Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Mini mountain bike

ok. i want to use a mountain bike as a " mini mountain bike". i was wondering what would work best? using a chainsaw motor or what. and should i run the chain to the crank? i think i should so i could change gears with the derailor. i was just looking for some feedback. anyone live in minneapolis?

thanks alot

walter
Old 01-12-2007, 08:00 PM

well... i live in australia, lol but a 2 stroke chain saw motor would be alrite, a compact 2 stroke should but nicely in a thin mountain bike frame. you dont want too much power because those thin bike chains would snap quiet easily with a engine rather than leg power. what kind of wheels are you planing on using? the thin bike tyres or are you going to mod. the frame ? lots of thing to think about but when u make a few major decision every thing should fall into place
Old 01-12-2007, 08:36 PM

after putting a bit n=more thought into it, no you wouldnt be able to use a mountain bike gears set up, there just too weak for 1, you wont be able to find a big enough sprocket for that size chain. it just wont work, but hey, what wrong with a 1/5 - 1/6 reduction straight drive from crank shaft to wheel ...??
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 AM

i suppose. but what i have is a 21 speed. couldnt you rin the chain to the biggest sproket nd then have the power be on the smallest one? it would give good power i think, and i could shif up and get a higher top speed, what u said is on a site, cant remember, but they send you motor and all you need and it has a sproket diretly on axel.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:18 PM

i think bike chain would hold if you think you can ride up a steeper hill than any engine culd get up i think that if you run a chain from the crank on the largest cog to a clutch on the engine or a jack shaft close to the engine with a chan that fits the clutch the a small bike sproket to the crank or do it like i did when i put a chain saw engine on a bike get a thin stunt peg and bolt it on the crank shaft nut then make a moutn with a stron spring to kepp the peg on the wheel then just strt to ride then the engine will start to stop it i duno i just unscrewd the tick over nedle so if i let of the throttle it would stop
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Its not about whether you can ride up a steep hill or not, one of the top world sprinters outs out about 1/4 horse power at best and you a talkin a 2-3 horse power chain saw motor. its just too much for that little chain. best thing would be to buy a mini bike from with some basic running gear(ebay) and do that up. its what im doing, rather than making one (which i had previously thought about). good luck
Old 01-14-2007, 05:25 PM

all righty thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Hey,
I was just about to put a new thread up. I have a homelite XL-2 chainsaw on a trek. All i have to do is put the chain on and some how hook a thottle up. I will have pictures on my thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmerflyer For This Useful Post:
2or3wheels (01-15-2007)
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM

thanks ill look into that
Closed Thread