Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

1st, does the air filter HAVE to go all the way over the adapter? If you can, scoot the air filter forward a little and hose clamp it on out a little farther. Another option is drilling into the back side of the adapter, the side facing the carb. From either of these points you could run a bracket up to the level of the arm and attach the fitting there.

I think I get what you're saying about the frame, but I think you need to attach it to a front piece of the frame (in front of the engine). Am I misunderstanding you?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
redneck engineer

If you attach it in front of the engine then it would be backwards. Because then it'd pull the arm to idle having it from the back would pull it from idle to above idle
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Sorry, you're right. I'm not really familiar with the stock setup (scrapped mine the second I got the engine). Your idea from before would work then. Just make sure you have a straight shot to the throttle arm. I guess you might run into interference with the gas tank.

Other than that I think you have it. Good luck on the build!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
redneck engineer

I would run into that. But the problem is the throttle arm off dosent put tension on the spring which is why I think it's backfiring and not starting. I don't know, I'm just a kid trying to learn about engines. This is the 2nd motor I've ever had and the first one was just a pit of money needed parts everyday one thing got fixed then the next thing broke. But thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Since you haven't messed with anything inside the engine, I think the problem in some way involves the carb. Make sure you eventually re-jet the carb (#90 is recommended I think) for the high flow intake. Also keep looking around the Engines and Clutches section for similar threads. Someone may have had the same problem. Hope you can figure it out!

What was your other engine?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
redneck engineer

What does re jetting the carb consist of? And a really bad techumseh 3.5 model h35 and it was just terrible
Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Yeah. I've never seen a techumseh engine that worked well.

Re-jetting the carb consists of drilling out the main jet, which I would not recommend, or buying a bigger main jet. Lawn mower shops should sell them or you can get them online. affordablegokarts.com and nr-racing.com I know have them.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 PM
redneck engineer

Ohkay thankyou. You said it sounds like it has something to do with the carb. Toystory said it wasn't true but here's what I was thinking. Since the one wire dosent have enough tension to pull the carb shut. It's stuck wide open like this (l) because it looks like that and when I push it forward it looks to close. So do you think it's like flooded and backfiring to get rid of the left Over gas?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

When you start the engine (if the governor arm is hooked up like stock) the governor will immediately push the throttle inside the carb closed unless the throttle arm is on anything but idle (turtle). This is what toystory was saying also (I think), and this is how the engines run stock. See if the governor arm moves when you use the pull start. If it does than I am correct. Remember the throttle arm has to be on the lowest setting.

I always thought backfiring was due to flooding so it's strange that your engine is. There can be other reasons though; I just don't know them. That's why I say it's the carb. Everything should be working fine with a stock setup if not running lean (opposite of backfiring?). Are you getting a consistent spark?

Going to sleep. Will respond tomorrow
Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 AM
redneck engineer

It could be how you said. But if thats so how could it be flooded? It would be flooded if the governor was stuck open and constantly putting out gas. So if that's right it's flooded and backfiring. And it slipped my mind but I should check the spark plug for wetness because if it's wet. It's flooded. Do you think that since it's possibly flooded. It's still starting off the gas but when all the more gas comes in it backfires to get rid of the excess instead of start? And how much are main jets? So I can re-jet the carb. My thing is I'm looking for performance and more power but I don't have the money to get the mikuni carbs And Billit rods and everything . So I'm trying to stay away from the higher priced items
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Jets are like $6 MAX so not a high priced item. It's not really a power giver as much as the intake, but you have to get it with the high flow intake so that you don't run lean. Basically it will make your new intake work properly.

As far as the flooded thing goes I really don't know. Other than looking at the governor arm while you pull it, I don't have any more ideas. Like I said earlier, I don't have any experience with stock engines.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Have you checked your gaskets? When you took off the stock air filter, you may have misaligned or torn one of the gaskets (those things are pretty fragile). Gaskets are pretty cheap also, so check that.

Also, if you are looking for any kind of performance upgrade, I would scrap the governor. It could just be me, but that is the first thing to do if you're looking for any kind of performance. I think you should consider taking it out. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM
redneck engineer

what number is recommended? and im going to look at that, and the only gasket there is behind the carb and not in front of it, the adaptor goes on in front of the carb. and if i scrap the governor i would have to find some way to hook up a throttle so its not full on throttle all the time, i just need a way to control the throttle, and even tho i like speed and power, i want to at least be able to stop it in an emergency situation, i dont want it full throttle all the time, that would be ****, i just want a controlled throttle
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendelrk View Post
i want to at least be able to stop it in an emergency situation
It's called brakes.

The links I posted on this thread mostly deal with ungoverned throttle mechanisms. affordablegokarts.com has an entire page devoted to them. I made mine for free with the parts from the stock mechanism so it's not expensive or complicated. In fact, ungoverned throttles are less complicated than governed ones if you think about it: one arm, one spring and a cable attachment. Also ungoverned throttle mechanisms do not run full throttle all the time.

By the way, you should have a gasket on the front of the carb. Check to see if it got suck on the stock airbox when you removed it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
redneck engineer

i will look for the front gasket, its ran without it all this time, and how would i un govern it?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Cockney Ragamuffin

DUDE! I sent you the link already!

Here it is again http://www.affordablegokarts.com/govenor-removal.php

Do this and then make a throttle linkage that looks some thing like this http://www.affordablegokarts.com/throttle-linkage.php

Also check out post #37 on this thread

This is really the way to go. Keeping the governor in the engine is for drivers who don't know how fast they should drive. Your engine will not really go TOO much faster unless you upgrade it some more, but removing the governor makes the engine more suitable for a vehicle as opposed to a piece of industrial equipment. The driver has much more control.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
redneck engineer

just as long as it dosent turn into an exploding under my *** grenade, everything will be great, i wish there were mini bike races in michigan "/
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,693 Posts

Again- The governor does not do anything until AFTER the engine has started...
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 PM
redneck engineer

well greatly i got it running, and decided to re-jet it to a number 90 main jet, after wards, with all my bolts tight it seems to be leaking gas from the bowl. and also, it only starts when the throttle body is open so much, sounds gas starved and dies right out in about 1-2 seconds, and i pull it 1-3 times, and it does it again, and it only starts no matter what if the gas is on, one thing is, i think i may have the emultion tube in wrong, im not sure at all, does it sounds like it is?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 PM