Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:26 AM

Mal, I'll get a photo ASAP. Works well on my C model, which has the coil under the flywheel. Does the D model feature the external coil?
Bill
Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM

My friends is a D model i think. Has magneto thingy on outside with a wire running under the flywheel so i assume it has points etc under there. Havn't had the flywheel off yet though.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 PM

Hi again, Attached are photos of the Victa module as fitted to my C model engine. Installation is easy, just find a good place to put the module and attach the wires to the terminal that otherwise go to the points. Do not include the condenser (capacitor) in this connection. As long as the module is well earthed, it is not critical where it goes. Hide it somewhere so that only you know of the deception!!!!
Keep the old ones going. Bill
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyvicta View Post
My friends is a D model i think. Has magneto thingy on outside with a wire running under the flywheel so i assume it has points etc under there. Havn't had the flywheel off yet though.
Yep the points and condenser are under the flywheel on the D400/D500 much the same as the C series. only difference i can find so far is the governor arm is near the points and condenser on the C series. and on the D series the governor arm is outside the points/condenser area on top of a dust cover.
the C series doesnt have the dust cover, well not the C12 anyway.
Pete
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboldrusty70 View Post
Hi again, Attached are photos of the Victa module as fitted to my C model engine. Installation is easy, just find a good place to put the module and attach the wires to the terminal that otherwise go to the points. Do not include the condenser (capacitor) in this connection. As long as the module is well earthed, it is not critical where it goes. Hide it somewhere so that only you know of the deception!!!!
Keep the old ones going. Bill
Hi Bill...no photos?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 AM

Hi Mal, I am attempting to attach photos, but not having much luck. I will keep working on it.
Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 AM

Default Photo problem

I think I have found the problem - photo size too big. Wrong setting on the camera, so I'll try again tomorrow.
Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Photos

Hi, I've been educated and learnt this new technology, so I have attached 2 photos of the Victa ignition module as fitted to my C12. Hope these help.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0142.JPG   SANY0143.JPG  

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 AM

Thanks Bill, tidy wee unit..and you got this off a standard Victa? Or are the Powertorque ones different? Quite keen to fit these units to a couple of my often used Ironhorse mowers. Just in the process of restoring a C12 mower but have got brand new points and condensor for it..will post photos when its finished, within a couple of weeks I hope. Thanks for the pics!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 AM

Pleased the photos worked this time.
The module is from a powertorque engine, which has been the same one since the inception of this engine, until they changed to the integral unit a couple of years ago. If they work, they work, or they have failed, That is the only test I know of for modules. I think they are still available in Aus, at a price of about $A30.00. Can check if you need any.
Bill
Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboldrusty70 View Post
Pleased the photos worked this time.
The module is from a powertorque engine, which has been the same one since the inception of this engine, until they changed to the integral unit a couple of years ago. If they work, they work, or they have failed, That is the only test I know of for modules. I think they are still available in Aus, at a price of about $A30.00.
the module is available here in NZ for cheap-ish at any mower shop or you can pick up complete engines for a similar price/less. P/T engine hasn't had that module for quite a while now. ..maybe 10 years? or more even.... i reckon i've only seen them on 1990's and earlier machines.

Anyway yeh i have quite a few lying around so will put one on my friends masport and see what happens
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Hi all,

Bill thought you might be interested in this old girl..I've basically finished it apart from forgetting to paint the starter bolts..this is the motor in my youtube video spruced up..this is a 1955 mower from what I can tell, colours suck but are pretty close to original. Hope this spurs you on with your C-12! Cheers.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3019.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	14732

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3022.JPG
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	14733

Name:	DSCF3024.JPG
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	14734

Name:	DSCF3025.JPG
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	14735
Old 07-16-2011, 02:57 AM

Hi Mal, looks really good. I'm between "restoring" mine or leaving it in its "working clothes". I thing working clothes make it look a little more realistic, and since rust is not a serious problem with it just now, that seems to be the prefered.
While on the line, have you ever heard of a breed of mower called a "Park"? I have one, it is powered by a JAP engine, and I think it would be from the mid '50's.
Bill
Closed Thread