Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Default Wheel Nut - Socket Size?

May be changing out this tire on this Klipper Path Winder kart I'm working on for a friend. Largest socket I have is a 1 1/16", and its still too small for this. Without having to go to the store to buy multiple large sockets, does anyone have any idea what this could be? This is the drive wheel for this kart that has no live axle.

Pipe wrench can't get in there either.
Attached Thumbnails
Live Wheel.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

Use a large crescent wrench, size it using that.... tape the jaw so it wont adjust...
Go find a socket that fits..

A caliper works aswell... albeit if it can also fit in there..

Edit: Just unbolt the 4 bolts ofg the wheel... Then take off the hub using a crescent wrench...
Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Thanks McKutzy! Got it! Now............is there something wrong with the passenger side hub? See video below. It definitely has a wobble to it. Wanted to see what was going on after I took the tire off.

Hub Wobble
Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM

McKutzy,

I did some more investigating and the hub bearings were definitely shot! Not sure if its cheaper to buy bearings and put in or just buy a new hub. I'll research. I measured and the bolts appear to be about 2 - 1/2" spacing. All the hubs I'm seeing online have a keyway, this one has none.

Should I bother trying to get the driven hub off and replace those bearings as well? I didn't notice a wobble, but hard to tell since the chain is on it and doesn't move freely.

Also, should I bother replacing those very inner bearings that I've pointed out in the pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Hub.jpg   Hub2.jpg  

Hub3.jpg   Hub4.jpg  

Hub5.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Well thats seriously weird... A live axle with a bearing'ed hub... Why?
If this is live axle setup there should be no bearings on that hub...
Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Would this be considered a live axle then? Maybe I’m getting confused on the terminology...I’m just fixing this up for my sons friend. I’m only about 2 weeks getting into this hobby...at least for go karts (not small engine repair). I just ordered some 3/4” bearings to replace those because they were obviously shot.

Anything else I should be concerned with at least for safety reasons? Really just want to fix this up so it’s safe. There about $130 into it already for materials.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 PM

Live axle is that both rear tires are driven at the same time, on a common axle.
What you have there is a one wheel peel... But it's driving the opposite wheel, via the axle..
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,090 Posts

Seems like we have seen something like this before; a kart that has a live axle but can either be set up for one wheel drive (bearing'd hubs on each side) or two wheel drive.

I think it was a way for the kart manufacturer to economize using one chassis design but with
several configurations.

Those bearings are shot; two or more have catastrophic damage and no longer have an inner race.