Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:25 AM

Default electric pocket bike

Hey guys,
i usually do stuff to do with go karts and stuff but i love to mess around with minibikes.
I have had this idea of making a bike from scratch and putting a decent engine in there but the neighbors are all old and i'm sure i would be pulled up pretty quick, so i figured electric would be a little more acceptable.

i am going to weld the frame from scratch thats no problemo but i need to find a motor, i have picked up a 12 v starter motor from a car which has a lot of torque and i could gear it to get the top speed, but im not sure if it would do the job.

If you could give me some advice with electric motors, gearing or bikes in general i would much appreciate it

thanks,
Brendan
Old 12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,021 Times in 427 Posts

I think a starter motor wouldn't last long -- i think they overheat. But that's just hear-say. Lots of people use golf cart motors.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM

i saw this guys go kart on a different website and at first he had a starter motor from a car. He said he had 2 speeds off and fully on. he said this is how it goes, first you turn the switch on then a blinding sparks and away you go REALLY fast. The only thing was his gokart was made of wood... so i would say that motor might work but a golf cart motor or: http://www.solarnavigator.net/lynch_motor_sales.htm (LEM 170). Definately get a variable speed controller.
Closed Thread