Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Default getting the best out my engine?!

So about a week or so ago i posted a thread about getting my engine(Honda GX140) working again. After a couple of days searching around on Ebay and gumtree ive realised i cant really afford a brand spanking new engine! So im wondering what i can do to get the very best out of my current engine. Now im not expecting to be tearing up the streets like Michael Schumacer, but i want to get the engine to a fairly decent standard, so i come to you asking, what can i do?

So far ive worked out :
- Get a new gasket set.
- Change the oil.
- Clean the carb in Lemon juice. (Who every discovered that? why would they have put a carb in lemon juice? lol)

I already have a new spark plug for it...anything else im missing?

Also ive seen video on the net of people with actual car air filters on their karts, how is this done?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,676 Posts

So, it's running ok, you just want to get a bit more out of it right? Start with a hi flow air filter & exhaust
Old 09-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Where might I find these? Also what exactly is it going to do to the engine?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 AM

The key to making any engine work most efficiently is to let it breathe. A high flow filter & exhaust will do just that. They won't harm the engine in any way, they will help it.

Rejetting your carb will also help...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Yeah sorry about the really noobie question I just googled and did a bit of research, the only question I have is where would be the best place to get hold of a decent exhaust? At the moment I have just the basic stock exhaust on there, just not a whole lot sure what would be the best exhaust to buy or where to get it from

Also...rejecting? Please expand on this lol what is it? How is it done? All I've done to the carb is take it off and shoot a load of carb cleaner in to it and out it back on.....
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidshot View Post
Yeah sorry about the really noobie question I just googled and did a bit of research, the only question I have is where would be the best place to get hold of a decent exhaust? At the moment I have just the basic stock exhaust on there, just not a whole lot sure what would be the best exhaust to buy or where to get it from
You could make your own (that's what most of us do) A simple straight pipe wil do the job but it will be louder.

R-chez just made a muffler; have a look at post #20 in this thread

Quote:
Also...rejecting? Please expand on this lol what is it?
Not rejecting, rejetting It means to increase the internal bore of the main jet either by drilling out the existing jet or replacing it with a larger one. What this does is increase the amount of fuel fed into the engine &, therefore, increasing power.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Sorry was at work on my phone poxy auto correct....Ahhh I checked it out seems pretty easy, I just dont have a welder so I'll just have to get a pipe and heat n bend it the old way lol

I'll have to research how to rejet it, what tools are going to involve?
Swear to god I must be the only man alive without a welder!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,692 Posts

Rejetting using replacement jets requires very little by way of tools. You'll need a 10mm socket or wrench to get the float bowl off, A small (3/16"-ish) flathead screwdriver to get the jet out, and a spark plug socket to check your progress. Drilling your own jets would involve the above, plus a pin vise and a selection of precision, numbered drill bits.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
Solidshot (09-15-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Rejetting using replacement jets requires very little by way of tools. You'll need a 10mm socket or wrench to get the float bowl off, A small (3/16"-ish) flathead screwdriver to get the jet out, and a spark plug socket to check your progress. Drilling your own jets would involve the above, plus a pin vise and a selection of precision, numbered drill bits.
If im honest that all sounds really complicated, I'm not all that mechanically minded! Sounds like a stupid thing for me to be doing considering but I'm trying to learn
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM

It's not hard at all, I promise! Give yourself some credit (and a chance)! Last night after work, I taught my 12-year-old to do it...
Solidshot (09-15-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
It's not hard at all, I promise! Give yourself some credit (and a chance)! Last night after work, I taught my 12-year-old to do it...

Hows that? Is that a fairly good description on how it should be done? Granted its not the same engine, but is that something along the lines of how its done?

Also the 132 little screw he talks about, where do you get them? do you have to ship them in?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Hows that? Is that a fairly good description on how it should be done? Granted its not the same engine, but is that something along the lines of how its done?
That's pretty much it. As long as the carb is basically the same, the procedure will be the same.

Quote:
Also the 132 little screw he talks about, where do you get them? do you have to ship them in?
THAT'S THE JET! You can either replace it with a larger one or drill it out. Sorry but, I can't advise on where to buy them from here
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM
...wasn't there

Here are all the parts mentioned...

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5...gory_Code=AFC1

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5...gory_Code=AFC1 (I would recommend around 90)

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5...egory_Code=EX1 (this will be fairly loud, so if that is a problem, they sell mufflers of the website)
Old 09-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Should be in the shop...

Question

There is a really good guide on old mini bikes.com, but I cannot find.it.
Check this.
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/Dri...ain%20Jets.php

You could also get a gx200 or clone carb to.increase performance.
I would get a free flowing filter from eBay for under $10 for a 2 7/16 fitting. You can buy the adapters for about $10 too. Then get the old exhaust and cut the old flange off, or make a new one. Get some tube with an i/d of the same size as the exhaust valve (about 3/4".) Bend it if need be, then take it to someone with a welder and get it welded up.

If you wanted you could also get a milled gx160 head. Pretty sure they have larger valves. You could also remove the governor.
Solidshot (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabroman View Post
That's pretty much it. As long as the carb is basically the same, the procedure will be the same.

THAT'S THE JET! You can either replace it with a larger one or drill it out. Sorry but, I can't advise on where to buy them from here
Its not the same carb, but from ive seen the principle on jetting is pretty much the same. In terms of drilling it out, does it have to be like SPOT ON accurate the size of the drill bit i use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcotz View Post

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5...gory_Code=AFC1 (I would recommend around 90)

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5...egory_Code=EX1 (this will be fairly loud, so if that is a problem, they sell mufflers of the website)
Thanks man! To be honest noise is much of a problem i want it to have a proper rumble to it! Almost as if it was some kind of Harley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_chez_08 View Post
There is a really good guide on old mini bikes.com, but I cannot find.it.
Check this.
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/Dri...ain%20Jets.php

You could also get a gx200 or clone carb to.increase performance.
I would get a free flowing filter from eBay for under $10 for a 2 7/16 fitting. You can buy the adapters for about $10 too. Then get the old exhaust and cut the old flange off, or make a new one. Get some tube with an i/d of the same size as the exhaust valve (about 3/4".) Bend it if need be, then take it to someone with a welder and get it welded up.

If you wanted you could also get a milled gx160 head. Pretty sure they have larger valves. You could also remove the governor.
If im honest you lost me after saying about getting the filter from ebay lol....Im not very engine oreintated, thats why ive got these go karts, to learn a little bit and have some fun Ive thought about removing the governor, but from what ive read and seen online it seems like a pretty risky thing, like it could short the life of the engine and/or risk blowing it up with over revving or something.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Have you read the sticky on it? While you may be best to leave it intact, there's a full explanation there. http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16518
Solidshot (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM

I think after reading that i may leave it on there for a bit, atleast until i have the confidence to take the engine apart and what not.
Id like to be able to take the whole engine apart, clean it PROPERLY, reassemble and put some new oil in it! But im not whole entirely sure i ahve the knowledge or the confidence to do that! Although when it comes to putting the new gaskets on the engine i can see that i might just have to give it a go
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Those are some good decisions you are making! It's always a very good idea to know your limitations and work with them. As far as the engine work goes, be sure to have a service manual for your engine and a torque wrench before proceeding.
Solidshot (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Now thats how ive like my engine to sound! Just got to put a whole ****'a lot of work in to it!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcotz View Post

Also with all this talk about getting a new air filter and what not, does this mean ill have to have a modified carb put on the engine too? all the airfilters ive seen online seem to be on the side of a different carb or something that doesnt look like a stock carb.
Closed Thread