Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Default Vintage RC10 Revival!

Well, since the Hothead is on hold for a while, I might as well get started on this thing.
This is an old Team Associated RC10 car I got from my dad, who my grandpa bought it for.
It's got all independent long travel suspension with adjustable oil damped shocks, a Vari-Lok differential, with a stock motor as far as I know.
And ohhh, those massive knobbies are amazing!
I've also got a Kyosho Le Mans Super Stock 34 racing motor that I'm considering swapping in.
BTW this is a relic from the 80s RC racing scene, so both motors are brushed I believe(the Kyosho definitely is).
Futaba Magnum Junior controller.
I plan to paint the body in the future, since that color is just unappetizing.

All it's missing is a battery, so I need to get one and a charger to get this thing to rip! If I want MOAR POWAH! I might swap in the Kyosho.
I also need to find out if the Kyosho motor is worth much of anything, because if it is, I can sell it to have parts money for this thing and maybe even my kart.
I'm mostly waiting for my RC10Talk forum account to be activated, then they can tell me more.
I plan to pull the motor here in a moment to find out what's powering this thing.

Anyone know anything about it that I haven't said?
Attached Thumbnails
20191019_192852.jpg   20191019_192902.jpg  

20191019_192950.jpg   20191019_193041.jpg  

Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Sweet man! I’ve been in the rc hobby for a few years now and have ran both brushless and brushed. Before even installing the motor I would pull it apart and clean the brushes if needed or replace them. And then break in the motor again. As for the battery with a vintage car like that I would recomend using a NiMH batter instead of the modern lipos. If you were to use a lipo I would get a modern ESC and receiver/radio set. Just so nothing gets fried

As for the shocks:
Tear them down and replace the seals as they are probably cracked in some place because age and thin material, replace the oil with new oil

You want to replace the body? Check to make sure the body is not brittle from age, you can get so many new ones for cheap

In general go over all the plastic parts and also TEAR DOWN WHAT YOU CAN, especially electronics, you never know if a bit of moisture got into the esc, motor, or servo and could have caused corrosion.

Best of luck if you need quick help feel free to pm me!!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Man, back when you could buy R/Cs as kits and have fun with it. Now there's very few kits and it's now all RTR (ready to run/race). I can't remember because I don't run AE, (I run Traxxas), but I think some of the newer RC10 parts may swap over to this older one. I think they are on RC10.4 or something like that.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 PM

Yeah, this was the kit, built by my dad and grandpa, so it's pretty cool I can keep the flag wavin'!
I don't have any interest in the modern RTR cars, they're just fast RC cars from the factory.
This on the other hand, has history, was built by hand(by family!), is a race worthy machine, and is just way cool with the whole vintage thing going on!
The body is fine, I'll keep it, just repaint it.

Just a few minutes ago I lubed up the entire suspension with some WD-40, so it's a lot smoother now, and I cleaned it up a bit.
I pulled the motor and confirmed it's just the stock motor(which just makes me more inclined to Kyosho swap it), so I plan to stick a battery in it to see how I like it, then go from there.
I'm not going to do a full teardown right now, since I'm not real confident in having a bajillion itty bitty plastic parts to keep track of, plus the chance they'll break.
I'll probably do the shocks as the first running gear maintenance, but the first thing on my list is to get a NiMH battery and charger to get it driving first.
It'll be a fun car to rip around the yard in, and maybe find some vintage RC racing!
The neighbors can't protest against this one....
If I put in the Kyosho, I'll probably run the minimum 6V, since the Kyosho manual says it may have a short life at higher voltage, as it IS a dedicated racing motor. But I might eventually acquire an 8.4V pack for some short term speed.
I just noticed on the Kyosho box that it's a dual bearing motor!! Cool!

How big is the vintage RC racing group? I see some stuff on the web, but I wanna know from some people who know more than I do.
Any good web links for resources?
Anyone know anything about the Kyosho motor spec-wise(or opinion-wise)?
The box for the Kyosho says 0.65mm with 27 turns in the motor. What does that mean for performance and life? Torque? High RPM? Long life? Short life?

PS - If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, I don't always. I just have ham radio experience and use DuckDuckGo a lot.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Man, back when you could buy R/Cs as kits and have fun with it. Now there's very few kits and it's now all RTR (ready to run/race). I can't remember because I don't run AE, (I run Traxxas), but I think some of the newer RC10 parts may swap over to this older one. I think they are on RC10.4 or something like that.
Actually there are still many kits, this vintage car he has was one that was used to race, today there are a few categories of rc cars.
1- monster trucks- usually pre built for consumer recreation
2- crawlers: which can come pre built for recreation or kits for use in competition
3- buggies/truggies these are almost always In a kit form they are used to race, they are so customizable the companies donít bother to assemble because thatís not what the buyer wants, they make it their own and fit best to their needs

Competitive cars are kits
While recreational cars are usually ready to run in order to appeal to the customer.

