Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Default Predator Performance question

I've been seeing these hop up kits from NR Racing for the Predator 212 http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/stage1hopup-p.htm . I was wondering what the odds of my engine blowing up would be (with stock internals.) I noticed that it comes with heavier valve spring and wouldnt that let the engine exceed the rpm it takes to throw a rod.

I was just wondering if I could get away with putting this kit on a Predator 212 and not blowing it?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:55 PM

If you dont remove the governor, that kit will be fine and wont throw a rod. Just dont use the springs unless you remove the governor. If you remove the governor, put in a arc billet rod with the heavier springs.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevbo22 For This Useful Post:
TheYamahaKID (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM

If I were to install the heavier valve springs and a billet rod, would I have to worry about blowing apart the flywheel?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 PM

Some say yes, some say no.

My understanding is a flywheel wont grenade unless your pushing some serious rpms. A range where the kit above wont get you without a new cam and such.

The general moto around here I think is:
Is the cost of a $100 billet flywheel worth your safety or the cost of an er visit?

I personally have only put a billet flywheel in one of my ungoverned predators, the others all have billet rods but stock flywheels. Hopefully im not pushing my luck.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 PM

Thanked 4,113 Times in 3,074 Posts

it'S NOT primarily the flywheel you should worry about..

it's the CONROD! it'll likely fail earlier than the flywheel if you install the heavier valve springs (and thus remove the next "rev-limiter" in line)

valve springs are quite frankly a huuge BS in all those kits..

'sid
Old 01-03-2017, 10:33 PM

So if I have a billet con rod in the engine, with the govenor removed and heavier valve springs, but no cam or and other mods.

BUT I should be ok but theres a chance I could get unlucky and something catastrophic could happen, and do you think I should be worried that the flywheel is gonna blow apart if I build an engine like this.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

by the way thanks for all the good responses so far
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 PM
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ

Thanked 3,074 Times in 2,396 Posts

Anything can happen.
But I do not think you need to worry about the Flywheel.
I have been on this site for 3 or 4 years and with the hundreds of members that come and go I have never heard of a fly wheel breaking
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the help
Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,952 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo22 View Post
If you dont remove the governor, that kit will be fine and wont throw a rod. Just dont use the springs unless you remove the govenor.
WHY? Apparently you completely misunderstand the dynamics of what is going on. There is a ton of information here on ALL this. It doesn't bother me that people are ignorant, (we can fix that), but it does bother me when they start posting incorrect information.

While you are correct in stating that installing the kit without removing the govenor, the more important point is this: " If you flush a $100 bill down the toilet, it won't hurt the toilet."

Similarly , heavier valve springs are only a problem IF the govenor has been removed, and it still has the stock rod!

Point being: both are pretty useless upgrades on a governed engine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy kartman View Post

Similarly , heavier valve springs are only a problem IF the govenor has been removed, and it still has the stock rod!
Ill admit that is phrased poorly. If you read the sentence you left out of the quote, it says to use a arc billet rod with the heavier springs. I'll take all the blame, no worries, as I see its phrased to confuse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevbo22 For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-04-2017), Poboy kartman (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
KART ART

Yamaha kid you should be fine with that kit.
If you leave the governor in it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and install the entire kit and you should be fin.
I'd dare to go as far as go ahead and install the nr racing stage 1/2 kit and leave the governor in place but adjust your governor to 5k rpm. That will get you to just under the rpm where the stock springs would float and well into the safe area of rpm for a stock rod and flywheel.

Wait and order you a rod after a while and then remove the governor when you install the rod and you should be good. The 18lb springs for the hemi will float around 6700 rpm +- 100 rpm etc.

If you need help on adjusting your governor give me a shout or reference this entirely too wordy and lengthy video I made on that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outcrydrummer For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-05-2017), Randy H (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM

Hey thanks for the help very appreciated!!!!

