Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Default TAV2 30series 7" driven clutch&6"driven clutch&3/4"driver clutch

TAV2 30series 7" driven clutch&6"driven clutch&3/4"driver clutch

Zhejiang Hot Go Kart Part.,Ltd

www.hotgokartpart.com
Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Folks, I know I just put this in another thread, but I want the OP to read this....

That is definately a knockoff. The seller has been on this forum. Not that I really have a problem with Chinese knockoffs other than to say "Caveat Emptor", or Buyer Beware. For Robbie to suggest that they make an exact copy is not a true statement. Without getting in to a whole clone-bashing thing again, Chinese copies are not, and cannot be exact duplicates of the product being imitated. Mark my words, the quality is not there. Now, that's not to say it won't work- I'm sure it will. But from metallurgy and specs, to assembly, to quality control, they are simply not equal to the original. Hence my buyer beware statement. If you can get a really good price, go for it. But be cognizant of the fact that it's not a Comet, or Honda or whoever's product has been cloned. You will likely not see a comparable reliability, nor warranty, nor service...
So- look at the price tag and decide if it's worth it. Obviously with Comet being a greasy memory, we are likely to buy these things. Hope for the best, but expect much less...

EDIT- I looked over the ad again- It states all over the place that they're Comet parts. Maybe, I guess... But I know good and well that this guy flogs clones, too. Better hope these are Comet parts, or he's up the creek for false advertising... And my above statements still stand.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM

This site likes to spam.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Measure twice cut once

says they got max torque and other brand stuff too
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Kyou wa moto isogashii desu ne. Chuugoku no kuracchi desu ne.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM

In the quiet words of the virgin Mary, come again?

~Brick Top (Snatch)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM

What's up guys. This is my first post on here.

I'm getting my Yerf going again and I bought one of these Chinese t/c's. I took it out of the box today and man....you can so tell its a cheap copy. There was no belt and I'm not sure yet but I think I might be short a couple washers.

I'll let you guys know if its actually worth anything when I get it on the bike.

I hate paying for cheap foreign knockoffs but I'm so broke lately.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Measure twice cut once

here is a diagram of the parts you should have to use your tc,
http://www.mfgsupply.com/img/comet/tav2parts.gif

instilation instructions,
http://gtcmanufacturing.com/tc2installation.pdf

tell us how well it works
Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM

I hope you don't think I'm trying to defend the spammer who claims to be selling Comet parts. It should be obvious to anybody who knows which way is up that he isn't selling real comet parts.

I figure just about everybody knows that most new products are made in China nowadays. In the case of Honda, it's a fact that at least some of the Honda engine clones are made in the same factory that made them for Honda. But in the case of "Comet" torque converters, they are obviously copies.

It wasn't necessarily accurate for me to use the phrase "exact copy". What I was referring to is the way that the Chinese factories get tooled up for production. In a lot of cases they take a successful product, measure every dimension, and make their product work exactly the same as the one designed by innovative engineers. I've seen it with a lot of other products, where a lot of parts are interchangeable with the ones from the product that was copied. I've even seen Chinese knockoff products with the same casting marks, as if the factory had obtained the very same molds that the original products came in. Or maybe they made a new mold from the old product.

Who can say whether the torque converter is worth buying? The only way to know is to try one. As for the spammer, what he's doing is simply bad etiquette. He didn't even post in the "sale and trade" category. But that's not going to stop him.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks r97 for the links. I should've just ordered that GTC t/c that you posted the instructions for. I saw it on gokartsusa and it looks like a quality product but I already spend my money on this Chinese joke. Anybody running the GTC? How is it?

Maybe the instructions will help me get this thing on right, because right now its not working out. Ive been at it for a couple hours and I can't get this thing on! I mean if they copied Comet this thing should be plug and play right? There was an old Comet on my bike before so I really don't see why this thing isn't bolting up.

Only thing I can think of is that they just didn't make a good copy. Everything we buy is from China nowadays and most of it works or else we wouldn't keep buying it. This product seems to fall into the other Chinese category along with the lead paint and poisoned dog food.