So as you can see there are still kits available and plentiful but yíall are just looking through the public eye, the stuff made to stand out to energetic people, which builds the company revenue, little did yíall know there were multiple rc worlds.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:02 PM

I looked at 2 hobby shops here in town and only found a couple crawler kits. AE use to sell quite a few kits back when I got into the hobby 12 years ago. Tower hobbies had quite a few. Kyosho only just re-releases the same kit over and over again that they offered 30 years ago.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I'm more inclined toward the domestic AE stuff anyway. But that won't stop me from installing the Kyosho racing motor!
I joined the guys over at https://www.rc10talk.com/index.php and posted on there, been getting some good feedback. I'm also JTSpeedDemon on there.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Wow, so confusing.
That is the STRANGEST THING!!
So I installed the battery, turned it all on AND:
No response.
The little guage on the transmitter wasn't moving at all.
Is my transmitter dead? Or is my receiver dead or what?
I checked the fuse, it looks ok, if a little dirty on the terminals. I'll swap it out.
The strangest thing of all is that when I wiggled the battery connection just the right way, the motor would jolt for a split second and try to take off, and the steering servo would twitch.
HELP!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 06:43 PM

I would check the batteries in the controller and replace as necessary. With my Slash 4x4, I have to turn the controller on first and then the ESC so it'll go. The steering servo twitching, it could be worn out possibly or could be radio interference. Do you know what the frequency crystal is on the RC and the remote? Obviously they need to be the same, otherwise it won't work. If you running the older like ~27Mhz stuff, see if you can upgrade the ESC and controller to the newer 2.4Ghz. Expensive, however less chances of radio interference.
JTSpeedDemon (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:49 PM

I fixed it.
The guys at RC10Talk told me I had actually only installed half the batteries, so I pulled out the whole pack and put the rest in.
I turned it all on, and this thing is WAY FAST!!
It was doing donuts on the wet driveway!
It doesn't really want to turn left, but my dad says I just need to adjust the servo.
When I brought it all back in, I managed to drop the controller.
I was really worried, since the power meter wasn't responding, but I put it all back together, and miraculously, it still works!
Just minus the meter.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Oh yeah, video coming soon.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Figured out the steering issue.
That little screw poking up through the floorpan near the servo was protruding slightly, keeping the steering arm from going back very far, thus hampering it's left turn radius.
So, I just backed it out a bit... and let it rip!
I wouldn't be surprised if this thing goes somewhere like 15-20 mph, and I have to be careful not to drift it a lot, since I don't want to ruin the original wheels/tires or risk flipping it.
Attached Thumbnails
20191026_084118.jpg  
Old 10-28-2019, 02:23 PM

nice Hot Trick steering linkage kit!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to unixphreak For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Yup. It's got the Hot Trick front shock towers as well, as well as an afternarket servo.
Handles real well!
It can drift, but that's mostly because of rhe kinda hard braking factor right now. I'm probably going to soften that up a bit to make it easier on the tires.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Woot! Found out that the Indy RC World track isn't too far from me! A world class circuit and oval track facility with a "Run what ya brung" class!
I'm gonna have to get my dad to haul me over there! I've already got a suspension setup guide....
Old 10-30-2019, 07:30 PM

Wait your worried about flipping it and scratching the body or whatever you said a few posts ago? But you want to take it to a track and race?? It’s a vintage and your going to race it but done want to break it?? Do you know how many times your bound to flip it and scratch it and whatnot just by going on a rc track? You haven’t thought this through
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 PM

I didn't say it would race with the original wheels and body....
Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 PM

Neverthe less it’s still going to be rough for a vintage car. Be ready to replace parts, both metal and plastic just a heads up bro
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Got beater wheels and tires on the way! Just need a basher body and it'll be ready to race!
Sometime this month my dad's going to take me all the way over to Indy RC World in Garland to do some racing, looking forward to it!
Old 11-01-2019, 11:02 PM

Buddy buddy buddy, wheels and tires take the least damage, the suspension components take the most and with newish drivers so will the body, Iím saying you are going to want to get extra suspension parts.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Oops.
I didn't think to ask the seller the dimensions of the front wheels and tires. They're WAY bigger than the originals and bigger than the rears! The pic kinda sums it up. I might be able to transfer the bushings(same bore), and drop the front end all the way to make it level, but it'll still look way goofy. Back to Ebay!
The guys at RC10Talk are suggesting they're actually for the RC10T truck version, which is very plausible.
The description did say it was for a J82 conversion, didn't think anything of it at the time, but it was evidently important!
I'll still leave positive feedback since it's my fault, but now I know! ASK BEFORE YOU BUY!
There's two listing on Ebay with definitely suitable front wheels and tires, I'll try to get those.
The rears fit great! Can't wait to thrash 'em!
Attached Thumbnails
20191104_175128.jpg