Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 AM

Default predator 420 lighting coil

Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

Run the lights off the battery. A 420 predator has a charging coil for the battery, so the easiest thing to do would be to run the lights with a switch off the battery.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
Run the lights off the battery. A 420 predator has a charging coil for the battery, so the easiest thing to do would be to run the lights with a switch off the battery.
Not a bad idea. But I read that it only puts out a max of 3amps and I think I could drain the battery faster than the thing would keep up. Has anyone ever ran lights off the 420 predator before? What did you do?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Just use leds

Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM

LEDs that use minimal amp draws. Most should be in the hundreds of milliamps
Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM

The stator/charge coil on the 420 is about 3amps. So make sure the lights are 3amps or less on draw.
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html
Its 12 volts. Just put in the wattage of the lights and you got amp draw.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
LEDs that use minimal amp draws. Most should be in the hundreds of milliamps
I'm way over budget on this build as is and want to utilize the lights that came with it thing. Not to mention I just painted and clear coated the thing and don't really want to do any modifications to the frame. The engine on the other hand, I'll happily modify. Don't they sell a lighting coil for this engine? Has anyone ever used one? How about an alternator?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:33 PM

The coil should be on the engine already stock from the factory. It should be about 3amps. Not sure what other existing ones could fit on there. Anything more than 6amps I think needs a different flywheel. Not sure if it's possible to order an 18amp one from a Honda GX390 with a flywheel and install it.

A car alternator/generator can work, but it would have to be hooked up to the axle with a pulley, or on a jackshaft. A GM AC Delco 10si is quite popular as is the 3 wire 12si.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
The coil should be on the engine already stock from the factory. It should be about 3amps. Not sure what other existing ones could fit on there. Anything more than 6amps I think needs a different flywheel. Not sure if it's possible to order an 18amp one from a Honda GX390 with a flywheel and install it.

A car alternator/generator can work, but it would have to be hooked up to the axle with a pulley, or on a jackshaft. A GM AC Delco 10si is quite popular as is the 3 wire 12si.
ok. If we keep this post open for a while, when I eventually get some other issued sorted out I'll come back to this and give everyone an update. This thing will eventually be my kiddos kart, and it's legal to make these street legal but that means head lights, horn, signals and break lights. Most of these were on it before but with the new 420 engine all the electronics are gone. Unless I can salvage the electronics in some way or form?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 AM

If I recall what was mentioned a couple weeks back, threads will stay open until about 3 months of inactivity, before its locked. If it does get locked (from inactivity), just message itsid, landuse, or any other moderator or even the forum admin robertdjung and they'll unlock it for you.

What electronics are missing exactly from the engine or kart?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanked 3,310 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote:
If I recall what was mentioned a couple weeks back, threads will stay open until about 3 months of inactivity, before its locked. If it does get locked (from inactivity), just message itsid, landuse, or any other moderator or even the forum admin robertdjung and they'll unlock it for you.

Correct! I think it is six months though (cannot remember with this "just woke up" brain). We will just open it again if you ask
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Kartorbust (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Really, I just want to utilize the original head lights and brake lights. It gets hot here in the desert so we do a lot of night riding when things cool off so maybe a cheap light bar down the road. But for sure, the brake lights, tail lights and headlights are priority.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM

You might be cutting it close with running all the lights. It might be a combined total of about 5 or 6 amps with the tail light and head lights on, but you should be able to get enough run time with the stator and battery to make it worth your time. May need to hook up a Volt meter to your kart to monitor battery voltage. I'm actually waiting to see if and when Greg over at Red Beard's Garage adds a larger stator to a Chinese clone engine, I'm curious to see what can be added on without too many issues.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You might be cutting it close with running all the lights. It might be a combined total of about 5 or 6 amps with the tail light and head lights on, but you should be able to get enough run time with the stator and battery to make it worth your time. May need to hook up a Volt meter to your kart to monitor battery voltage. I'm actually waiting to see if and when Greg over at Red Beard's Garage adds a larger stator to a Chinese clone engine, I'm curious to see what can be added on without too many issues.
yeah, that would be ideal for RBG to show us how to do. These threads can only go so far and do so much. I was wanting to do other things to my ride like a tachometer, and a fuel gauge. Ya know, for learning purposes mostly for when I end up building my dream buggy. Might as well add battery voltage gauge to the list.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:06 PM

I believe Grant (Kartfab) did a write up on how to do an automotive style tach. Otherwise I know that the tachs that also have an hour meter built in, just hook on to the spark plug. It's not very fast to update, but its semi decent.