I almost want to send it back to Shanghai but my male fix it mind is fighting me. I think its more about ego than results at this point but I don't think this t/c is going to work right.

I'm still fighting so I'll let you guys know how it runs if I ever get it installed.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the review. I happen to have a genuine Comet 30 in a box, including the belt. It would be really interesting to compare them side by side and see how close they got.

One of my favorite examples of Chinese copycat engineering is the 200 dollar saxophone. I got hold of one of these about 5 years ago and I was amazed at what a piece of crap it was. The holes were not in exactly the right place, so the pitch intervals were not correct. Somebody had to go to all the trouble of adjusting the levers and keys so it would work correctly, which it did, the only problem being that the notes were all slightly flat or sharp.

That just seems weird to me. If you're going to all the trouble of setting up a factory to punch holes in a tube, make it shiny and put all the linkage on, why wouldn't you make sure the holes are the right size and in the right place? I happen to know how to adjust saxophone linkage (used to do it at a music store) so I know how much work they put into that thing after it was assembled. The question is why bother doing all that work when the tube isn't built right in the first place?

Realistically, they probably have that problem straightened out by now. Some of the high end instrument makers probably are having their saxophones made in the same Chinese factory right now.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Measure twice cut once

i have a gtc tc2, but i haven't given it more than 2hrs or so yet because i'm still perfecting my kart. but so far so good. what exactly isn't bolting on correctly?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 AM

Mine did not bolt on correctly, but from what I've learned on this forum; it was just because of my ignorance and my specific application. The GTC is a good product, but as I've said before, they over-rated what it can do. I attest that it is only good for 8hp, not the 13hp that they claim. The only way to make it hold up to a higher hp motor is to gear the thing very low -- but then that is kind of a waste to have the stronger motor, isn't it? It is a good product, though, and is much superior to a centrifugal clutch.

I had to fill the factory holes and drill new ones to make it fit on my kart with the engine upgrade. I still haven't gotten the gearing exactly right, but have the parts to do it (I think...). Azusa 8 tooth front sprocket yet to be installed to replace the 9 tooth.
Attached Thumbnails
P6100001 (2).jpg   P6100004 (2).jpg  

Old 11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Measure twice cut once

@metal,
you gonna get the gtc 40 when it comes out? or try and hunt down a comet 40?

so far the gtc has turned my already torquey subie into a torque monster, starting on a hill(then continuing up it) it reaches 25-30 in no time. one thing though is that it gets a bit toasty, this common of tc's?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I'm searching for a 40. I'll probably end up with the GTC.

My GTC 30 gets toasty even with the lower gearing, but not nearly as toasty as it was getting with the higher gearing. Still have the 8 tooth front to replace the 9 tooth waiting to be installed. Funny, my Comet 30 never gets toasty...(It is on a much lighter kart with perfect gearing, though).
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Kart Aficionado

Metal, we've got some 40's in the shop if you're interested in ordering bro.

I say this just because I know now that you're looking and we have 2 sets left.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 PM

how many times has this OP been blocked? lol.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Default Discount for TAV2 30 series Driver&Driven clutch &Comet torque converter

Dear Sir

Discount for TAV2 30 series Driver&Driven clutch For Christmas ,Total cost 80$/Pair(With DHL sendding cost).Min order 6 Pair! 1pair menas 1pcs drive clutch&1pcs driven clutch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comet...QptZGoQ5fKarts

Thanks Advance!

Zhejiang Hot Go Kart Part .,ltd

www.hotgokartpart.com
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Hahaha buy 6 TC's for Christmas for $80 each plus shopping to the US. Then you need a backplate and belt. I have better ways to spend that much money, say, on a COMET torque converter. Our two for that matter. How about a run down oddy that will fix up nicely. Or a snowmobile with a CVT.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Discount for TAV2 30 series Driver&Driven clutch &Comet torque converter

The 80$/pair is 1pair clutch cost and the DHL sendding cost.Not just the sendding cost.

If you need jackshaft and plate &cover&Driver&Driven clutch,
110$/set (is 1set goods cost and dhl sendding cost),Min order :6set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMET...QptZGoQ5fKarts

This is best price

Thanks and best regards