Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Default New to go karts torque converter question

just bought a Manco Elliminator SS, 6.5 HP Robin Subaru Engine. Wanting to replace the clutch with a torque converter. However, when looking at the sprockets there are two of them and not sure where the converter would sit. see pictures. any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190206_165505.jpg   IMG_20190206_165513.jpg  

Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,699 Posts

You might need to do away with the jackshaft and go with a bigger axle sprocket if you have clearance.

What is the reason for wanting a TC? Is the centrifugal clutch not working correctly? The Manco Elliminator SS came standard with a CC from the factory
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM

You'll need to ditch that jackshaft (as mentioned) and that back plate. You might be able to make it work, but I'm wondering if you'll have the room for the chain to go nearly straight down without rubbing. May need to take some measurements before hand to make sure it'll fit before you buy one.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:28 PM

yes it did come with a cc clutch. i think currently the clutch is bad as it shakes the engine pretty hard on take off. so i wanted to switch to TC for smother take off.
Even if i place a larger axle sprocket, it still wont be flush to the engine to drop the chain evenly from the TC to the sprocket. the chain would be offset. i hope that makes sense.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

I have searched for months for a way to put a larger axle sprocket on my eliminator. To my knowledge there is no 3/4 bore sprocket larger than the original that has a built in brake drum. And just adding a TC to this kart would make it unrealistically fast.

In my opinion it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the centrifugal clutch. A good quality max-torque clutch is $34, while a chinese ebay torque converter is $50+. Not to mention that you would likely need a custom sprocket and possibly a longer axle.

https://www.gopowersports.com/10t-3-...gal-clutch-41/

PS: If you have a machine shop in your area, they might be able to turn an adapter for a larger sprocket, that will work as a brake drum and allow the use of a torque converter.