Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Best rear wheel tire replacement for yerf dog 3002?

I have a yerf dog 3002 that had a bent wheel from being flipped. We finally have the wheel off and need to get a replacement. The wheel in the other side is fine, but the tire is in rough shape and I'm guessing that it'll be easier to just get two new wheels/tires instead of trying to match the remaining one, correct? (although I'm not looking forward to getting another rusted wheel off). The old wheel style and tire is pictured below. It says "18 x 9.5 - 8 tubeless" on it. Judging the rust level on it I'm assuming that it was the original wheel. The axle looks like it's 1 inch. What is my best option for wheels/tires with a 6.5 engine and the original clutch/gears? I'm not looking to make this thing faster or anything - I just want to get it running again for my kids. We use it in the fields and on some dirt roads - it's never on pavement.
One of the tie rods is bent badly if anyone has advice on that (whether to just bend it back, buy a stock replacement or upgrade it to something sturdier).
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190909_172900785.jpg  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,090 Posts

There's nothing wrong with just replacing one bad tire with one that matches the size. These aren't critical machines like the space shuttle or even automobiles where we typically replace everything in pairs or fours (new brakes on all 4 wheels, etc).

I'm definitely of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" group. Show us more pics of the damage (tie rod) and the types of wheels it has.

Tie rod could be straightened and the rusty wheels could be painted, just depends on condition and the extent of the damage or decay.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
There's nothing wrong with just replacing one bad tire with one that matches the size. These aren't critical machines like the space shuttle or even automobiles where we typically replace everything in pairs or fours (new brakes on all 4 wheels, etc).

I'm definitely of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" group. Show us more pics of the damage (tie rod) and the types of wheels it has.

Tie rod could be straightened and the rusty wheels could be painted, just depends on condition and the extent of the damage or decay.
Thanks Hellion. I straightened out the tie rods this weekend, so I think I'm good on that front.

However, we also found that the other rear wheel was bent badly - so now we need to replace both rear wheels. So now I'm looking for two wheels that will fit on a 1" live axle. The original wheels were 8" with 19" tires, but since we're replacing both now we could go with something else if they cost less (as long as they fit on a 1" live axle).
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Look up what you need at www.gopowersports.com or www.ombwarehouse.com