Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Trying to make a mini bike

Hey guys this is my first post and I'm just looking for some suggestions. I want to build a mini bike because I enjoy building things but more importantly because I don't want to spend the money to buy one. I'm planning on making an offroad one. I'm using a 5hp engine that I'm getting from a friend. I don't have a welder so I want to try and buy a frame. I was wondering where I should look for a frame. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist and have found some things that would maybe work but nothing fantastic. I'm trying to spend less than 200 bucks overall. Does anyone know where I can get a frame or do any of you have any you would sell? And is there anything else you recommend for me being a first time builder? Thanks

P.S. Sorry its so long
Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM

keep checking at the garbage dump, and make a friend there. also check in at the mower repair shops. sometimes customers abandon them cause of a bill on it.--phil
Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,021 Times in 427 Posts

try northern tools.

click "frames" on the left.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM

the problem is that if i buy a frame for 150 plus shipping thats pretty much my entire budget. Remember I said I want to spend under 200 if possible. I'll check at mower repair shops but there arent any junkyards even close to here.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,021 Times in 427 Posts

ahh, i thought the frame budget was 200.

You can score old frames especially from swap meets. See about some in your area!

Otherwise, keep your eyes on Craigslist.com, local thrifty nickel, etc.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:41 PM

if you dont mind not having good looks make a frame from box section i did that on my first onne i payed sombody to weld it for 40$ then go on a website for the parts you need like wheels thats what i did and i eneded up making one under 150 and it was fine
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 AM

Be VERY CAREFULL buying a frame off ebay, I've seen alot of frames there made from black pipe, as well as bad welds...... I can't believe that people would sell them and expect others to ride them around at 30+mph... don't get me wrong there's ALOT of cool - quality frames there....

BMI kart sells pretty cool frames, some unwelded.

Here's a link to a frame I've used several times and it works well..... $79.00 with a telescopic fork!!!!

http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1...showFullImage=

Where are you from? If you happen to live anywhere near Albany, NY, I'd weld it up for you.
Closed Thread