Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Should be in the shop...

OK interesting setup. You will probably struggle to find a new hub for that right hand wheel. Are there any makes or markings on the kart?

You know what would be awesome though?
The two engines, stock or mildly modified, connected by a jackshaft. Run a sprocket from engine to jackshaft, then have some form of clutch from jackshaft to rear axle.

Have the engines setup so that one is on power stroke whilst the other is on exhaust stroke. This way it would be similar to having one two cylinder 288cc engine. Awesome!
You would probably have just over 10HP, providing you don't modify. You could run either a heavy duty 3/4" clutch from jackshaft to axle, or go all out with a comet 30 or comet 40.

Would be sweet.
Jackshaft and sprockets and chain would be around 60. Cent clutch if you need a new one would be 40, and a torque converter would be 2-300.

BTW if you need anything machined (i.e. lathe and mill stuff) give us a shout! You are in the UK, right (IIRC?!?)
Solidshot (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Heres are the photos of the axle and hub (They should be attached!)

Anyways after looking at the go kart and having some serious thoughts im not a whole lot sure that it would be possible to mount a second engine on there! In the next couple of days im going to get out there with a tape measure and check properly though to make sure! Also what is this jackshaft you talk of? lol massive confusion lol

Final question, I believe the oil that was recommended by somone of here was 10w30, but i also saw a video online of this guy getting a engine ready for racing and he said about using 5w15, is this a good idea? And if either of them, how much oil should a be putting in? Whats going to give me the best performace?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0658.jpg   IMG_0659.jpg  

IMG_0660.jpg   IMG_0661.jpg  

IMG_0662.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_chez_08 View Post
OK interesting setup. You will probably struggle to find a new hub for that right hand wheel. Are there any makes or markings on the kart?

You know what would be awesome though?
The two engines, stock or mildly modified, connected by a jackshaft. Run a sprocket from engine to jackshaft, then have some form of clutch from jackshaft to rear axle.

Have the engines setup so that one is on power stroke whilst the other is on exhaust stroke. This way it would be similar to having one two cylinder 288cc engine. Awesome!
You would probably have just over 10HP, providing you don't modify. You could run either a heavy duty 3/4" clutch from jackshaft to axle, or go all out with a comet 30 or comet 40.

Would be sweet.
Jackshaft and sprockets and chain would be around 60. Cent clutch if you need a new one would be 40, and a torque converter would be 2-300.

BTW if you need anything machined (i.e. lathe and mill stuff) give us a shout! You are in the UK, right (IIRC?!?)
To the best of my knowledge its a thunderkart, i brought it cheaply from a friend of a friend. He said they have just been sitting there for a good 3-4 years doing nothing.
Also could you explain the jackshaft and the power/exhaust stroke part?
Getting hold of sprockets and chains shouldnt be to hard as theres a shop just down the road that build/repairs/sells mini motos, midi motos, pit bikes, that kidna thing, so im assuming he may be a good sauce of chains and sprockets! Also brakes!
Which is something i may have to look in to also, if i do stick another engine on the kart, obviously im going to need some serious brakes, ATM ive just go a disc on the axle and two pads either side, ill try and get a picture tomorrow, but it doesnt seem as if it could stop 10hp thats for sure!

But yeah i live in England, ill give you a heads up if i need anything, thanks bud

Also does anyone know of anywhere i might be able to get hold of a CHEAP racing kart chassis? Id like one with wheels, but i will take one without
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,676 Posts

That hub sure looks like a free wheel, exactly the same as my daughters kart. It's a live axle but, as there's nothing locking the hub to the axle, it works like a dead axle.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Web I tighten the nut at the end of the axle the hub tightens slightly and moves with the axle a little more then before. Could this be why, when I had it out and I put my foot down the back end swerved out to the back right?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Should be in the shop...

Read this-
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1802
Meant compression, not power stroke.
Basically have one engine on the compression stroke whilst the other is on exhaust.
http://www.animatedengines.com/otto.html
You should not tighten the nut so much that the hub cannot spin freely. You will damage the bearings.
As for oil, some of this should be fine. It is what I run in my clone. You can get about 2 oil changes outta that. Also, it is designed for a splash lubrication system like on mowers and our karts.

If you were looking at converting to a "live axle" which is frankly better IMO, then you need a new hub. Measure the PCD (bolt pattern) of the old hubs, and the axle diameter.
You may be lucky and find a standard UK racing kart PCD is the same. You can get 'long' racing hubs for the axle, which could allow you to mount the hubs at the same position as the other side. here are some hubs-
http://www.kartstore.co.uk/shop.cfm?cat=1569&node=248