that will get here sooner than later.

The sprocket came in today and I got a ďdry fitĒ of the mount and everything. It fits snug. Iím thinking Iíll put the old mount on there without a key for a little extra support.
Ive been looking for a sprocket like that (6 holes)
where did you get it?its #41 chain right?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM

tgus3, yeah itís #41/420 itís a 60tooth but they also have a 54tooth. I got it on amazon, it took me awhile to find it too because it doesnít have any specific size in the name. Itís called ďManco sprocket 9338Ē https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0068...op_mb_pd_title

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Joe-405, thanks Iíll try that.
The Following User Says Thank You to BeaterofAincrad For This Useful Post:
tgus3 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Yesterday it started raining like 5 minutes after I got out there so I couldnít weld.

And today it rained from like 6am- 4pm and after that it was on/off sprinkling. I did however manage to cleanup and almost finish welding one of the four hinge pieces. I didnít preheat it because I didnít want to use all of my fathers gas in his torch if I didnít necessarily need it. It definitely penetrated a lot better but could probably use a little preheating, Iím not sure.

I also ordered the pillow bearings, air filter, and axle, I just heard a cha-ching then the toilet flushÖ Ugh, well I just have to think on the bright side, I wonít have such bad headaches and a sore tail bone after riding. Those will get here I believe the last week of July.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

That’s better. Looks like you might need to slow down a little bit On your hand motions.
Closed Thread