Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Winchmaster 5000

Default Gate latch/lock suggestions

Alright, I absolutely love the sense of security locking my driveway gives me now that 100% of the lot is fenced it, that coupled with the dogs free to roam the whole thing of course.

I know someone could still get in but like my dad always said, it's easier for them to break in somewhere else and thieves are lazy.

Someday (hopefully soon) we'll pour a concrete footer, install a track and automatic opener which will serve as the lock. For now I'm using chain and padlock which is a small pita as we have to block the narrow easement temporarily when coming home, getting out of vehicle, unlock, open gate.

I have an idea for a better lock, was hoping for other opinions. In the image below I'm thinking of a hinged latch that would be permanently attached to one of the gates. The true hinges are the "X" pivot points while the "Y" pivot points make each latch move in unison. I plan to have 3 total, one at the top and bottom for stabilizing the gates and one between them for the lock mechanism. Yes there will be some geometry issues to work out and the idea is that when you open the latch, it can go 180 degrees and out of the way/ out of the open span of the gates.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7229.jpg   IMG_7228.jpg  

IMG_7088.jpg   IMG_7092.jpg  

IMG_7093.jpg  
Old 12-30-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,464 Posts

Thats cool.... Maybe a few more linkages with bars, down the length of the tube and couple with something like what I found on the web, as an idea...

Looking up on gate latches there seems to be a whole host of commercial easy to copy(buy if you want, but really.. easy enough to copy and build yourself) or someones build that can easy to replicate....
Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Winchmaster 5000

so yeah, that would look similar to the top latch I have in mind, then a linkage bar to control 2 others