Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Default getting onto a track with homebuilt kart

recently finished building a kart (from the plans on kartfab.com), and my son has been bitten by "the bug." we've been running the cart in a local dirt parking lot after hours, but he wants to get onto some pavement. There's nothing legal in my immediate vicinity, I was thinking of trying to get him onto a track somewhere..

I'm familiar with offroad racing/trackday racing for full size cars, and the stringent rules required to get onto a track, I'm assuming similar sanctioning bodies exist for gokarts We're not doing any kind of competitive racing yet, more interesting in something like HPDE equipvalent for gokarts, if that exists.

would appreciate tips from anyone with experience .. I'm kind of assuming the kart we built likely won't be allowed on a track, but if it's something he's really into I'm willing to build something that is compliant...
Old 10-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

I've gone down this alleyway before, and it's mostly fruitless.
I've contacted NTK (North Texas Karters) to see if they had some sort of track day thing or whatnot where I could take my yard kart for a spin, but the kart must pass tech inspection, and mine would never pass. For one, it's obviously a yard kart, and on top of it, the steering, brakes, and tires are very sketchy.
I call these tracks that are loaded with rules "aristocratic", as they ONLY allow race karts.
Your best chance is to track down and buy a race kart, fix it up, and then take it on a track.

You COULD, however, find a parking lot you have permission to use(my bishop is ok with me using the church building parking lot for my kart exploits), and you could take a bunch of cones and do a DIY track day.

I would love to find a big 'ol field to rip up, but that's not happening in the city.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 PM

pretty much where I landed. trying to find a place on the weekend that's closed that wouldn't mind me setting up a few cones ...