Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Default GX200 is not fitting on the frame

Hi all!

Recently my friend and I discovered an old go-kart frame in the garage of the house he just bought. We were always intrigued by cars, engines, etc. So we thought, why not build a go-kart with that frame.

Easier said than done as most of you may know.

We were on an impulse buying-streak and we bought a used GX200 engine, clutch and engine mounts. Unfortunately, the engine mounts don't match our frame as you can see in one of the pictures (although the size of the engine mount should be a common size).

The distance between the bars (measured from the middle of the bar) where the engine should be is a just under 13 centimeters.

It appears that we have a special frame with larger distances between the bars where the engine once was (we could not find any frame number or marking that could indicate the type of frame we have, so it might as well be custom made). Apparently, it should be a 2 stroke frame, but we are not 100% sure about that.

The problem is, even if we would have matching engine mounts, we think that the 4 stroke engine is too big to match the frame as you can see in one of the pictures.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/xxAdQ8u

We have several questions now:
  • We did some search, but we could not found engine mounts for our 13 cm distance. Does any of you know if these exist? If not is it recommended to weld a plate on the frame? Or should we drill it on the frame (with bolts etc.)?
  • We can't see how the engine should be mounted as it looks like it is just too big. Possible suggestions would very much be appreciated.
  • Should we choose for an angled mount to make the engine fit?
  • Or should we just go for another engine (2 stroke) that is smaller? Or for another frame where we could mount the GX200?

If you made it till here: thank you very much for your time!
And if you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to drop a comment. It would really help us a lot!

Have a nice day!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

(1)In the interest of durability and less vibrations, I would suggest welding an engine mount on.
(2)I agree that that engine looks too big, given that it's a racing kart frame, it's very probable that it was designed for a 2-stroke.
This is why I'm glad I have more of a yard kart, since racing karts tend to be harder to adapt.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 PM

Thanked 3,409 Times in 2,777 Posts

Those karts were never designed to have normal industrial engines like the GX200. They were designed for 2 stroke engines, bike engines etc etc. You will have to weld on a new engine mount
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 AM

there is no need to weld, this is very simple solution to make, I have it on my now trike, was kart before.

for bottom, flat piece of steel (happy now sid ) and weld to it piece of tube, cut in half
Attached Thumbnails
20181118_160151.jpg  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 AM

You could weld a base plate but the issue remains that the engine is too wide for the kart, resulting in that the clutch is almost against the seat. How would he fix that? Or if it’s fitted to other way around, the clutch will not be in line with the sprocket, how would he go about fixing that issue?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 AM

here how it looks on mine, it is a big offset..

Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 AM

Thanked 4,230 Times in 3,170 Posts

if you weld an engine mount to a race kart chassis,
you made the second worst possible mistake!
(worst would be to cut the chassis to reroute the chain)

race karts like yours are not only designed to take a reasonably small two stroke engine,
they're also designed to be the bare minimum material with the exact right amount of flex.
cutting reduces integrity (and it's pretel up) welding to it will remove flex and it'll handle like garbage in corners.

Yes build your own engine mount if you like..
but follow the engine mount you have (clamp to the side rails, NOT weld to them!)

'sid
Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
if you weld an engine mount to a race kart chassis,
you made the second worst possible mistake!
(worst would be to cut the chassis to reroute the chain)

race karts like yours are not only designed to take a reasonably small two stroke engine,
they're also designed to be the bare minimum material with the exact right amount of flex.
cutting reduces integrity (and it's pretel up) welding to it will remove flex and it'll handle like garbage in corners.

Yes build your own engine mount if you like..
but follow the engine mount you have (clamp to the side rails, NOT weld to them!)

'sid
So you would suggest in using the mounts we have and cut them so that they match our frame?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 12:57 AM

Thanked 4,230 Times in 3,170 Posts

uhm nope

take it as a guide (template if you will) to make your own alike (just matching your needs)
take pics (lots) and send it back

'sid