Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Hi All!

Glad I found you! I'm 67 going on 27. At least in my mind. The body might tell a different story. Im married and live on the beautiful central coast of California in a sleepy little town called Santa Maria. It's about an hour north of Santa Barbara and half an hour south of San Luis Obispo. Retired Quality Engineer from the medical related field back in 2011 and moved up here from Orange County to be closer to my daughter and the grandkids. I've been into motorcycles all my life and currently own a 2002 HD Roadking.
I recently (about a month ago) purchased a Colman CT200U-EX and after the first ride, knew that changes had to be made. 19mph top speed? Really? The neighbors dog was outrunning me! I was so disappointed. But I'm over it now. I knew about this little weed wacker other than it would be great to take camping or find somewhere where I could ride without being harassed.
Thanks to the miracle of YouTube I've removed the governor, added a genuine Mikuni VM22-133, Exhaust header, and 18lb springs. That's the extent of where I'm at presently. Oh, my son is coming to visit from AZ next month and bringing me a Predator 212 Hemi. They can't be had here in Cali. (EPA Regs.) I'm on the fence about spending any more money on the current motor, billet this and billet that and more inclined to wait to get the Predator and wasting money on that one.
What I want to do to the motor FAR exceeds my knowledge to accomplish same, but I'm a fast learner and not shy about asking questions. I have a TON already. I feel I will glean a TON of answers here as well. Right now I'm reading up on how to set up that Mikuni. Learning about jetting and feeling a little uncertain about it. But there's a lot of good info out there and I've got the time. The post I read on here about how to set valve lash has already proved invaluable, so I know I'm in the right place.
So bear with me. I WILL require a bit of hand holding. Yes, you will shake your head and ask "Is this guy REALLY asking me that?" But please remember, everyone had to start somewhere.
Well, I know it was long winded, but that's my story. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,090 Posts

..to the forum.

Sounds like you have a solid background, at least in internal combustion engine knowledge...then again, how much wrenching do you (or can you) do on your modern motorcycle? Kind of a scary thing to contemplate when everything is electronic this, computerized that.

Small engines are great, you can take them down to pieces and put them back together in minutes.

Ask questions but also use the forum search as pretty much every question you can think of has already been asked 100x over.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 AM

Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,803 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!! You will learn a lot here.

And remember...no question is a stupid question!!!

Unless its a stupid question
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Hellion (08-16-2019)