---------- Post added 01-05-2017 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-04-2017 at 11:57 PM ----------

What I plan on doing is pulling out the govenor and installing the kit except the heavier valve springs that come with it. Set the valve springs to the side see if I like how it performs than I won't touch it.If I feel like I need more RPM get a billet rod and then install the performance valve spring.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 PM
KART ART

Yamahakid sounds like a solid plan. As with anything else you will be satisfied with the power over stock for a bit then want more lol.

Luckily the availability of parts and information allows you to easily make a 7-8k rpm engine for not much money and not much effort. The more rpm you can turn the more you can gear for acceleration and let the added rpm range take care of the top speed for ya.
Like most other engine applications you won't be seeing the top end of the rpm range as much as you will the rest of it. Don't get obsessed with how many rpm you can turn but try and build something to make the most power in the rpm range you most often ride at.

It's cool to run 60 mph on a kart but its much cooler to get there twice as quick as your buddies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outcrydrummer For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-05-2017), Randy H (01-05-2017), Rip (01-06-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:39 PM

everybodys obsessed with peak horsepower numbers but its kind of useless if you never use em.

Thanks for all the help I couldn't agree anymore.

Now the next question is how to spray a 25 shot of nitrous.

MuuuHAHAHAA!!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,952 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrydrummer View Post
Yamaha kid you should be fine with that kit.
If you leave the governor in it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and install the entire kit and you should be fin.
I'd dare to go as far as go ahead and install the nr racing stage 1/2 kit and leave the governor in place but adjust your governor to 5k rpm. That will get you to just under the rpm where the stock springs would float and well into the safe area of rpm for a stock rod and flywheel.

Wait and order you a rod after a while and then remove the governor when you install the rod and you should be good. The 18lb springs for the hemi will float around 6700 rpm +- 100 rpm etc.

If you need help on adjusting your governor give me a shout or reference this entirely too wordy and lengthy video I made on that

Quite possibly the ABSOLUTE WORST advice I've come across since I've joined this forum!!!!!

ADJUST THE GOVERNOR TO 5K?????

GREAT IDEA! Nothing more fun than grenading an engine. You don't have to know much or search much here before you can see what a BAD idea that is!

In the future, please post advice you know a little about.

EDIT: Possibly not! (I may have been way off base on this one, see post# 87, as well.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
OzFab (01-08-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Good post and video outcrydrummer.
It is apparent that you know what you're talking about.
The fact that you and others have done it, in racing, should be evidence that is an entirely feasible plan.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM
KART ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy kartman View Post
Quite possibly the ABSOLUTE WORST advice I've come across since I've joined this forum!!!!!

ADJUST THE GOVERNOR TO 5K?????

GREAT IDEA! Nothing more fun than grenading an engine. You don't have to know much or search much here before you can see what a BAD idea that is!

In the future, please post advice you know a little about.
Poboy why is that bad advice????
Thousands of kart racers are using that exact setup for kart racing every weekend running 4800 to 5k rpm with that exact setup without issue.

Maybe you should do a little research before you cast stones.I have run predators in that configuration for years kart racing. What real world experience do you have with my setup information?

You just like to stir the pot on here instead of offering up valid useful information to people. Troll elsewhere sir.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
Good post and video outcrydrummer.
It is apparent that you know what you're talking about.
The fact that you and others have done it, in racing, should be evidence that is an entirely feasible plan.
Thanks randy. That engine setup is used for predator racing all accross the southeast. They even run 200 lap predator races with thay setup and ive yet to see anyone blow up an engine.
Plus its so simple to do and you dont even have to go in the engine.

I prefer to open up the enginr once. Pull governor, install rod and mod away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outcrydrummer For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-05-2017), Randy H (01-05-2017), Rip (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:29 AM
KART ART

Poboy here is a aet of predator class rules.
If you notice it has to be completely stock and pass a governor test with 5500 rpm max.
We set them up to govern at 5k rpm so we can gear for 4800 or 4900 rpm (peak hp on stock hemi).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170105-122721.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	80476
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 AM

A few people have ran engines with the governor adjusted and it blew apart inside effectively rendering the engine a large paperweight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kartorbust For This Useful Post:
OzFab (01-08-2017), pearl111 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 AM

Governor adjusted or governor disabled?
Closed Thread