Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Crazy Craigslist Finds

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Default Can anyone identify this?

New guy here looking to get into karting, I'm pretty handy with mechanical stuff.

This seems to be the best thing I can find for the money around here. It's pretty far from my home so I can't just run over and look at it. Anyone recognize the model? If so, were these any good?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5133717206.html

I know it's pretty rough looking, but it has suspension on the front at least. Any idea if it has suspension on the back? I asked the guy for more pics, but I haven't gotten any yet.

I'm thinking of offering him $225 if he delivers it. The reason being that I need a 2-seater big enough for adults to fit in so I can ride with my 11 year old daughter while she learns. It also has some suspension so I like that. Most stuff around here is wayyyyy overpriced. I'd also like to be able to gearhead it myself at times and would like to build a Stage 4 Predator for it in the long run.

Does it look like the roll cage isn't fitting on there right like maybe some stuff is bent?

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Roll cage looks straight to me. The front left tire is flat so its sitting unlevel.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the reply Joe-405. I didn't notice the flat tire before. In the picture taken from the rear, it looks like the passenger side roll bar isn't sitting on the "post" protruding upward. To me it appears to be outside of it, or is that just how that fits together?

Any idea who manufactured this thing and/or how old it might be? Based upon some e-mail conversation, the guy selling it isn't very mechanically inclined. He paid a "mechanic" to look at it and he said it needs a new carb. Apparently the mechanic got it started, but it seems that the owner can't even accomplish that much on his own. It sounds like the owner didn't hear it run so he knows nothing about the condition of it, other than it needing a throttle cable installed. I guess he can't do that either.

I don't mind having to replace the engine since a brand new Predator is only $100, but I can probably fix the engine that's on it. It seems most small engine shops would rather change a carb than clean one. I'm not like that myself, I don't mind tinkering for hours on things to save buying parts. I just want to be sure that the chassis is worth messing with. I guess I need to drive out and look it over this week.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:49 PM

I'd say go for it on the predator, would be a lot more powerful than the 5.0hp and you can always throw that 5hp on a minibike or a single seater kart....personally I don't know if a 5hp would be great for a kart that size, but that stage 4 predator would definitely get the job done..